Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Injector problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Rick Wallace
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector problems

I finally got a break in the weather to install my new injectors but wouldnt you know they all went perfect except the last one,when I took it out,only the top came out,lots of carbon buildup in there,I fished out the inards of it just leaving the bottom casing.I sprayed some PB blaster in there and it wont budge,anyone had this happen?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:27 PM
S.P.
Senior User
Rick find a thread I started back a year or two ago, I ended up having to pull my motor To have the heads hot tanked.
good luck I hope yours turns out easier than mine did.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Rick Wallace
Posting Guru
Lord have mercy on a poor man,I sure hope I dont have to do that,Ill look it up.Thanks

Old 01-06-2010, 11:47 PM
j tate
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rick Wallace
Lord have mercy on a poor man,I sure hope I dont have to do that,Ill look it up.Thanks
rick since your replacing the injectors anyway, take the top portion of the injector that you unscrewed, grind the top threads that screw into the head off. do not mess with the botom threads. now screw the top portion back onto the botom section and you should be able to break the carbon loose. dont forget to soak the snot out of it before you screw the two halve back together. if ive left something out im sure someone will be along to correct me. hope this helps.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Rick Wallace
Posting Guru
You is a smart feller! why didnt I think of that?{dont answer that} I soaked it with PB blaster just before I quit for the day.Thank you S.P. I couldnt find your thread

Old 01-07-2010, 12:06 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is where if a guy had a junk inj line and built a puller it would be handy.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Rick Wallace
Posting Guru
Good idea,Im goin to bed before my head blows up thinking about all this! Ill let yall know how it goes tommorow

Old 01-07-2010, 02:22 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by j tate
rick since your replacing the injectors anyway, take the top portion of the injector that you unscrewed, grind the top threads that screw into the head off. do not mess with the botom threads. now screw the top portion back onto the botom section and you should be able to break the carbon loose. dont forget to soak the snot out of it before you screw the two halve back together. if ive left something out im sure someone will be along to correct me. hope this helps.
Originally Posted by starmilt
This is where if a guy had a junk inj line and built a puller it would be handy.
man,you guys come up with great idea's and tips.you can tell you have some experience gained over the years.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:11 AM
j tate
Senior User
also if theres that much carbon build up in the injector hole when you break the carbon up in the atemp to take the injector out carbon is gonna want to fall into the precup in the head. what you can do is take the gp out of that same cylender and supply a constant air supply to the gp hole as a attemp to blow the carbon out of the injector hole. just make sure after you have removed the injector that you retrieve the old brass washer and clean the injector seat where the brass washer seals very well or the new brass washer will not seal and youll be doing this again in the near future. i use an air supply in the gp hole the whole time im cleaning the seat and please wear SAFETY GOGGLES.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Rick Wallace
Posting Guru
Im so ticked off I had to walk away for today,the rain is coming anyway,Jtate,you had a fine idea but me,Mr mechanic,had already buggered up the threads so that didnt work,I got me a big easyout and managed to break off another peice of the casing. Im about to try and drill it out,if I break it oh well,how much is it to rebuild heads?I may need to know this.Im sure the divorce will follow................:

Old 01-07-2010, 03:53 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Never done this but what would happen if you soaked it with pb pretty good and let it soak, then heated it just a little with a propane torch and crank the motor over. would the compresion shoot it out. If I tried this I would block its path with a block of wood.
This would be a last resort but I would try it before I pulled a head, then again I'm lazy.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:55 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
oh man starmilt, that sounds scary.not worried about damage to the piston?

Old 01-07-2010, 04:02 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Why would it damage the piston.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Rick Wallace
Posting Guru
I was thinking of getting a drill bit the same size as the lower injector casing,I think there is a little bit of clearance in there,I just need to make sure I dont go to deep,If I drill into the copper washer maybe I wont go to far.Then again the back two cylinders didnt have the washers in there.The injectors I took out all said Stanydine 1992,It looks like they have been there a while.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:15 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
The washers should have been in there or the injector wouldn't have sealed. Could they have come out with the injector and then fell off or could they have been carbonned up in there and stuck.

Quick Reply: Injector problems