Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck will not start!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:07 PM
johntmarshall
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Truck will not start!

Welp,

I have changed out the following. Coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, stator. It will turn but not start.

I have been told to reset the inertia switch to see what this does. Anyway I was thinking about the remote ingition module replacement. However I have read alot of stuff on here about it. Downloaded some pictures and such however I can not find it within the engine compartment. It is not attached to the distributor.

Any help would be great.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:25 PM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts
John you should add some more info about your truck, engine, year, etc. It will help members to better offer recommendations to you.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:09 PM
johntmarshall
New User
truck information

My Baby as my wife calls it!

1995 Ford F150 4x4
Choo Choo Custom (which just means I paid alot for it back in 95 LOL)
351 Windsor EFI
139,000 miles

I have had to do no work to this truck and over the past 7 years it has been sitting in my shop out of the weather in all.

Any ideas on getting it moving again.

Here are the Symptoms:

Before it finally stopped running;

It would idle just fine then all of a sudden just stop running not all the time. I would et it sit for awhile and it would start right back up. Then this issue went away for like a month. Then when it was sitting there running while I was working on a project it just died and never started again.

I can not get any codes off the PCM because my Autoscan 6000 tells me that the vehicle is not responding. I would hate to buy a new computer to findout it was something alot cheaper. any ideas? I am going to reset the inertia switch this evening. I am thinking about changing the Remote Ignition Module however I do not know where it is located. I know that it is not on the distributor.
Here is what I have repalced;
Coil, Fuel Filter, distributor cap, rotor, stator, Fuses. The motor turns but I do not think it is getting any spark after all this.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:14 PM
88n94
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
The remote ignition module is what I would try next. It should be on top of the drivers side fenderwell.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:56 PM
johntmarshall
New User
I will find this thing this evening and pull it.

Now I read a very long discussion between some of you gentlemen concerning the part numbers and wrong items being supplied by part stores and such. Should I assume that these issues are now resolved with this particular part?

The numbers I have are as follows. ( I am not trying to insite a riot just covering my butt)

F1PZ12A297A R/B 5U2Z12A297D I will also make certain that the color is the same.

ThAnks

Old 01-07-2010, 03:22 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you think its not getting spark , just pull a plug & ground it to the block , turn the truck over with the starter & see if you have a good spark then go from there. For the motor to run you need fuel , spark & compression...Lew

Old 01-07-2010, 03:46 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 225 Likes on 176 Posts
No the issues are not resolved with this particular part (ICM)?
They will try to sell you a Gray one.
Make sure you buy a Black ICM.

I do not think your ICM is bad as they very seldom go bad after they moved them to the remote mounting.

If you do not have spark unplug the PCM Computer plug and see if the spark returns.
If the spark returns then you have a bad PCM Computer 98% of the time.
The other 2% is the PCM not having a good ground return or no power to it.

The engine will not start with the PCM unplugged as the injectors will not be firing but you can check to see if the PCM is killing the spark.

The I ICM will not stop you from getting codes.

ICM Location:

/

Old 01-08-2010, 11:40 AM
johntmarshall
New User
got it running

Well I got it running.

Thanks for all the information. I did find the Remote Ignition Modlue I just did not know what I was looking at. Now I understand the big heat sink they have it attached to.

After getting off work I took apart the passenger kick panel to locate the Inertia Switch. After reading some stuff about how these things go bad I figured I would try resetting it. I knoticed that the button was half surpressed and used a very small screw driver to pop it all the way back up. The truck would still not start. So I took a small piece of wire and by passed it. I also moved some of the 1"X1" modules around within the fuse inclosure within the Engine compartment just to see what would work and what would not. Then all of a sudden like majic the truck started. I let it run for awhile shut it off waited for it to cool off and it started right back up. Now I need to replace the Ineria Switch, clean the heck out of the modules and fuse box connections to make certain that this does not happen again. Thanks yawl for all your help and all the wonderful information you all place on this forum.

Now time to clean up my mess, put things back together and do a break job.

Very high regards!
John

Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 AM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
wow, thats very cool you got it to start. I replace the coil if it has no spark, but after that its harder to find why there is no spark. Awesome

Old 01-08-2010, 12:12 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
The Inertia Switch has nothing to do with spark. Push the button on top to reset it.
The modules as you call them are relays.
None of the relays have anything to do with spark.

I do not think your problem is over yet.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:31 PM
johntmarshall
New User
Humm? I was planning to put the Autoscan 6000 on the PCM and see what error coed it gives me. If you were in my possition where would you look next?

Old 01-08-2010, 03:28 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
If you have wrong what I think you have wrong the scanner will work and give you codes when it is running OK. But when it does not start the scanner will not work.
The next time it does not start and has no spark unplug the PCM and see if spark returns.

If it does not then look at the Ignition Switch, if it does then look for a new PCM Computer.