Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Seafoam or other engine treatments

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Smokedagin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seafoam or other engine treatments

Any recommendations? I'm getting ready to change my oil and thinking about running an engine treatment through it before I do. What do you guys think?

Old 01-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Put one quart of ATF in and run the engine for 20-30min then drain, fit new filter and refill with fresh oil.
Just my opinion.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:17 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did a 50/50 mix in my 6.9 last year. Put 5 quarts of Automatic transmission fluid in it, and 5 quarts of motor oil and go for a nice long hard ride.

Drive it like you stoll it at times.

When you get back, drop the oil and replace filter.

If you think the engine is still dirty inside, repeat the process again at your next oil change.

When I did it to the 6.9, I notice a small differents in power and gained abit of oil pressure.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:30 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Diesel has more detergents than regular oil. How are you determining the inside is dirty.
Or you doing this as a precaution.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Smokedagin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by starmilt
Diesel has more detergents than regular oil. How are you determining the inside is dirty.
Or you doing this as a precaution.
I don't know if it needs it or not or if there's any benefit to it. I'm just asking. I thought this would be a good time to do it if I'm going to.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:31 PM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i will warn you from experience.if your going to use sea-foam in your oil and you have a small oil leak after you use the seafoam i will be a bigger oil leak.yes its a good cleaner but i wont use it in the oil ever again.it took me forever to track all the leaks and get them stopped

Old 01-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Gale Hawkins
Senior User
WARNING: If you are going to use Sea Foam do some shopping for price. I just paid $60 for a gallon at Advanced Auto last week. Yesterday I bought a gallon of Sea Foam at TSC (Tractor Supply Company) for $40 and it was NOT on sale. This gets the cost per 16 oz down to $5.

With a diesel you DO NOT want to put it in the intake because it will RUN AWAY on you so only put it in fuel tank. I will put it in the crank case for the last 1-3 hours before an oil change but would not if it was going to be working hard like climbing a mountain.

In the gas stuff I use in in tank, intake and crankcase. Yesterday we stock piled gas for the generator and it all got Sea Foam to stablize the gas and WM 2 cycle TCW3 just for the heck of it. The 2 cycle oil really makes the diesel more quite at idle in our case.

I moved from Sta-Bil to Sea Foam. A local shop told me he would not look at my car until I used a couple tanks treated with Sea Foam. The poor running went away as the shop owner expected so i have used Sea Foam ever since.

After 50 years of being on the market and more and more people using it today many must have had a positive experience with Sea Foam as well. The MH has a 60 gallon tank and the F700 a 50 gallon tank so I put about 1/2 gallon in each this time of the year.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:09 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rupejosh
i will warn you from experience.if your going to use sea-foam in your oil and you have a small oil leak after you use the seafoam i will be a bigger oil leak.yes its a good cleaner but i wont use it in the oil ever again.it took me forever to track all the leaks and get them stopped
I have never used seafoam. But I like info like this.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:28 PM
dakotajeep
Laughing Gas
guys....

If you have leaks anything you use to clean it will make leaks worse. Most likely build up of crap will be dislodged and create a bigger leak. It just makes sense.

No one cleaner will be that much worse than the other in terms of making leaks worse (unless the cleaning agent isnt working!!!)

Good Luck to the OP.....

Thad

Old 01-07-2010, 05:32 PM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dakotajeep
guys....

If you have leaks anything you use to clean it will make leaks worse. Most likely build up of crap will be dislodged and create a bigger leak. It just makes sense.

No one cleaner will be that much worse than the other in terms of making leaks worse (unless the cleaning agent isnt working!!!)

Good Luck to the OP.....

Thad
i have used some of the other "big name"cleaners and sea foam by far cleaned the best,i had oil leaks eveywhere.lol after an entire day of finding them and tightening bolts and replacing a couple gaskets i will not use it in the oil again.lol i will and do however use it in the fuel

Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 PM
dakotajeep
Laughing Gas
My point is that no matter what cleaning agent you use it should remove gunk that is clogging pre-existing leaks.

Sea Foam is most likely more potent but any decent cleaner should do the same thing.....

Thad

Old 01-07-2010, 05:57 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Seafoam must be a regional thing as I had never heard of it until I started messing with a boat forum a couple years ago. and for several years I had every snakeoil salesman in the world come to the shop on regular schedules, I thought.
Never seen it in a parts house or tractor supply never heard of it at all.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:04 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
a properly maintained engine will remain clean inside.change the oil and filter regularly and you wont have sludge in your engine.
the old ATF in the oil before the change,is not needed if you maintain it.beside this,it doesn't have the lubricity that oil has,so while your running it,even if its a small amount of time,you can hurt the bearings.
most used 1 quart.over that,and your asking for trouble.
there are more modern ways.the best way,is to simply maintain the engine properly in the first place.my 2 pennies.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Smokedagin
Freshman User
I have used it in my outboards and small engines, in the fuel system. It cleans them really well. Sounds like it cleans engines too if it opens up leaks. My truck doesn't leak a drop of anything. I'm wondering if that might change if I run Seafaom through the oil.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:16 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Guys I have never had to teardown a 6.9 but have many truck and tractor diesels that go many miles more than ours in between oil changes and sludge has never been an issue. usually you can wipe everything clean with a rag. diesel oil is highly deturgent.

Quick Reply: Seafoam or other engine treatments