Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Looking for other C series owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 04:19 AM
Southgate
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rummer, is that an ex railroad truck, state transportation, what?

Mokehill, ya gotta get some pictures! Do you have a hosting site like photobucket? Dan

Old 03-23-2011, 12:58 PM
n1bnc
New User
Good afternoon all. I am glad to see this thread. I had not noted it before. Last Summer I picked up a '85 c-800 5th wheel with 96k and virtually no rust. I am casually looking to see if some one has a 2 person passenger seat available. I have the singles. Is there an air ride option on the seats? I realize the conventional ones won't work, but I thought maybe someone created something for these...

Old 05-16-2011, 12:05 PM
CHRIS23
New User
c-900 air system

Originally Posted by bunchgrass
Hi Mike,

I've got an old 1965 C-850 with a 477 motor (real tired). She's an old farm beater with a dump box- was used to haul grain and then left - fuel tanks full of rust etc. Still can make it run and have hauled gravel etc (although pretty slow and getting gallons per mile in fuel consumption).
Have you heard anything on "easy" engine swaps for these rigs as I've heard parts for rebuild are essentially unavailable?

BTW- I have the shop manuals for these vehicles so let me know if there's something you might need a copy of and I'll see if I can help.

Geoff
You wouldn't happen to have a break down of the air system for a 73 c900 with a 477-auto tandem axle rig??

Old 05-16-2011, 12:08 PM
CHRIS23
New User
c-900 air system

where would I find a air system diagram for 1973 c-900 tandem
truck with a 477 auto trans??

Old 05-16-2011, 12:11 PM
CHRIS23
New User
Originally Posted by CHRIS23
where would I find a air system diagram for 1973 c-900 tandem
truck with a 477 auto trans??
picked up this truck from Kansas City-6 wheel drive but someone had hacked the air system up and diff shift system up

Old 05-25-2011, 04:57 AM
Southgate
Freshman User
Last Wednesday I had it hauled to my home. Mainly to save DMV and insurance problems. It runs fine. Whoever said these are hard to shift wasn't kidding! It has a 5 speed, not a 4 as I previously thought. Giving the linkages a liberal shot of WD-40 helped immensely.

Having a friend haul it was way cheaper than a tow truck.

At home, I have been using it a LOT! I am rearranging my backyard (friends call it man-land). This is a 15 foot long chunk of fence made from rough cut 2x12. I am relocating 100 feet of this by moving it 12 feet to make my enclosed storage area (junk yard) 100x57 feet. This section is 8 feet tall, as is about 1/2 of the front wall. The rest are 6 1/2 or so, plus a couple gates.

I moved this shed with the 700 also.

I need to give the truck a good cleaning up. My brother will be visiting in the next couple weeks, I'll ask him to bring his power washer. Dan

Old 05-27-2011, 02:56 AM
Mike-fire32
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I originally started this thread a couple years ago when I was in the middle of my restoration project. While the project is far from complete, cosmetically it is about 97% done. Here are a couple of pictures taken two weeks ago. This is a 1964 C-1000 with a 534 and an Allison MT-42 automatic. The truck was repainted inside and out to match the way it was when it was delivered in 1964. As time goes by, I will reinstall the plumbing and make it a fully functional fire truck. I have almost all the equipment needed to fill the compartments, including nozzles, smoke ejector, pike poles, laders, hydrant gates, etc. By the way, the lettering is all hand painted, as it was done in 1964.

Attached Images   
Old 05-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Southgate
Freshman User
Man, that's one beautiful fire truck. So clean, it looks like one of those high quality die cast models. Keep the pictures coming. Dan

Old 05-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Mike-fire32
Junior User
Thanks Dan! That is a very nice compliment to say it looks like a die cast model. Here are a couple of pictures that show some of the work required to get it to where it is today. The first shot was taken when I was scraping all the old paint off the cab. The pumper body was sand blasted, but the cab was all done by hand. The second shot was taken before it was transported to Hillsboro for paint. Fortunately I work for a fire truck builder, so I was able to use the company paint booth and one of our painters to lay the paint. The paint is a base coat/clear coat and was not cut and buffed. What you see is how it came out of the booth.

