1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Header Question for 56 F100 w/ Volare Clip

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Reginald56
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Header Question for 56 F100 w/ Volare Clip

I was told to move my post to this are so here it is any help would be great.

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1 itxtvisited="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_start --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_start --><!-- In 1st Post Ad --><TABLE width="100%" border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD vAlign=top width="100%" itxtvisited="1">Just want to start by saying this forum is awesome and have been lurking for some time and enjoying the reading. Thanks for all the contribution.

I have a 1956 <NOBR id=itxt_nobr_2_0 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 100%; COLOR: darkgreen">Ford</NOBR> F100 Big Window with a Volare front clip installed. I am putting a 429 big block with tunnel ram and a scoop using C6 Trans. It looks like other have done the 429/460 motor with this frontend and not had to do firewall mods. This would be great.

My questions are:

1) What type of headers have others used on this build? (brand, short or long, part #'s would be great)

2) How much did you displace the <NOBR id=itxt_nobr_4_0 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 100%; COLOR: darkgreen">engine</NOBR> off center to make it happen?

3) Any definate problems you ran into that I will need to look for?

4) Photos of engine mounts to frame would also be helpful.

You guys are the best.
Thanks, </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 01-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Sanderson.

Sanderson Headers

headers # 2 (520 x 390) small.jpg headers (520 x 390) small.jpg

Attached Images   
Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 713 Likes on 257 Posts
Reg,

your question is the very reason I switched from Volare to MII. I had the Volare front clip and a 460 offset 2" To the passenger side... no firewall mods.

Tried three different combos of Sandersons and had interference on all three. on the left side with the steering linkage and on the right side with the upper control arm... I finally abandoned the Volare and the Sandersons fit nicely on the 460 with the MII front crossmember...

somewhere I had some pics... but they have plum eluded me tonite... measure your distances from right exhaust port face to the upper edge of the control arm... and look at your linkage route carefully on the left side... Sam Detweiler has some similar problems and got custom (read $$$$$$) pipes made..

here's a link to the article I did on the Volare install that shows some engine mounts.... fabbed from scratch... no kit

http://www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon...ip/volare.html
hope it helps
John

Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Reginald56
New User
Originally Posted by Old F1
Sanderson.

Sanderson Headers

headers # 2 (520 x 390) small.jpg headers (520 x 390) small.jpg
Thanks for the photos. Wow thats a tight fit.

Have you had any trouble at all with your set up?

Do you remember how many inches offset it came out to be?

Anyone else successfully do this?

Thanks again.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Reginald56
New User
Originally Posted by jniolon
Reg,

your question is the very reason I switched from Volare to MII. I had the Volare front clip and a 460 offset 2" To the passenger side... no firewall mods.

Tried three different combos of Sandersons and had interference on all three. on the left side with the steering linkage and on the right side with the upper control arm... I finally abandoned the Volare and the Sandersons fit nicely on the 460 with the MII front crossmember...

somewhere I had some pics... but they have plum eluded me tonite... measure your distances from right exhaust port face to the upper edge of the control arm... and look at your linkage route carefully on the left side... Sam Detweiler has some similar problems and got custom (read $$$$$$) pipes made..

here's a link to the article I did on the Volare install that shows some engine mounts.... fabbed from scratch... no kit

http://www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon...ip/volare.html
hope it helps
John
Thanks for the Engine mount link. I have seen plenty of 54-55 trucks that list the 460/c6 with Volare but non say what headers or show pictures of this part of the truck.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
As John mentioned, I ended up creating my own headers to get around this problem.. didn't save any money, but got what I wanted.. about $500

pics pre-coating

my engine mount is similar to Johns Volare mount.. the mount JUST touches the steering box.

Sam

Attached Images    
Old 01-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Sorry, I should have said so, that’s not mine; it is someone from this site that I kept the picture of. If the owner had a MII they would not have the steering box interference as John mentioned.

These weird ones just came up on eBay, $ 200.00 new:

Superformance Cobra Ford 429/460 Big Block Headers - 2? on eBay.ca (item 370316962911 end time 13-Jan-10 20:58:35 EST)

460 headers other.jpg

Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2010, 09:44 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Sorry, I should have said so, that’s not mine; it is someone from this site that I kept the picture of. If the owner had a MII they would not have the steering box interference as John mentioned.

These weird ones just came up on eBay, $ 200.00 new:

Superformance Cobra Ford 429/460 Big Block Headers - 2? on eBay.ca (item 370316962911 end time 13-Jan-10 20:58:35 EST)

460 headers other.jpg
those won't work with volare and certainly not for MII.. the cross member is in the way..

Sam

Old 01-07-2010, 02:17 AM
Reginald56
New User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
As John mentioned, I ended up creating my own headers to get around this problem.. didn't save any money, but got what I wanted.. about $500

pics pre-coating

my engine mount is similar to Johns Volare mount.. the mount JUST touches the steering box.

