Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Freshman User

ehaiss is starting off with a positive reputation.
2005 Expedition Second Spark Plug Change

As some of you know, I have already had the spark plugs changed on my 2005 Expedition with the 5.4L 3V that is imfamous for them sticking in the head. The dealer did the change and told me they have put high temperature antisieze on the replacements.

The replacement was done at around 65,000 miles, and I know have 93,000 on it, I am thinking about changing them again, to avoid the $2,000 bill it cost me the first time.

Does anyone know how easy the second replacement is? I know the plugs are 100,000 mile plugs, but I want to avoid them locking in again. Maybe I can get by with pulling the plugs, and refresshing the anti sieze. Any thoughts?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Senior User

97ExpGuy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here's your answer:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/91...ml#post8337067

Also look at this:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/90...ml#post8219650

Additional Info:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/71...ose-plugs.html

If you search "spark plug" in the '2004 - 2008 F-150' forum you will find a lot of answers to your questions.

So far it looks that maybe leaving the plugs in the head longer will run the chance of them becoming weaker but others say leave them in till they are due. My advice would be to follow the advice of the three posts above and take your time.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Posting Guru

fordtech08 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think your wasting your money
77 F100
Old 01-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Freshman User

Thanks '97ExpGuy. Interesting reading.

I already went through the pain of the initial change. I broke the first two I tried (using the TSB wethod), then took it to the dealer, where he broke 5 of the remaining 6. 7 of 8 would not come out cleanly. They pulled the body off the chasis to remove them, hence the $2,000 bill . . .

I am wondering if anyone knows if the anti-sieze works to keep them from siezing? With 30k+ on this set, I want to make sure it really fixed the issue.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaiss View Post
I am wondering if anyone knows if the anti-sieze works to keep them from siezing?
That's the job of anti-sieze. The unknown vaiable is if they really used it or not. BTW, why are you changing plugs at all? You're not supposed to change them until 100K miles and here you're ready to install a second set in less than 100K.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Posting Guru

fordtech08 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have yet to see a body come off to take plugs out
77 F100
Old 01-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Freshman User

Why change the plugs?

alloro, good question. I read about the issue on the forum, and thought I would head it off at the pass by trying to change them at 60k miles. I broke the first one, then the second, and the rest is history. Having lived through that experience I don't want it to happen again.

fordtech08, I know it seems odd. The tech told me the tool he has would not fit under the cowl section, and it was easier to remove the body than the heads. Not sure. He did give me the plugs back and they were a mess. It sounds like the new removal tool is a better design.

Maybe I will try to pull the first one or two, and if they come out smoothly, I will leave well enough alone.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaiss View Post
Maybe I will try to pull the first one or two, and if they come out smoothly, I will leave well enough alone.
You do realize that it's the other 6 or 7 that will end up being the problem down the road.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Senior User

pgonza2723 is starting off with a positive reputation.
unless crap plugs went into the truck the second time around are crap I wouldn't worry about it.

2001 Vortech'd Mustang GT
Old 01-08-2010, 10:41 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
2003, 2005, 3v, 54, change, changing, expedition, expedtion, ford, plug, plugs, removal, replacement, spark, torque