1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frozen (literally) cylinder #7. Ford says warranty now void!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:45 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Red_Stallion
Completely stock crew cab base model...except cruise and air conditioning....oh and a block heater.

Yes it was snowing and have definitely seen issues with snow/ice buildup on the intake in the past....however....had the water pulled through the intake would it not affect all cylinders and not just be heavily isolated to #7?
I covered this but ill go back to it. the awnser here is no. It would only effect the cyclinders with open valves. so if the truck was parked leaning to passanger side and #7 intake was open then it would only be that cyclinder.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:30 AM
FoxNotch
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
Based on the 2nd picture, I am going to say this was a head gasket failure. Notice the rust between the coolant passages and the cylinder bore, from 1 o'clock to 6 o'clock?
If it was a HG failure between two cylinders wouldn't the adjacent cylinder have at least some water?

Originally Posted by cheezit
I covered this but ill go back to it. the awnser here is no. It would only effect the cyclinders with open valves. so if the truck was parked leaning to passanger side and #7 intake was open then it would only be that cyclinder.
That would have to be some crazy angle on the truck/valve timing to find only ONE intake valve open with the rest on that bank completely closed. I know what you're saying but I just don't see it happening.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:42 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
and seriously.. does anyone find a logical explanation for this much water in the intake, where the truck has to be at a special angle, and the intake valve on THAT cylinder is open so it can (while melted) run down there and THEN freeze? the intake tube, filter, etc will freeze LONG before the block does.. the intake TUBE would have to be 1/2 full of snow.. the filter should be destroyed (with a hole) to allow that much snow past it. AND the driver would have to have run into some serious snow JUST before turning the engine off..

and I agree, the pics are worrisome..about the only way to get there with ice is to look inside the cylinders with a borescope thru the injector holes, and see the ice, and decide right then to pull the cab and head. where are the pics of the borescope output.. no one had a cell phone that day? come on.. this would have been a shock to anyone to find this situation..

Sam

Old 01-05-2010, 07:45 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Some very weird is going on. Subscribed

Old 01-05-2010, 07:52 AM
rustyolred27
Senior User
they don't call them stealerships for nothing.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The coolant in the picture is not Fords "Gold" coolant but so what, if its mixed properly to handle the temps the truck sees it don't matter. Besides if the coolant was freezing or the coolant was the issue it would have caused problems elsewhere.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:59 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
The coolant in the picture is not Fords "Gold" coolant but so what, if its mixed properly to handle the temps the truck sees it don't matter. Besides if the coolant was freezing or the coolant was the issue it would have caused problems elsewhere.
That's why I said something is weird about all of this. If the truck was indeed never touched except "topped off", that green coolant is the WRONG STUFF for a 6.4

At some point, I wonder if the (a) dealer did something that required a coolant change, maybe even before the truck was bought.

Get an OASIS on this thing. Fast.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
That rust looks like it is where the water was coming in. I almost wonder if it didn't happen when the truck was shut off and went from 200+ degrees F and cooled down to -35 degrees C (-31F).

Old 01-05-2010, 09:17 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
That's why I said something is weird about all of this. If the truck was indeed never touched except "topped off", that green coolant is the WRONG STUFF for a 6.4

At some point, I wonder if the (a) dealer did something that required a coolant change, maybe even before the truck was bought.

Get an OASIS on this thing. Fast.
I figured because of the extreme cold situations the truck sees in the winter the factory coolant might have been drained and a stronger mix of the green stuff added. When your talking constant temps in the negative temps its not uncommon to switch to fluids that handle the cold better.

The 6.4ls had radiator cracking issues, especially in the earlier trucks. The dealer could have swapped the radiator and the coolant before the customer even took delivery. Don't know if an Oasis would show everything that was done even prior to taking delivery.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Red_Stallion
Junior User
Not sure about the coolant being swapped out completely, but this truck is post radiator recall and is a 2009 model year.

The air filter was checked and is in perfect condition. It still looks brand new.

Some Ford higher ups are going to be taking a look at it now so it the waiting game now.

Based on the responses here it would seem to be a fairly cut and dried case of head gasket failure?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Downriver Thunder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribed! Hope the best of luck with this.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Red_Stallion
Not sure about the coolant being swapped out completely, but this truck is post radiator recall and is a 2009 model year.

The air filter was checked and is in perfect condition. It still looks brand new.

Some Ford higher ups are going to be taking a look at it now so it the waiting game now.

Based on the responses here it would seem to be a fairly cut and dried case of head gasket failure?
seems that way to me.. did you happen to notice any white smoke in the exhaust lately, before this last drive? I really can't believe that this is THE first failure (and it froze solid), but weirder things have happened..

no other explanation makes sense.. (and per judge judy, "if it doesn't make sense, it's not true")..
and still don't get why they need to replace complete engine for a little water if it didn't crack the block. and I think 200+ degrees to -31 AND crack the block into the cylinder bore on ONE overnight is unlikely. so, you should be able to see the damage to the head gasket.

Sam

Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Red_Stallion
Junior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
seems that way to me.. did you happen to notice any white smoke in the exhaust lately, before this last drive? I really can't believe that this is THE first failure (and it froze solid), but weirder things have happened..

no other explanation makes sense.. (and per judge judy, "if it doesn't make sense, it's not true")..
and still don't get why they need to replace complete engine for a little water if it didn't crack the block. and I think 200+ degrees to -31 AND crack the block into the cylinder bore on ONE overnight is unlikely. so, you should be able to see the damage to the head gasket.

Sam

No driveability issues or smoke whatsoever. Truck was driven up the province and parked. No reason to believe there was an issue and it had just been in for servicing a week ago.

At those extreme temperatures materials can do funny things and gaskets can harden or contract, metal can become brittle, so it is easy to say that there could have been some crack or weakness that is no longer evident.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:14 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have they even verified the motor needs to be replaced? Is a rod bent? Seems if there isn't any damage from trying to start it then it just needs fresh gaskets, heads checked, and reassembled.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:21 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

right.. if it wouldn't turn over, then not much damage can be added to the freeze damage.. if its not a block, it can't be much..if water only in ONE cylinder, then when it froze and expanded, it would push the crank back a tiny bit (in either direction), but that shouldn't cause damaged.

I dropped a valve in my 460 and the starter couldn't turn the engine due to debris but nothing else was damaged from my trying to turn it over.

So like u, I am confused..
Sam

Quick Reply: Frozen (literally) cylinder #7. Ford says warranty now void!