1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What to do with my Flatty

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:42 PM
davidm199
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do with my Flatty

Alright i am trying to get some think done, while i am watching my Hawkeyes kick some butt in the Orange Bowl.

I am not sure what to do with my 53 flatty v8. As far as i know it have 33,000 original miles. we have owned it since 92, but it has sat for longer than that in south dakota. He has a guy do a little work on it have he got it running in the 90s.

My question is how far should i take this thing apart. As of right now I am not doing any major upgrades just stock( upgrades will come once i can actually enjoy driving the truck for a while)

Old 01-05-2010, 08:53 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Change the oil, change the antifreeze-maybe a good flush too. and Just drive it. If it needs anything it will tell you after you start driving it

maybe new spark plugs, wires, rotor, and points etc couldn't hurt either?

Josh

Old 01-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Why take it apart at all. Pull the plugs and clean them off, charge the battery, drain the gas tank and put some new gas in it, change the oil and radiator coolant and try and fire it up. If it's not stuck, chances are with a minimum amount of work it will start right up - you might need a touch of starter fluid for the first few tries.

There are many stories of flatties sitting for long periods of time that with a "dust off" ran like tops!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:11 PM
davidm199
Junior User
will it is sitting on a pallet on rack in our warehouse(have been there for 7years) i am doing a frame off rebuild. I also am going to clean it up and paint it.

ALso i did find a mouse nest in the bell housing so that is one reason i wanted to take a look inside and put me gaskets in it

Old 01-05-2010, 09:15 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
That's right Julie, I had a local farmer give me an old 51 F-3 that was owned by a deceased friend of his dad and it had been sitting in the same spot on the farm for over 16 years. I gave him $20 for helping me load it.
got it home and changed the oil. thing runs great and has between 122-130 PSI on all cylinders... I would just drive it. Once apart one thing leads to another- before you know it you'll have a couple grand sunk into it, and thats just basic stock rebuild. let us know how it turns out.

Edit: I see, at least pull the intake manifold and inspect valves, guides etc. make sure there is no mice nest's in there too. Clean it up and make a quick test stand to run it on and make sure all is well prior to reinstallation.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:07 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Squirt a little ATF into the cylinders .

Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jmadsen
Change the oil, change the antifreeze-maybe a good flush too. and Just drive it. If it needs anything it will tell you after you start driving it

maybe new spark plugs, wires, rotor, and points etc couldn't hurt either?

Josh
Amen.........

Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Give it to me and all your worries will go away.

Actually, like the others said.
These engines are pretty forgiving.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:58 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
It's a false economy to skip a teardown on a 57-yr-old engine. First off, do you have real records that it has 33k miles? Unless it was a farm truck that never left the farm, I'd really be surprised. If it was, those could be some mighty hard 33k miles. All the gaskets are suspect, the block is likely rusty inside (antifreeze is only good for 5 yrs, whether it runs or not, in terms of corrosion protection).

For the cost of a gasket set, you can take off the heads and intake, and see how much sludge there is, and remove all the carbon. See if the block has cracks. Pull a the main bearing caps and the rods, mike them, look at the journals... check the oil pump, clean out the oil pan... thoroughly clean out the cooling passages and check out the water pumps....

I did this and more, took out all the pistons and valves, cleaned it all up. I know what is good and what it will need in another 20k miles. Total cost was $100 for a gasket set and 3 cans of Ford Blue engine enamel.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:22 PM
davidm199
Junior User
I not not 100% sure about it only have 33,000 miles, but it was a SD farm truck that my dad's uncle only drove around the farm and into town He got old and it sat then when he died my dad got it. their was one other owner before him tho

Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pull the manifolds off, intake and exhaust, check for critters. if all is good, put some marvel mystery oil in fuel-oil-and every cylinder, then, tune er up and run it! if there are critters---pull the oil pan!!! be surprised what can get in there.