Changing gearing on '99 F-550 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:
Advertisement

Changing gearing on '99 F-550

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-04-2010, 08:25 PM
evo8 evo8 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 20
evo8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Changing gearing on '99 F-550

*UPDATE*
Solution - post #13







Hi guys,

Need your help again. I have a 1999 F-550 dually RWD, right know I have no idea what gearing it has, but at 65-70mph I'm nearing 3300rpm in top gear and my consumption is way off (7-9mpg)

I wanted to see if someone can tell me what gearing I need to put in (off of what truck - maybe f-350?) to get my rpms lower. I have no idea what I'm looking for, don't know any shops around that could help, but I wonder if it's a diff I need to swap out
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-05-2010, 02:01 PM
SuperDutyScaler's Avatar
SuperDutyScaler SuperDutyScaler is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,154
SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
you have a dana 110 rear axle i believe, so you need gears for that axle only. you can check the axle for the tag it should show you on it if not call a dea;ership and give them your vin and they can tell you. 450 and 550 i think come with either 4.10 or 4.88 some onw else will write in if im wrong but even with 4.88 that is crazy rpm are you sure something else isnt wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Furian's Avatar
Furian Furian is offline
You Keep What You Kill
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 4,901
Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.
You can determine what gear you have by going to Post #9 in the link below...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/49...lder_____.html
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2010, 03:36 PM
evo8 evo8 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 20
evo8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for replys. I might exhadurated a bit about the rpms, but they are still very hight - no less than 2700rpms at 60-65mph. I checked my tires, I have dully 225/70/19.5 on that truck. I couldn't find the axle code and vin tag on the door is pretty washed off so I couldn't read axle code.

Where can I get some gearing for my rear end?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Furian's Avatar
Furian Furian is offline
You Keep What You Kill
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 4,901
Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo8 View Post
Thanks for replys. I might exhadurated a bit about the rpms, but they are still very hight - no less than 2700rpms at 60-65mph. I checked my tires, I have dully 225/70/19.5 on that truck. I couldn't find the axle code and vin tag on the door is pretty washed off so I couldn't read axle code.

Where can I get some gearing for my rear end?
Those 225/70R19.5 tires have a diameter of 32.00". You should have a Dana S135 rear axle per the link below (Page # 53). Depending on which transmission you have in your truck, the link below (Pages #59-60) states that the final drive ratio is as follows:

5 Speed Manual - .76
6 Speed Manual - .72
Automatic - .71

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...0/BBFSD00A.PDF

The reason that I am providing this information is so that you can use the "RPM Calculator" to determine which gear you currently have and which gear you need for the desired RPM's. To use the RPM Calculator, you will need the following:

Miles Per Hour - You stated you are driving at 60-65 MPH... you can only enter one value.

Tire Diameter in Inches - 32.00"

Axle Ratio - This is unknown... however, you can back into this value by monitoring the calculated value that displays in the "RPM" field. Standard options here include 4.10, 4.30, 4.56, 4.88, 5.19, or 5.38.

Transmission High Gear Ratio - Depending on your transmission, enter the appropriate value listed above (.76, .72, or .71).

RPM Calculator

Below is a link that states that there are 17 gear options for the Dana S135 axle. However, the site is down for maintenance so check back at a later time. Here is the link:

<CITE>www.thedieselstop.com/.../showflat.php-Cat=&Number=2242398&page=5&<WBR>view=collapsed&sb= 5&o=&fpart=1.htm</CITE>
<CITE></CITE>
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2010, 04:56 PM
evo8 evo8 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 20
evo8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Alright, I called the dealer just now and he told me I have 4.88 gears, and that the rear end is Dana (he couldn't give me more info on it).
Now, how do I figure out if my truck is 5 speed or 6? I mean the shift **** says 5 on it, but there is a lower (kind 6th gear) that goes to the left of 1st gear, so I assume it's 6 spd.

According to RPM calcualtor with my 4.88 gears it says I should be around 2400 rpm, which I might be (but I still think I need to go lower). Where do I get the rear end for my truck with lower gears?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2010, 05:12 PM
LSchicago2's Avatar
LSchicago2 LSchicago2 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,669
LSchicago2 has a great reputation on FTE.LSchicago2 has a great reputation on FTE.LSchicago2 has a great reputation on FTE.LSchicago2 has a great reputation on FTE.LSchicago2 has a great reputation on FTE.
99 F550's came with the Dana 135. 4.88 is the most common, and a manual with 5 speeds plus low is a 6 speed. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Furian's Avatar
Furian Furian is offline
You Keep What You Kill
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 4,901
Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.
So, at 65 MPH your truck "should be" turning 2,400 RPM's with the 6-speed transmission and 4.88 gears. You need to confirm this by actually driving the truck at 65 MPH. If you are at higher RPM's, then it is logical to assume that the previous owner installed a higher gear. If you want to lower the RPM's, then you can install a lower gear. The RPM Calculator will tell you the expected RPM's based on the gear that you enter... see examples below.

