1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Cab swap, what to do about VIN tag?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:32 PM
bulletsneverlie
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab swap, what to do about VIN tag?

Because of extensive rust damage, we just swapped a '92 cab, doors, rear bumper, rims/tires and bed onto my brother's '84 F150. Now we're wondering what we should do about the VIN tag in the windshield. Any suggestions? Can I just swap in the '84 tag? What do body shops do in this situation?

Old 01-02-2010, 05:37 PM
86bigred
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check with the local athorities.I thinking you will have to use the vin off the new cab.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:45 PM
bghnkinf250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
x2. There are more places on the truck with the VIN than the body. Check with authorities and DMV.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,661 Likes on 1,343 Posts
Before you talk to anyone official, make sure you have a title or bill of sale for the 92. They are going to want to know where it came from, and if you got it legally.

I know a lot of trucks that are sold "without a title" and scrapped out had liens on them from a bank. So in other words, they were not the individuals truck to sell, it was the bank's truck. A lot of shady stuff goes on, so that's why it's such a sticky situation, even though you are just fixing up a old truck.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 PM
greyghost85
Postmaster
x2 on that. like dealing with a salvage title

Old 01-02-2010, 10:31 PM
NavyMIDN08
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
is your engine stock? your transmission? the VIN is little more than a tracking number the gov't uses to tax you. being an 8 year newer truck, you may get an insurance discount if you use the VIN off of the cab, but may have to pay more for registration. (the 92 has more safety features). however, then you'll need to swap license plates. when i swapped cabs they told me just to pick one or the other. i'd keep all pertinent records just in case an issue ever arrives, but when was the last time a cop compared engine and cab vin #s on your truck anyways? i'd use the vin off of the vehicle that has known-to-be-clear title, and the fewest accidents on record. do a carfax check on both. keeping a bill of sale is a smart move. as is keeping both titles, if you have them both. if you don't have both titles, you'll have trouble registering it that way regardless. if you do decide to keep the old VIN (my recommendation), drill the old tag out so its no longer there, clean it up so its not obvious, then either JB weld the correct tag in place, or clean up the area and paint it so its not noticeable. if there is ever a question, be honest, tell them you swapped cabs... just my .02

Old 01-02-2010, 11:35 PM
bulletsneverlie
Elder User
Everything not mentioned at the top is from the '84 (drivetrain, frame, front clip), except the dash, it's from a '90. We're sentimental about the '84, it belonged to my grandfather. My brother has the '84 title, the man we bought the '92 from has the title, we just haven't picked it up yet (he's trustworthy, a family friend). I was thinking along the lines of your recommendation NavyMIDN08.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:05 AM
bghnkinf250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I ran across something similar once, VIN did not match the year of the Chevy truck. It took some extra work, but I finally discovered that the DMV screwed up and put the wrong year on the title. Long story short, you should be okay, BUT make sure DMV gets it all right on the paperwork. Most will not pay attention, but you might just run acroos one or two cops who are car guys and will see red flags, causing them to go deeper. As long as the paperwork supports the end product, you should be fine.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by NavyMIDN08
...... drill the old tag out so its no longer there, clean it up so its not obvious, then either JB weld the correct tag in place, or clean up the area and paint it so its not noticeable. if there is ever a question, be honest, tell them you swapped cabs... just my .02
What ever you do, DONOT mess with the rivit heads, they are special and cops WILL look at them(traffic stop,accident or just snooping parking lots), if they are not correct, $#it will happen! I helped my friend who works in auto glass do some side jobs at the impound lot pulling windshields. I sure got a ear full about those VIN tags!

Old 01-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,661 Likes on 1,343 Posts
It's a mess no matter what you do. You could use the 92 title, but if you have inspections and smog testing, the 84 engine is not going to pass 92 emissions.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:03 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
The Vin goes by what is stamped on the frame anyway. At least that's how it is in California. The one on the cab is for ease of inspection is all.

This is what happens in California...

Most likely you will need to change the tag on the cab, and remove and replace the safety certification lable with one that the state will make out for you.

In some situations, like making a pickup bed trailer for instance, the state will want the original title of all vehicles it took to make the new vehicle or trailer, to make sure they are free and clear, and they will issue you a WHOLE NEW vin number, with new tags and sticker that you place on the cab or frame. This could cause smog concerns in this state as with a new vin issued, they may want 2010 compliant smog.

When you get stopped by a cop, you need to show him the new state issued tag, etc if not conspicuous...

This may vary in your state, so check with them. Also this state changes laws like underwear so, check with even California... I do however suspect it's something simular.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:53 PM
bulletsneverlie
Elder User
I guess I'll put in a call to the DMV. I'm not gonna try to be too shady. The emissions laws aren't that tough in this county.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:30 PM
bulletsneverlie
Elder User
According to the dmv, I have to take it to get it inspected, then they'll issue a title with the new vin. I've gotta call the guy on tuesday to get all the particulars before I go up there. If they want to dance, I'll need to know the music first.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:30 PM
greyghost85
Postmaster
i am in the same boat with my salvage title

Old 01-08-2010, 06:41 PM
ken's 80
Senior User
In Jersey they will make you retitle the truck. There are several VIN's on every vehicle AND there is a HIDDEN VIN on every modern vehicle that can only be found with a special book that the police use. The location varies from year to year/model to model.

It is illegal to romove ANY VIN. You cannot scrape,grind, file or cut them away.

IF you changed the cab VIN, the hidden # would still be there.

Contact your local P.D. , have them run a NCIC check on the new vehicle you are planning on using. Do NOT take it for granted that there are no issues with that vehicle. It would be a shame to go through the trouble of cleaning it up only to find the donor was wanted for something. It will be confiscated and held (UNTIL THE COWS COME HOME).

Take the NCIC printout to DMV and go through the drawnout process of having it retitled. It will make it easier to sleep afterwards.

I would believe they would have you use your original VIN because the hidden # on the frame will still be there.

Quick Reply: Cab swap, what to do about VIN tag?