Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Senior User

98SurplusExpy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Worn Leather Steering Wheel Cover ...

The "black color" on the leather steering wheel has worn away on my 2006 Lariat; the leather is still smooth on most of the worn spots and only "rough" at the most heavily worn spot at the 12 o'clock position. The truck spent the majority of it's life in the Texas sun .. you can see the damage in this picture:

Click the image to open in full size.

A new steering wheel (P/N 5C7Z-3600-CBA) runs $336.45 form the best online Ford Parts Dealer that I can find.

I did find a place in Dallas, TX that does an exceptional job at recovering steering wheels ... "Dallas Custom Steering Wheel" ... but these guys want $250 +shipping to do the job.

So I think I'm gonna try to re-dye it myself. I've located two vendors with "kits":

Leather Magic; Leather Recoloring Kit ... $49.95

Leatherique; Steering Wheel Kit ... $25.00

Has anyone tried this or have a familiarity with these brands?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
That's another reason I've always avoided the Lariat. I don't like leather seats or steering wheels.

I don't know how long the dye would last. Another option, especially with your dash, would be to upgrade the wheel. Here's a link to what my wife did to her truck. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/78...ml#post6855987

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 01-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Posting Guru

2002 F350V10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here is a better solution. Hands down the best replacement is the combo wood and leather wheels sold on ebay where they redo an oem wheel. You send yours back after the swap. My 02 F350 had a cheapo wheel with a small diameter and a cheapo feel. I bit the bullet and swapped it for what I described. Huge difference. Then I did the same swap on a work 99 ex. fantastic. Then I was at the pick a part yard and got a leather wheel for an 01 F250. The worst feeling and looking wheel was that one. Going to swap it again for what I described. Easy swap accomplished in 1/2 hour or so.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Senior User

msalyer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.msalyer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Black liquid shoe polish works wonders. I bought an old Corvette once that the wheel looked WAY worse than yours. I figured I had nothing to loose so I used sandpaper on the real rough spots (gently) and a couple coats of the polish. Turned out quite good. It faded a bit in a year or so and another coat fixed it up again. saved a lot of $$$$$.
2012 Oxford White F150 Screw HD XLT 6.5 4x4 5.0 3:73 LS
2008 Bright Red / Parchment Mustang Convertible 4.0 Auto
Old 02-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Senior User

As a follow-up ... I ended up sending the wheel to get recovered.

The leather pro's I contacted said the cover was too far gone to re-dye ... mostly 'cause it was worn to the point that it was "suede" in places.

Don Le @ Dallas Custom Steering Wheel did the recovering .. it was pricey, but I can say that it looks equal to, if not better, than factory. The shop has my recommendation

Old 02-05-2010, 01:25 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Looks real good. How long did they have your steering wheel?

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 02-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redford View Post
Looks real good. How long did they have your steering wheel?
Two days to do the work ... the rest was shipping time (NC / TX). I sent it out on 1/25 and got it back on 2/4.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Junior User

labrown is starting off with a positive reputation.
How is the steering wheel removed? How is the Horn/Airbag removed? I am having a problem with my horn. It goes off on it's own. Had to pull the fuse on the side of the road last month. I'd like to look at it but don't know how it is removed.

Thanks in advance.....
Old 02-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by labrown View Post
How is the steering wheel removed? How is the Horn/Airbag removed? I am having a problem with my horn. It goes off on it's own. Had to pull the fuse on the side of the road last month. I'd like to look at it but don't know how it is removed.

Thanks in advance.....

To remove the Airbag ...

- Disconnect battery (both batteries if Diesel).
- Turn on Light Switch for about a minute or so; also press brake pedal. This will purge any remaining energy in the system.
- Pry off the two little covers on the back side of the steering wheel.
- Using a 8mm socket (1/4" Drive) w/ 4" extension, remove the two bolts that were behind the covers (will have to look in the holes to see bolts).
- Carefully pull Airbag away from wheel & disconnect the two electrical connectors
- Hope that the Airbag does not blow in your face

- To install, reverse procedure ... tighten bolts to 9 lb-ft or 108 in-lb

To remove Steering Wheel ...

- Use a T-50 Star socket and remove the center bolt holding the steering wheel to the column. Workshop manual instucts to discard the bolt & replace with new.
- Use a gear puller (do not bang with hammer) to remove the steerig wheel from the column stem.
- Disconnect one electical connector & remove wheel

- To install, reverse procedure using new bolt. Tighten to 28 lb-ft. (note ... column stem splines will only allow steering wheel to go on one way.)
Old 02-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Postmaster

Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.
wouldnt removing the power from the system, make it so the airbag has no way to trigger ??

i'm thinking of having my wheel swapped out at some point, cuz my wheel is very much like your original, but i wanna hold out for one of those Ebay wheels, with the sectional carbon weave treatments.

since my interior has the factory carbon look inserts having the wheel to match would be a nice upgrade, and i like the look to boot.

"list of previous owned Fords much to long to list here.."
Old 02-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Senior User

FX4 5.4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
by any chance do you wash your hands with gojo or fast orange? these types of products eat away at a leather steering wheel. My dad is a mechanic and washes his hands frequently with gojo and ruined the leather steering wheel in his dodge in about 2 years
Old 02-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 5.4 View Post
by any chance do you wash your hands with gojo or fast orange? these types of products eat away at a leather steering wheel. My dad is a mechanic and washes his hands frequently with gojo and ruined the leather steering wheel in his dodge in about 2 years
Nah ... the wheel on my truck got a taste of the Texas / Mexico sun.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Postmaster

Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.
mine was worn when i bought the truck, but it must have seen alot of hiway miles in a row, cuz it has alot of mile for a newer truck.

200K miles in 5 years, when i got it. seems like it must have been used as a RV hauler alot. esp given the fact it had a 5th wheel/trailer combo together when purchased from teh owner. i didnt buy the 5th wheel thou.

"list of previous owned Fords much to long to list here.."
Old 02-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life View Post
wouldnt removing the power from the system, make it so the airbag has no way to trigger ??
That's for the "how to remove the airbag" description ... you'll wanna depower the Airbag before removing. Of course, it should be reconnected once reassembled to the wheel and before the batteries are reconnected.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:34 AM
Post Fiend

Nice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 F350V10 View Post
Here is a better solution. Hands down the best replacement is the combo wood and leather wheels sold on ebay where they redo an oem wheel. You send yours back after the swap. My 02 F350 had a cheapo wheel with a small diameter and a cheapo feel. I bit the bullet and swapped it for what I described. Huge difference. Then I did the same swap on a work 99 ex. fantastic. Then I was at the pick a part yard and got a leather wheel for an 01 F250. The worst feeling and looking wheel was that one. Going to swap it again for what I described. Easy swap accomplished in 1/2 hour or so.

Do you have a link for the site?
"Whatever You Are Be a Good One". Abe Lincoln
The more you explain it, the more I don't understand it.' - Mark Twain
Old 02-07-2010, 05:34 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2005, cover, duty, ford, leather, picture, ranger, recovering, red, steering, super, superduty, torreador, truck, wheel, wheels, xlt