I was trying to replace my fuel filter on my 07 expy EL and was expecting to find the blue style retaining clips on the fuel line. However, I found a different style and wasn't sure how to remove them. So, I tried to gently pull the little red lever that I saw and it snapped off with almost no pressure. Not at all what I was expecting!
You can sort of see the broken red clip in this pic:
So now what do I do? I still need to change the fuel filter but have no idea how to remove the 2 plastic retainer devices. Also, I'm assuming I need to replace these broken pieces, will the dealership carry these things and can they be replaced?
Broke one too so here it is.
A. Rags and eye protection a must.
1. I pull the fuse that controls the fuel pump.
2. Start engine let it die so fuel pressure is gone.
3. Use the Ford tool to remove the single braided line.
4. Grab filter remove it from the bracket drain excess fuel into rag.
5. The next step sux. I found out the hard way. Use an awl that has a right angle that can reach the pointy end of the clips holding them in. If you can get to the pointy end of the clip they can be removed OR.
6 OR just use a screw driver to pull the clips out they will break
7. So you want to save money doing it yourself! I PAID 8.95 at the dealer for a new clip. Yes that tiny thing that has 14 cents of plastic.
I am not responsible if you break something, just telling you what I know.
Thanks for the info! Do you happen to know what size removal tool to use on the single line side? I have the plastic set and could not get any of them to properly remove the line.
Also, do you happen to have a part number for the clips? I've read of people having to buy the whole fuel line just to get the clips. When you bought the replacement clips, did the dealership easily identify what you were looking for or was it a bit of a hassle?
My clips are already broken, so I'll just yank them out and replace if it's possible.
The tool is from K&D Tools part number 3321, FUEL LINE QUICK DISCONNECT TOOL". It is hinged in the middle to wrap around the fuel line and covers 5/16 and 3/8 lines. I have had this for about 15 years. Drove E-150's for amost 20 years. Don't even remember where I bought it. The clips, well the parts guy I sort of know as I have been in there before, looked at me like he knew I was going to pay and almost smiled when he told me 8.95. He was back in a flash like he had a box full just around the corner. I can find the receipt and part number if you need it.
A part number would be great because I went to the parts department yesterday and was told that they didn't sell the red and blue clips and that I'd have to completely replace the 2 fuel lines from the tank at a cost of $240 plus labor
You only mentioned having to replace 1 clip, was this on an expedition or an F-150?