Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Looking for other C series owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Southgate
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hats off to all the owners showing their C's. All good looking rigs. Mine wont be so good looking, but it's a real catch anyway. I'm sure you'll agree when I get some decent pictures to post. I'll probably have a few questions too.

I know this much already. It needs a fuel pump, and has had a history of going through them (mechanical), so I'll probably install an electric pump.

And, the master cylinder leaks down when it doesn't get used often. just a couple little things to deal with. More later! Dan

Old 02-04-2011, 11:30 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1960camper
Hello David ,
I have 2 ways to get to the engine. one is in the cab i made an acces to get to the top easily. The other is , truck is detachable from the camper . The tag axle is made on the camper and stays put and you drop the levelers that are mounted to the camper and you drive the truck out from under the camper . this is for major repairs when needed. Thank God it has not needed any major engine repairs. Hopefully this answers your Questions if you have any more ,let me know, always happy to talk to fellow tilt cab enthusiat. God Bless Our Troops and God Bless You.

Thank you. I have to say you were very creative in dealing with the tilt cab. I had not really thought about approaching it that way. Sure seems like a good way to go about it though!

I was driving thru Seattle the other day, and lo and behold there was a C series still earning its keep toting one of those scrap metal bins down the road - wow that is about one that I have seen in the last couple of years! What a blast from the past so to speak.

Take care, David

Old 02-05-2011, 11:03 AM
RetiredLE
Trailering
Originally Posted by Cabover guy
That would be appreciated!! I have a 1974 shop manual, but it does not reference how to fill the master cylinder. I see no bolt or port to fill ..... I've popped the rubber boot at the top where the pushrod goes in and awkwardly managed to pour in a bunch of fluid .... that seems to work, but surely that can't be right? Thanks ... I appreciate any help!
I was told by a knowledgeable mechanic that is exactly how it is done - at least on my 1967 C700 anyways.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:08 PM
ATAERO
New User
C-600 Hydraulic Clutch

I recently inherited a 1960 C-600 farm truck from my Dad. The truck runs and has a good grain body/hydrualic hoist on it. Unfortunately, both cylinders (master/slave) for the hydraulic clutch are shot. Not sure what happened while Dad was driving it, but all the seals are completely shot. I have searched for replacement/rebuild parts, but have so far come up empty handed. Does anyone know where I might get repair/replacement parts, or if there is something I could swap out from a later/different model?

Thanks,

Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Welcome to FTE!

Granger industrial supply has quite a bit of stuff. Next would be a hydralic repair shop or a dump truck repair facility.

Beyong that it might just not be made any longer and you are going to have to convert to something a bit newer as far the hydralics go.

I am dealing with the air release tail gate valve for my own C600 (1970) dump truck, seems that the style that I have went obsolete long ago when they went to the newer "saftey" pull up then move style. As the origional is leaking, i guess I am going to have to break down and convert over.

Good luck in your search!

David

Old 02-09-2011, 08:19 PM
ATAERO
New User
C-600 hydraulic clutch

David, thanks for the welcome and the quick response. This looks like a good forum. I will definately check out Graingers. In the meantime, I received a response back from:

Dorman Products
Asst.Product Manager/Tech Services
215-712-5429 Desk
215-712-5929 Fax
Or Toll Free
1-800-868-5777 ext.5429

They claim to have a part number that crosses to application for this truck. Guess we will see. I have been searching for a year and just so happened across these guys a few days ago. Maybe they can help you and others out too.

Good luck on your tail gate latch. I'll keep you posted on my clutch experience. It is a bit of a problem as I live in VA and the truck is in MO where Dad lived and Mom still does. The good news is as long as Mom is there, I don't have to be in a hurry to get the truck running, the bad news is working on something 1000 miles away is a bit of a timing hassle!!

Thanks again,

Jim

Old 02-10-2011, 03:27 AM
1960camper
New User
Welcome to the Family

Hello Jim , I'm Keith I live in missouri ,where abouts is your truck located? I now of a salvage yard that has 2 c -series trucks I believe they are still there , i haven't been there in a while , but might have parts if you or anybody else needs them. I had some of those clutch master and slave cylinders for a while but I think I got rid of all of them? but can check. Good luck with your truck and God Bless You .

Old 02-10-2011, 06:54 AM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Jim,

Those long distance projecs can be a killer! Thank you for the info,

David

Old 02-19-2011, 02:13 AM
Southgate
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 1960camper
Hello David ,
I have 2 ways to get to the engine. one is in the cab i made an acces to get to the top easily. The other is , truck is detachable from the camper . The tag axle is made on the camper and stays put and you drop the levelers that are mounted to the camper and you drive the truck out from under the camper . this is for major repairs when needed. Thank God it has not needed any major engine repairs. Hopefully this answers your Questions if you have any more ,let me know, always happy to talk to fellow tilt cab enthusiat. God Bless Our Troops and God Bless You.

Could you show us how you did that?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Broncodawg
Junior User
Excellent thread, just got the title to a 78 C600 with a 16' flat bed and a 5er hitch recessed into the rear of the bed. Can't post pics, no url, but subscribing to this thread. Thanks!!
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->

Old 02-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Cmcdow
New User
C-850

I have a 1970 C Cab 850 pumper truck. It has a 534, a Spicer 5 speed, and an Eaton 17121 rear end. I'm in the market to sell it if anyone is interested. It runs really good. 7600 miles. Curtis.McDow@yahoo.com

Old 03-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Southgate
Freshman User
Well, at last, here she is in all 'er glory (or lack of). Today I went and plunked down the cash that I'd been gathering for this thing, got the keys and title. It needs some minor work to get it running. The seller is OK with me leaving it in place until the weather improves.

It's a 1980 C-700, formerly owned by Southern Pacific (RR). It has a 370. The crane is a 11,000 lb Utility with all hydraulic movement. The bed is 12 feet long, the crew cab is about 3 feet wide. The whole truck is 25 feet long. It has it's share of body dents and such, but everything works strong.

This hits me on several different levels; I like cranes, I like railroad stuff, including maint equipment. I am particular to Southern Pacific, as that was the local road where I grew up. And, I like big trucks, and have always had a soft spot for these Ford C-trucks. I have lots of uses for this ol' beast, but i admit, it's mainly a toy. I sold off other stuff to buy it, so it doesn't come out of the domestic budget. Which eliminates any friction with my wife

Looking forward to getting it home and rearranging the property! Dan

Last edited by Southgate; 03-19-2011 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Correcting a mistake
Old 03-19-2011, 04:49 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Clutch

I just did one last fall. I dont have the part no. but my Napa had it right on
the shelf. Thats the master and slave cyl. Like $90 bucks or so. And a note you had better fill the master cyl before you install cause you will
have a big mess. I learned the hard way, or put brake fluid in a squirt
oil can. What a stupid way you have to fill those things.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:23 PM
rummur s.c.
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive got your trucks brother! Check this one out..

1974 C900 digger derick,

Old 03-19-2011, 08:49 PM
mokehill151
New User
I just saw this thread and its great. I have a 67 C950 with a 534 fire truck and so far everything works great other then the air brake treadle valve doesn't like the freeing weather up here... I just found a old C600 yard doge in a junk yard this weekend and took the windshields out for spares as one of mine has wear marks from the visor that will not come out. Looking for the gaskets that hopefully will take the chrome trim that mine has. I tried to upload a photo but couldn't do it.

Quick Reply: Looking for other C series owners