1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

HELP WITH CHIPS!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:40 PM
fordf150farmer
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HELP WITH CHIPS!!!!!!!!

ok guys and gals, im gonna try to explain this as best i can so bear with me please.

my girlfriend recently got a 99 f150 4x4 extended cab with the 5.4l v8. the truck has 175,000 miles on it. the truck ran great when she got it, then within the last maybe two weeks it has developed a knock. then even more recently it started running extremly rough at idle. the oil is fairly new, and is the correct oil and at the propper level. the truck is supposed to have a super chips chip in it, and it did have one for sure at one point. the previous owners only ran 93 octane with the chip. well my girlfriend has been running 87 since she got it 1.5 weeks before xmas. i have heard that if you were to run 87 in say a lincoln navigator that is sposed to take 93 it will have simmilar simptoms. so my question is: is this the problem with this f150? i have heard that with chips you should only run the good stuff, is this true? would this cause a knock and rough running at idle? also, where should i look for this chip at so that i can remove it? what does it look like? i really apriciate any help you all can give me. thanks for your time and input.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:39 AM
highteckredneck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well if it is a chip like you say, then it would be plugged into your ECU. then your harness plugs into that. so just fond your ECU and there it is. as for your fuel, it doesnt realy matter what type you run. i had a program and a chip on my old ford and i ran whatever was cheap. then i started with 110 octane i got only at the track. so i never had any issues with fuel and engine trouble even thought they say to run 93 octane or whatever it tuned for, its just performance. better fuel, better power, thats all.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:22 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by highteckredneck
well if it is a chip like you say, then it would be plugged into your ECU. then your harness plugs into that. so just fond your ECU and there it is. as for your fuel, it doesnt realy matter what type you run. i had a program and a chip on my old ford and i ran whatever was cheap. then i started with 110 octane i got only at the track. so i never had any issues with fuel and engine trouble even thought they say to run 93 octane or whatever it tuned for, its just performance. better fuel, better power, thats all.
No, "chips" for the EEC-V PCM's are installed on the service port, not inline with the PCM.
Fuel grade DOES matter,and the detonation that will result from use of 87 octane if the "chip" is setup with 93 octane spark tables WILL cause damage.
With those facts out of the way,I don't think that's really the problem here. It sounds like the truck needs some TLC in the form of a tune-up. Start with a code scanner or datalogger to see what's going on , and then do repairs as necessary.
JL

Old 01-07-2010, 07:39 AM
stir11
New User
poor performance

I have a 2002 fx4 5.4L with K&N + gotts mod + super chip.
If you should try high octane fuel after you reset the the truck by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Run a couple of tanks of higher octane fuel. then decide if the fuel is the problem. (I think you will like the results)
PS The super chip programmer installs its program in the trucks computer, there are no extra parts installed or hanging from your wire harness

Old 01-07-2010, 10:24 AM
redwood
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe you can take it to a dealership and have the PCM flashed with the OEM programming....

Old 01-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by redwood
I believe you can take it to a dealership and have the PCM flashed with the OEM programming....
Yes,you can. But,if this truck is "chipped", all he needs to do is remove the "chip" and the PCM will be right back the way it was before the "chip" was installed.
JL

Old 01-07-2010, 03:30 PM
phil6608
Post Fiend
A programmer installs the program through the service port!
A chip is installed in the computer.
There is more then one kid of chip/programmer.
My truck has a SCT switch chip and it's installed in the computer and I have a switch to change between 4 or 5 different programs.
If I pull the chip out ,,it will be on the stock program.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:00 PM
fordf150farmer
Tuned
ok so it sounds to me like what i need to do is pull the chip, and unhook the battery to reset the computer, if i am thinking right, this should set everything to the factory setting. then if the problems go away great, and if not, we have a more serious internal problem. thanks to all of the input. any idea where this chip is going to be located? and for that matter, where is the trucks computer located?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by phil6608
A programmer installs the program through the service port!
No,it does not. It uses the OBD-2 interface to reflash the PCM. The J3 "service port" is on the main board and end of the case on EEC-IV and EEC-V PCM's.
JL

Old 01-07-2010, 08:41 PM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
No,it does not. It uses the OBD-2 interface to reflash the PCM. The J3 "service port" is on the main board and end of the case on EEC-IV and EEC-V PCM's.
JL
Now you have me confused!
So whats the thingy under the steering wheel to the right called? That you plug into to run a scanner/programmer to search for codas?
That's what I was calling the service port.

According to your description,
my chip is in the end of the service port.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by phil6608
Now you have me confused!
So whats the thingy under the steering wheel to the right called? That you plug into to run a scanner/programmer to search for codas?
That's what I was calling the service port.

According to your description,
my chip is in the end of the service port.
That's correct,the "port" under the steering wheel is where you'd plug in your code scanner or a flash tuner device..and your chip is plugged into the service port on the PCM.
JL

Old 01-08-2010, 07:54 AM
stir11
New User
superchip

My superchip is a hand held device which uses the OBD connection under the drivers side dash to install software to the onboard computer.
If this is what you have the original vehicle program is saved in the programmer---so if you are not happy with the software you use the programmer( plugged into the OBD) to reinstall the original vehicle program, and all is back to factory spec!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:09 AM
fordf150farmer
Tuned
Originally Posted by stir11
My superchip is a hand held device which uses the OBD connection under the drivers side dash to install software to the onboard computer.
If this is what you have the original vehicle program is saved in the programmer---so if you are not happy with the software you use the programmer( plugged into the OBD) to reinstall the original vehicle program, and all is back to factory spec!

well if this is the case with my girlfriends, then houston we have a problem. because there is no hand held device with the truck. that said, it is supposed to be an actual chip, not a programer. the only thing i cant figure out at this point is where to find it. i have never had to look for the trucks computer and i am clueless as to where to start looking. i would assume that once i find it, i should find the chip, if infact there is one.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:11 AM
stir11
New User
superchips

Just went to the garage and found my superchips tuner-- for your truck if it is ((superchipped Trade marked)) what was used was a MAX Micro Tuner #1715 which was used for ford trucks with a v8(modular engine) up to model year 2003. This is the tuner that was sold from Superchips Inc. And if you don't have the hand held tuner device and you want the original ford program you must get the dealer to reinstall the original ford program. Or find the max tuner that was used to install the performance software (on your truck) as it has in its memory your original truck program and is married to your vehicle -- it will not program any other ford but yours!!
Hope this helps?

Old 01-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fordf150farmer
well if this is the case with my girlfriends, then houston we have a problem. because there is no hand held device with the truck. that said, it is supposed to be an actual chip, not a programer. the only thing i cant figure out at this point is where to find it. i have never had to look for the trucks computer and i am clueless as to where to start looking. i would assume that once i find it, i should find the chip, if infact there is one.
Passenger side footwell, behind the glove compartment,right next to the firewall.
To get a good general idea of where it's at-the electrical connector is underhood between the battery and the firewall.

JL