Sam
Sam,

Well having to get custom headers is not what I really wanted to hear however your experience has saved me a ton of trial and error so for that I am greatful.

Can you tell me how much the engine had to be off center to make the custom headers work out correctly?

I see that the headers at the top seemed to have worked out at least in the photo. What did you run into that prevent you from taking a simular route?

You guys are the best and I am so grateful.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:18 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Reginald56
Sam,

Well having to get custom headers is not what I really wanted to hear however your experience has saved me a ton of trial and error so for that I am greatful.

Can you tell me how much the engine had to be off center to make the custom headers work out correctly?

I see that the headers at the top seemed to have worked out at least in the photo. What did you run into that prevent you from taking a simular route?

You guys are the best and I am so grateful.

I specifically wanted long tube headers, so the shorties in the 1st post wouldn't have made me happy. nor the Sandersons.(what everyone else ends up using).

I don't know on the engine offset.. I made up the drivers side mount top tube and outside stand piece, put it on the engine, and then set the engine in where that would work. I had to get a mid sump oil pan from a Ford Van to get the clearance from the volare cross member and the steering linkage.

I set a 2x4 on the cross member, and set the engine oil pan down on that where things fit. balanced the engine left/right, and tilted front back so the carb plate was level at planned ride height on the suspension.. and tack welded the brackets in.

I did this without having the cab or rad installed, and really had no room in front of the engine for standard radiator mount.. I could have moved back another 2-3 inches, but would have needed to raise the engine up, already tight at the tranny tunnel, or switched to a rear sump oil pan (which I tried and couldn't find a place where it worked)..

then I built the headers to fit THAT spot.. I did run into one unexpected problem, access to the two bolts on the drivers side upper A arm for alignment purposes.. we have to use a box end wrench and a cheater pipe to get enough leverage to get to required torque specs, as the header pipe goes OVER the arm, blocking access with a socket.

so, its all a tight fit, with conflicting choices..

Sam

Old 01-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Reginald56
New User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I specifically wanted long tube headers, so the shorties in the 1st post wouldn't have made me happy. nor the Sandersons.(what everyone else ends up using).

I don't know on the engine offset.. I made up the drivers side mount top tube and outside stand piece, put it on the engine, and then set the engine in where that would work. I had to get a mid sump oil pan from a Ford Van to get the clearance from the volare cross member and the steering linkage.

I set a 2x4 on the cross member, and set the engine oil pan down on that where things fit. balanced the engine left/right, and tilted front back so the carb plate was level at planned ride height on the suspension.. and tack welded the brackets in.

I did this without having the cab or rad installed, and really had no room in front of the engine for standard radiator mount.. I could have moved back another 2-3 inches, but would have needed to raise the engine up, already tight at the tranny tunnel, or switched to a rear sump oil pan (which I tried and couldn't find a place where it worked)..

then I built the headers to fit THAT spot.. I did run into one unexpected problem, access to the two bolts on the drivers side upper A arm for alignment purposes.. we have to use a box end wrench and a cheater pipe to get enough leverage to get to required torque specs, as the header pipe goes OVER the arm, blocking access with a socket.

so, its all a tight fit, with conflicting choices..

Sam
Man, I already bought the Ford Racing Rear Sump pan so that I could get the motor lower and back more.

Why does everyone that does not do custom headers use the Sanderson FF442 instead of the FF443?

They look like a better solution. What am I missing?

Old 01-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

The Sanderson site is difficult to navigate, I come up with different numbers?

FF461 - Ford 427/460 & Cobra
Designed for 429-460 Ford big block in 1954 and up F100 and other vehicles where a rear collector is required. Includes all hardware necessary for installation.

FF462 - Ford 427/460 By popular demand - we've modified the FF461 to ease installation of 429-460's in late '48 - '53 F1 pickups. Headers look similar to the FF461, but have slightly different bends to provide steering clearance.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Reginald56
New User
The Sanderson site is difficult to navigate, I come up with different numbers?
Here is the link to all the 429/460 options they have.
Sanderson Headers

Old 01-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

These them?

Price Product Name+
$325.00 FF460 - 427/429/460
$325.00 FF461 - Ford 427/460 & Cobra
$325.00 FF462 - Ford 427/460
$295.00 FF463 - Ford Big Block

Displaying 1 to 4 (of 4 products) Result Pages: 1

Old 01-07-2010, 11:30 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Reginald56
Man, I already bought the Ford Racing Rear Sump pan so that I could get the motor lower and back more.

Why does everyone that does not do custom headers use the Sanderson FF442 instead of the FF443?

They look like a better solution. What am I missing?
there are four obstructions to work around
1. the steering box
2. the steering linkage
3. the steering linkage shaft from the column
4. the chassis

I don't know what the sandersons look like on, but I've seen lots of folks futzin with trying to get the steering connected.. (why my headers are split to have the column rod go thru the middle.)

I had mine coated (in and out) via HPC
Sam

Quick Reply: Header Question for 56 F100 w/ Volare Clip