1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

bed tubb?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:28 PM
49fordf1
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
bed tubb?

[IMG][/IMG]thinking about tubbing the bed sides,,, look how much room i have between the fram rails and the tires... alot of wasted space seeing as there are no leaf springs in the way anymore... thoughts? i liked the trailer fender cut in half i saw someone else do... nows the time to do something if im gonna... anyone else done this recently? r
[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Rokcrln
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are 2 I did starting with a trailer fender for my 72 Tahoe then I made the filler.

2 More I made from scratch to cover about 1 1/4" of tire on a 41 chevy when laid out with IRS.

Then just one of my son's project for fun.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Attached Images    
Old 01-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Rokcrln
Senior User
The other 2 pics.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Attached Images   
Old 01-04-2010, 10:55 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
and some square tubs.. just for comparison

Sam

came from Suicide Doors.

Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2010, 11:12 PM
keith56_cruz_cab
Elder User
very nice tubs

Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Trailer fenders are probably the easiest and cheapest if you don't have the tools to make them......just depends on what you want.........t/m

Old 01-05-2010, 04:57 PM
49fordf1
Mountain Pass
thanks for the ideas... ive got alot of room..but dont wanna go overboard.... maybe have a set of rims custom made to overhang the drums ect? whats that called inset?? i had originally cut this quickchange down and mounted on the leaf springs... so i had kept it wider..wish i knew then i was gonna do the 4 link...i would have narrowed it even more....

Old 01-05-2010, 08:59 PM
keisha9
Tuned
49 u already narrowed the rear? if u get wider rims u will need a big backspace wheel . how much are you trying to accomplish? and where can a fellow locate a set of trailer fenders?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:07 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by keisha9
49 u already narrowed the rear? if u get wider rims u will need a big backspace wheel . how much are you trying to accomplish? and where can a fellow locate a set of trailer fenders?
trailer fenders at Tractor Supply

Sam

Old 01-06-2010, 08:49 AM
49fordf1
Mountain Pass
hi,
yes i cut it down years ago and welded in ford 9inch tube ends so i could run ford axles...brakes ect... then had the axles cut and resplined..again kinda blew it cause i should have shortened it much more....but at the time was running the leaf springs ect....
im gonna try to do some mock up measurements and decide on some tire widths ect...again i dont wanna go overboard... i dont have the motor to turn anything huge..and i dont want it to look rediculas... but might as well take advantage of the space i have right? even as it is the tires/rims its rolling around the shop on now will hit the bed sides during suspension travel...plus ide like get the tires tucked up w/in the rear fenders as well... not sticking out as they are now...
i had some rims welded up for this before... but they ended up on another truck thats now gone...

Old 01-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Rokcrln
Senior User
From the first pic it looks like your rim has enough off set that it could be re-done and set further in so you can tuck the tires. Personally I would not go with a wider tire but I would set it up so it tucks the fender and has about 1" of space to the new inner tubs. I think a small wheel tub looks better than a big one just because you have the room. On both the ones I posted their is less then 1/2" of clearance when the vehicles are aired down. So they are for function with a bit of looks to boot. I like your quick change and with a new offset rim that just tucks the fenders I think is the way to go with out having to spend more money to change the rear end again. When you decide what you want to do I can build you a custom set of tubs with your own bead design, just get a hold of me.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:15 AM
49fordf1
Mountain Pass
Kevin,
thanks for the feedback... i agree w/ what ur saying..the tire size right now isnt bad, i just need to get it placed correctly..w/ just enough tub.. especially because im not doing any other body mods...
VERY impressed w/ the link to ur build...nice work.. lookes like we did something similar w/ our columns.. i wanted to keep the original style column as well.... i think? i have pictures of that here somewhere.. i need to get better at posting pics... thanks for ur help.. rob

Old 01-06-2010, 10:15 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Trailer fenders can also be found at Northern Tool. Another source of prefabbed tubs is fenders from a chopper bike supplier. They come in a lot of widths, can be split down the middle or along one side. Some have full sides so the builder can cut out whatever shape support struts he'd like. They use them on American Chopper regularly.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:00 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whati did is jacked up the rear of the truck on both sides equally, placed 2 small pieces of 2x4 on top of the tire, with a marker laying on the blocks i traced out my tub, cut that part out of the box, traced it onto the opposite side, cut myself a strip the width i needed (top of tub), tacked that along the wheel opening, then tacked the piece i took out of the bed along the strip, finished welding and you have a cheap tub!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:12 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
I had a buddy give me some old bed sides from a F250 that I used to cut out the wheelwells. Here's a pic of them installed on my bed. BTW - I used structural adhesive as opposed to welding so that I didn't get a lot of warpage.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bed tubb?