1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Jr. West Coast Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:16 AM
BeerCan500
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jr. West Coast Mirrors

Hey Guys, I am going to replace the stock mirrors with some west coast style mirrors so I don't have to use those slip on extenders anymore. I am thinking of using Junior West Coast Mirror - Cham-Cal Engineering | AW Direct these. I don't like the ****'s.

However, I am not sure if I can make them fit...They probably will, but it will leave some original mounting holes exposed. I guess I can find something to plug the old holes or maybe the new mirrors will cover them. Will have to make new holes at the top...Anybody every do this before?

Twice now the police have stopped me and told me they didn't like the extenders cuz they claim it doesn't provide enough "towing coverage" to be safe. Both times was here in Texas. I never heard of towing coverage before, but I guess since I will be in Texas for some time I better do something before I get a Texas sized ticket...

Old 09-08-2012, 10:28 AM
CountryBumkin
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the (smallish) 6x9 mirrors and they provide enough coverage for me to see past my enclosed trailer. I can't imagine needing much more coverage unless you haul a 5th wheel trailer. I think the west coast mirrors are going to be a pain to install. My first suggestion would be to find out exactly what the Texas law requires - then go down to the Ford delaership and see what size mirrors Ford is puttin gon their trucks with the tow package.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:18 AM
BeerCan500
Senior User
Mirrors

Originally Posted by CountryBumkin
I have the (smallish) 6x9 mirrors and they provide enough coverage for me to see past my enclosed trailer. I can't imagine needing much more coverage unless you haul a 5th wheel trailer. I think the west coast mirrors are going to be a pain to install. My first suggestion would be to find out exactly what the Texas law requires - then go down to the Ford delaership and see what size mirrors Ford is puttin gon their trucks with the tow package.
That's a good idea...see what is being put on tow package vehicles...And yes I do pull a 5th wheel, but our stock mirrors seem to work fine. Never had any probs before and even before the extenders I put on those little adjustable mirrors and never had a problem...Nary a horn honk or bird cuz I changed lanes or cut someone off. I never have a problem backing up either...Only prob with checking Texas law is even if I am right and the cop is wrong...paying for a lawyer is not worth it. I have even heard judges say that the citing officers judgement is enough to overrule the law if he believes an accident is possible with equipment being used...I guess they just expect to see big honking mirrors when pulling a trailer or 5th wheel here.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:12 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Jr. West Coast Mirrors

I haul a 5th wheel with mine and I have the low mount trailer mirrors, I would have to measure them, but I believe they are larger than 6X9. Here is a picture of the right side.

Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2012, 11:37 AM
CountryBumkin
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
85leb' Your mirrors are bigger than my 6x9s -

BeerCan500, (hmm, if that name reflects your hobbies, I wonder if that has anything to do with you getting harassed by law)
RegardingTexas law, if you follow the law, and still get a ticket you go to court. You don't need a lawyer. 9 times out of 10 the cop doesn't even show up (especialy when he knows he wrong) and the case is throw out.
I had this happen to me, and know several others who had the same experience.
Sometimes these Cops just don't know what their talking about. But on the side of the road, they are always right. Just be polite and go to court if you have a dispute.
Good luck.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:19 PM
AZ_Ford_Guy
Senior User
You said you were using slip on style mirrors. Here is a link to O.E. style extendable mirrors. They don't add any mirror surface area, but they do add a extension in a factory look with the same mounting as your current mirrors.
Restoring American History | Mustang Parts | Camaro Parts | Chevelle Parts | Ford Truck Parts | T-Bird Parts | Firebird Parts

Old 09-10-2012, 09:51 PM
00Boss
Elder User
My buddy did some diggin on tx mirror laws due to removin doors from his blazer. Truth is you only need 1 mirror and there was no size limit.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 PM
raptor in TN.
New User
Originally Posted by BeerCan500
That's a good idea...see what is being put on tow package vehicles...And yes I do pull a 5th wheel, but our stock mirrors seem to work fine. Never had any probs before and even before the extenders I put on those little adjustable mirrors and never had a problem...Nary a horn honk or bird cuz I changed lanes or cut someone off. I never have a problem backing up either...Only prob with checking Texas law is even if I am right and the cop is wrong...paying for a lawyer is not worth it. I have even heard judges say that the citing officers judgement is enough to overrule the law if he believes an accident is possible with equipment being used...I guess they just expect to see big honking mirrors when pulling a trailer or 5th wheel here.
I live in Georgia and use my 81 f 250 to pull a 20 foot trailer at times and i don't even have a drivers side mirror lol.Never even been stopped for anything here..I do need to buy or find someone willing to trade me a mirror,stock mirror.