4.56 Gear - 2,242 RPM's
4.30 Gear - 2,114 RPM's
4.10 Gear - 2,016 RPM's
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-05-2010, 06:04 PM
evo8 evo8 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 20
evo8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furian View Post
So, at 65 MPH your truck "should be" turning 2,400 RPM's with the 6-speed transmission and 4.88 gears. You need to confirm this by actually driving the truck at 65 MPH. If you are at higher RPM's, then it is logical to assume that the previous owner installed a higher gear. If you want to lower the RPM's, then you can install a lower gear. The RPM Calculator will tell you the expected RPM's based on the gear that you enter... see examples below.

4.56 Gear - 2,242 RPM's
4.30 Gear - 2,114 RPM's
4.10 Gear - 2,016 RPM's

Thanks for your help Lschicago.

Furian, it seems to me that going with 4.10 gears would be the best, where can I buy those gears for Dana 135? I found a shop that works with Semi trucks, maybe they can install them for me. They were suggesting a complete rear end, but that cost upwards of $2K
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Furian's Avatar
Furian Furian is offline
You Keep What You Kill
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 4,901
Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo8 View Post
Thanks for your help Lschicago.

Furian, it seems to me that going with 4.10 gears would be the best, where can I buy those gears for Dana 135? I found a shop that works with Semi trucks, maybe they can install them for me. They were suggesting a complete rear end, but that cost upwards of $2K
Check out the link below. There are Part #'s for the 4.10 gear and the required internal components for this size gear, which were posted by "Robyn."

4.10 Gear - 360KG106-X
Internals - 360KQ102-X

TheDieselStop.Com Forums: Ford F550 Dana 135 Rear NEED 4.10 or 3.91 ratio

You can confirm these part #'s in this link.

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/AXIP-8941.pdf

I can't find a website that sells these parts so you may have to contact Dana/Spicer to find a retailer.

Contact Dana for information on automotive, commercial, and off-highway vehicle products and systems.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-05-2010, 06:37 PM
evo8 evo8 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 20
evo8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furian View Post
Check out the link below. There are Part #'s for the 4.10 gear and the required internal components for this size gear, which were posted by "Robyn."

4.10 Gear - 360KG106-X
Internals - 360KQ102-X

TheDieselStop.Com Forums: Ford F550 Dana 135 Rear NEED 4.10 or 3.91 ratio

You can confirm these part #'s in this link.

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/AXIP-8941.pdf

I can't find a website that sells these parts so you may have to contact Dana/Spicer to find a retailer.

Contact Dana for information on automotive, commercial, and off-highway vehicle products and systems.
Great, thanks for all the help. I see their headquarters are in Toldedo, which is 90 miles away from me. I will call them tomorrow and find a distributor.

Now I have to find someone who can do the swap properly.
So you think I will only need gears and diff. case?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Furian's Avatar
Furian Furian is offline
You Keep What You Kill
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 4,901
Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.Furian has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo8 View Post
Great, thanks for all the help. I see their headquarters are in Toldedo, which is 90 miles away from me. I will call them tomorrow and find a distributor.

Now I have to find someone who can do the swap properly.
So you think I will only need gears and diff. case?
Ask Dana/Spicer when you call them. They should have a technical team who can answer that question for you. With parts and labor, it's still going to be expensive... maybe in the $1,200 to $1,600 range.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-09-2010, 07:45 PM
evo8 evo8 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 20
evo8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Alright, found Dana 135 rear end with 3.73 gears in it.
Paid $1200 for everything (including labor)... Truck has lost some power, but I am running 1600 rpms at 65mph now
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-09-2010, 07:54 PM
spinella's Avatar
spinella spinella is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LONG ISLAND N.Y.
Posts: 3,069
spinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to behold
wow thats a big jump...4:88 to 3:73.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-09-2010, 08:19 PM
evo8 evo8 is offline
New User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 20
evo8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
yea, I just wanted something similar to F-350
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for transmission help GotDiesel? 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 10 07-08-2016 10:40 PM
Need some brake fitting help ManfredVonRichtofen Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 3 06-05-2016 05:26 PM
2011 F350/Issues..Turbo/Smells/Shutter/Death Wobble/Transmission/…with VIDEO!! Big-Sarge 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 45 06-19-2015 01:06 AM
Trans fluid take 2 Bowtie_Schmowtie 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 5 06-14-2009 09:57 PM
OK fellas...enlighten me please... lil smokey FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428) 11 04-17-2007 08:58 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Tags
135, 2004, 410, 550, dana, dulley, f550, ford, gear, gears, pipe, ratio, rear, s135, trucks, v10

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.