Attached Images   
Old 05-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Pheadrus
Senior User
C1000 help?

Hi Guys
I'm new to the site and was hoping for some input on a C1000 I'm looking at restoring and using for a small business. It's a 534, single axle that appears to have been originally orange. I've tried to find a site for decoding the tags but haven't had any luck. Can anyone help? It's a Super Duty model so I'm assuming 1963 or later. It's a Canadian model built at the Oakville, Ontario plant. Here's the info:
Serial number:
4519611L-230840H.
Series:
FC1000.
W.B.:
Engine: Trans:
SWT5EH/D6852G
Trim: Paint:
36 29
Axle ratio:
6.67/907.1.
Max. G.V.W. LB.

I was possibly going to use it for a small business removing old barns and out buildings. It comes with a home built heavy duty single axle trailer that would fit two vehicles. It's sat for a few years not used. It has air brakes right now but could it be converted to hydraulic brakes? I'd prefer to change to hydraulic brakes instead of having to get my air brake license. Is this even possible or safe? The most it would be carrying is a couple of vehicles or a load of lumber and debris from removing old barns, etc. I know the C-series was built with both brake systems through the years but can you convert from one to the other?
Thanks for any advice or knowledge anyone can offer, Steve.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Pheadrus
Senior User
I forgot to post the info on the other tag:

Trans.
C4TA7004Z
Front Axle:
4F CODE
Rear Axle:
C5TA4005HN

Once again thanks, Steve.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Mike-fire32
Junior User
Steve,

Your chassis is almost identical to mine other than wheel base and I have an Allison MT 42 automatic transmission. Here is a picture of the differential on my truck before detailing. The front of the differential was a primer red color, which might be the same orange looking color on yours. Mine is a Timken with a 7.4:1 ratio. The standard rear axle on C-1000's for 1964 was an Eaton 1911 with a 6.67:1 ratio.

As for changing from air brakes to hydraulic brakes, I would rather take on another complete restoration before I considered that job. You would be ahead finding another truck before taking on such a huge task. Getting your CDL with an air brake endorsement would be a walk in the park compared to changing out the brakes. Besides, the air brakes in good condition are far superior to the juice brakes.

Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2011, 12:23 AM
Southgate
Freshman User
Boy, that's a lot of work behind that pretty face! It sure paid off. I have been fixing a couple little things here and there on my 700, but can't restore it. Keep up the good work.

Hillsboro, huh? (Oregon?) I live in Bend. I get to Portland occasionally. Not beyond the realm of possibility of coming and having you show me your baby, if you wouldn't mind?

Old 05-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Mike-fire32
Junior User
Yes, that would be Hillsboro, Oregon. The truck is back at my shop on the east side of Vancouver. You can call me at work during the during the day at H&W Emergency Vehicles, (503) 848-3276.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:43 AM
Pheadrus
Senior User
Thanks for the info guys. Too bad about the brakes. Every since I saw it languishing in a gravel pit unused and deteriorating, I've wanted to save it. I keep envisioning it as a project car hauler and for that small business. Living in northern Ontario, Canada it's hard to be picky about projects, especially unusual projects such as this. I've being looking for years for a decent C-series truck and only found this one and I also found a rough mid 70's C700 Coca Cola truck but I think it's too far gone to be anything but a parts truck. Maybe I'll look into getting my air brake classification.
I think it was orange originally because you can see orange in the cab. Plus someone stole the center medallion along with the "Super" and "Duty" emblems and you can see the same orange where the emblems use to be. I guess being a new member with the free sign up I can't post pics of it. If anyone here wants to post them for me just shoot me an e-mail address and I'll send them. I'm going to check out an old C-series car hauler maybe tomorrow, maybe I'll get lucky.
Thanks, Steve.

Quick Reply: Looking for other C series owners