Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Looking for other C series owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:34 PM
sunnyD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FORD C SERIES

Hello!
I was hoping someone could help me out. My boyfriend and myself recently purchased a Ford C series. The title states it's a 75', model space is blank and body says CB. the vin begins with c75. So, I'm assuming its a c750 but now it runs on diesel making it a 7500? If anyone could please give me some insight on it as far as history, value etc. It's running great but doing a full restoration. Thanks in advance!

Tiffany.

my SunnyD

Old 08-05-2014, 10:35 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tiff,

The diesel models were C6000, C7000 and C8000. I have never observed a C7500, at least officially from Ford. But then I have not been around every model year C series, so I would not take that as gospel.

If it started life as a gas C750, then it would still be a C750 even though it has a diesel now.

Nice project by the way, have fun with it! Somebody at one time spent some money on chrome dress up goodies and Alcoa rims.

David

Old 08-06-2014, 06:07 PM
sunnyD
New User
C series

Hi David thanks for the response!
The vin starts with c75. I have read somewhere that c750 were made diesel by special order to Ford. Not really sure. But yes we both fell in love with the truck and have great things planned for it!

Tiffany

Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 PM
JAndrus
New User
1954 C600 COE

I just jumped into the FTE to post progress on my 1954 C600 COE Dump bed.
I'll post photos as I learn the ropes! I'm looking for replacement wheels for my 5 lug 8 inch widowmakers. Thanks

Old 02-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Merty
New User
Glad to find this thread-Just purchased a 1968 C600. Reading through the FTE post I have gained some knowledge but still know little about C series trucks. Had Numberdummy decode my VIN which helped out a lot. I was wondering what was the best source of information. Have seen several posts on parts manuals but which is the best?
Also wondering parts interchangeability- doesn't seem like the cabs changed much over the years. Which years are pretty much the same.
Has anyone done an engine swap? My VIN states it should have a 330 HD but the guy I bought it from said it has a 391, engine was rebuilt a few years ago. I haven't had the time to measure the stroke yet.
Are the round saddle tanks stock? Mine has a square tank that looks boring. Id like to add some aluminum saddle tanks to dress it up abit.
Hope this thread is still kicking!

Old 02-01-2015, 01:55 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Merty
Glad to find this thread-Just purchased a 1968 C600. Reading through the FTE post I have gained some knowledge but still know little about C series trucks. Had Numberdummy decode my VIN which helped out a lot. I was wondering what was the best source of information. Have seen several posts on parts manuals but which is the best?
Also wondering parts interchangeability- doesn't seem like the cabs changed much over the years. Which years are pretty much the same.
Has anyone done an engine swap? My VIN states it should have a 330 HD but the guy I bought it from said it has a 391, engine was rebuilt a few years ago. I haven't had the time to measure the stroke yet.
Are the round saddle tanks stock? Mine has a square tank that looks boring. Id like to add some aluminum saddle tanks to dress it up abit.
Hope this thread is still kicking!

Welcome! Yes there are still several of us C series owners out there

I have spent some time editing the wiki c series guide, that is good for general information. Cabs changed very little other that in some detail parts, IE dual verses quad headlamps, doors as in locking mechanisms, width of the front fender lips and the front emblem, from a Ford gear, to nothing, to a blue oval. Yours would have had the Ford gear emblem from the factory

I have also spent some time scanning various brochures, and even a detailed Ford dealer guide which even lists things such as the thickness of the sheet metal used in the cab, right down to the dash. Some have been posted here, some can be found in my photobucket account - same user name dmanlyr

As to a engine swap, anything is possible given enough time and of course money. I personally just cannot get into a swap myself, due to the expense, and limitations of the basic truck. A lot of fuel can be bought for a 8 to 15k engine, transmission, axle, tire and brake swap! Assuming going to a diesel engine, a decent modern transmission, better brakes for the increased speed and new axles/tires (front and rear) to support the weight of the diesel and still have the same capacity to carry weight. Plus then to be legal, the truck would have to be recertified (by a professional shop) at the higher GVW, and who will do that, let alone even work on a 45 or more year old truck?

I still drive my 1970 just fine with its 330, in fact I moved 1.82 million pounds last year out of the local quarries. Not too bad for a 45 year old truck.

As to a 391, could have one, but not from the factory, ALL C600's did not have this option, and that fact is supported by all brochures and in depth specification guides that I have seen and have on hand. I will add this, for some reason all these trucks seem to have 391's in them after a few years, guess some feel it is a selling point.

Factory parts manuals will show however that all C500 thru C900's had 330, 361 and 391's but this is more for shortening the parts manual by grouping that actually showing what was standard and optional.

391's were 4 barrel carb equipped (at least from the factory), does yours have a 4 barrel carb?

361/s could be either a 2 barrel or 4 barrel depending upon the year and all 330's were 2 barrel

I do not get on here much anymore, but if you have any questions, I and I am sure others will try to help you as best as possible.

David

Old 02-03-2015, 08:06 AM
just-j
New User
Nice C-series

I have a 61 C600 with a RARE 99inch Short wheel with a 5th wheel hitch...that might /hopefully get to.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Steve Noland
Mountain Pass
Looking for C-series Cab

I'm looking for a C series cab with title, any help appreciated. It doesn't matter which C600-C8000.

I have everything else I need to make a hauler for my 1st gen Econolines.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:22 PM
just-j
New User
Hi Steve Noland

Send a PM with contact.....info

I can share info.

Thx,

Old 02-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Merty
New User
David- Thanks for the advice/info. Just read an old post of yours on the 330 in the engine section that was very informative. Been leaning towards keeping the truck an all stock survivor. As I was researching the engine and maybe doing a swap unless it was for a 361 or 391 would lead to a new trans and rear end, I don't believe anyone else mentioned the re inspection for the GVW. -That has to be PITA. You must be one serious attention to detail guy. I mean that in a good way.
Found a post that aluminum rims off an old dodge motorhome could fit- Has anyone heard or tried that? Mine does have budd style rims but wouldn't mind another upgrade.
Has anyone added a vintage air A/C to a C-Series?
Had the truck shipped last week so I can't get to it to check the carb or stroke yet.

Last edited by Merty; 02-07-2015 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Added a rim question
Old 02-09-2015, 10:50 AM
Old Girl 54 f600
Freshman User
my '77 COE with 534 gas

Old 02-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Steve Noland
Mountain Pass
Just-j, I just saw your reply. I found a C750 local!

1974 C750, 391 4v, Allison AT650 5 speed, and FOUR-WHEEL-DRIVE with XZY3's all around!!!!!!

It's a great running rig so I get to scrap out the motor home chassis that I was going to put a cab on.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:10 PM
smonahan74
New User
C750 with dump

Hi everyone. I have a 77 C750 that has (pretty sure) blown head gasket. I am debating what to do with it if that is the case. Replace gasket, replace the engine or sell it for someone else to deal with.

It is in pretty good shape and I am not in it too much. Any thoughts? I don't know why the pictures uploaded so big. Sorry!

Old 03-17-2015, 03:28 PM
coalnation
New User
Originally Posted by smonahan74

Hi everyone. I have a 77 C750 that has (pretty sure) blown head gasket. I am debating what to do with it if that is the case. Replace gasket, replace the engine or sell it for someone else to deal with.

It is in pretty good shape and I am not in it too much. Any thoughts? I don't know why the pictures uploaded so big. Sorry!
FIX IT UP!

Old 04-03-2015, 10:20 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Yes for sure repair or if you have to, sell it, just don't scrap it!

If you want to sell, give me a shout, always looking for SWB cabovers

D

Quick Reply: Looking for other C series owners