Notices

Superduty Projector lights with HID upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:36 PM
bgalaxy67
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superduty Projector lights with HID upgrade

Ok guys, I had a chance to upgrade my lights to projectors awhile back and this weekend decided to upgrade to a true HID light.

The lights I used are 3 kits from FutureVision HID - The Future of Performance Lighting Systems

These guys rock with their product ans customer service

Here we are with the lights loose. Don't mind all the extra wiring. Those are the strobes in the housing as well.

Once you open the covers you will notice the clips holding in the H-1 bulbs

For this casing, we are going to remove the plug and rubber grommet

Going with a direct wire for this one. The sockets suck on these trucks and will rot out after time.

After you solder and shrink wrap the wires. Ya can go ahead and tuck them back into the loom.

You will need to pull the clips on the high beam side. It's going to require a little trimming to get the bulbs to fit.

Hit it with a file on the tabs and it will slip right in.

Take the rubber boot and make a slice in it for the new wires.

Run the wires through and clip in the bulb.

Repeat the same for the highs.

I went ahead and used the supplied double sided tape to stack both ballasts together. Then wire tied the leads together.

Once you plug in all the connections, your set to go. before you remount the lense, make sure they are working and are turning on the right bulb.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Skeeter363
Freshman User
WOW! That is some serious light.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:08 PM
sbrennan007
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice write up. I love reading through detailed installs such as yours.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:50 AM
grkguy
Freshman User
so how many people flash there lights at you cause they think your high beams are on, i get that all the time, i just have hid's tho not the projectors, i heard you had to buy glass ones or the plastic will melt on them, any truth to that

Old 01-18-2010, 10:01 AM
bgalaxy67
Elder User
Originally Posted by grkguy
so how many people flash there lights at you cause they think your high beams are on, i get that all the time, i just have hid's tho not the projectors, i heard you had to buy glass ones or the plastic will melt on them, any truth to that

No more then usual flash their lights. I got it with the stock bulbs too.. Hell, I get it with our bone stock KR too. Oh well.

The HID's actually run cooler then a stock bulb. Not my much but a little, so no issues with heat.

I am however looking at adding a relay system into the lights. There is a little bit of a voltage drop in the circuit. I have the same issue with my non HID truck. The 18g wire Ford uses isn't the best

Old 01-18-2010, 10:03 AM
F-117HWK
Freshman User
Any pics of the headlights installed without the lights on by any chance? Great writeup btw.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:42 PM
bgalaxy67
Elder User
Here is a couple

Old 03-16-2010, 08:44 PM
bgalaxy67
Elder User
Not sure if ya throwin out a link or trying to hustle a product but thanks for the link either way

The reason I spliced in rather then use the plugs is because the ford plugs can crap out over time. I have had and seen many that get corroded and fail. The way I decided to do it eliminates that.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:54 AM
n4aof
Senior User
so how many people flash there lights at you cause they think your high beams are on, i get that all the time, i just have hid's tho not the projectors,
THAT'S WHY!

Stuffing a HID bulb in a reflector-based headlight sends the light pattern all over the place. You've got lots of light going up where it blinds oncoming drivers instead of on the road where it would do you any good.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:10 PM
reeceparrish77
New User
Originally Posted by n4aof
THAT'S WHY!

Stuffing a HID bulb in a reflector-based headlight sends the light pattern all over the place. You've got lots of light going up where it blinds oncoming drivers instead of on the road where it would do you any good.
I took 06' F350 Stock lights and put them on my 02 F350, Then instead of buying the wiring harness i just went with hid's and have the same proplem as the guy in the first quote... do you know anyway to fix this?

Old 06-26-2010, 01:31 PM
bgalaxy67
Elder User
The main issue with having HIDs in some housings is the lights are a brighter light, so it would be like driving with your hi-beams on. This effect worsens when you do have your hi-beams on.

What I have seen some people do is, reposition the lights a little lower then you would stock. This helps lower the cutoff line with the lights.

Also, keep in mind that the whiter you go in Kelvin, the more it is perceived by others that your lights are brighter. Also, the whiter you go, the less light it will cast in front of you.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:49 PM
reeceparrish77
New User
Anyone know how to lower the cut off line?... Is there something u can put on the bulbs or something?

Old 06-27-2010, 02:08 AM
JWT1
New User
I have the same headlights except in black. what watt and kelvin r yours thinking about doing the same thing to mine

Old 06-27-2010, 12:22 PM
bgalaxy67
Elder User
Originally Posted by reeceparrish77
Anyone know how to lower the cut off line?... Is there something u can put on the bulbs or something?
It's all in the adjustments to the lenses. When you pull up to something like your garage door at night, you will see How the lights project. Try adjusting them down a little. Not only will this help from oncoming traffic flashing you, but it will also project more light closer in front of you where it is needed the most.

Originally Posted by JWT1
I have the same headlights except in black. what watt and kelvin r yours thinking about doing the same thing to mine
I used the 35w 8k kits.

FutureVision HID - The Future of Performance Lighting Systems

Old 06-28-2010, 03:13 AM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by n4aof
THAT'S WHY!

I actually have HIDs in a stock reflector, and NEVER get flashed.

... I also run 4300K, and have my lights adjusted correctly. Something I see all too many NOT doing post install. I can't stand ignorance to light adjustment when a nose-high lifted vehicle is blinding everyone, let alone when they are using HID (whether in projectors OR stock reflectors)!

Originally Posted by bgalaxy67
The main issue with having HIDs in some housings is the lights are a brighter light, so it would be like driving with your hi-beams on. This effect worsens when you do have your hi-beams on.
Also, keep in mind that the whiter you go in Kelvin, the more it is perceived by others that your lights are brighter. Also, the whiter you go, the less light it will cast in front of you.
Incorrect. Because not all HID bulbs are created equal.

And incorrect. 4300K is the brightest HID output, and closer to a yellow or even Halogen headlight color. 6000K is labeled by many as "pure white", but to me it starts to look blue (in comparison to Halogen). 8000K, and your just shooting yourself in the foot (less light output) to look cool. 10,000K and it'll be almost a purple hue, and is even worse output.

Sorry, don't mean to be "negative nancy"....

GREAT Write up on your install of the projectors. Well detailed.

Quick Reply: Superduty Projector lights with HID upgrade