Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > General Automotive Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

General Automotive Discussion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Post Fiend

cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.
how to stop doors and windows from freezing shut?

seems like I have this problem every year,doesn't matter what vehicle I own(hasn't happened to the truck yet though). It will rain or have wet heavy snow,then the next day the temp gets down to zero or close,and the windows/doors freeze up and will not open until it warms up outside. I usually am able to get one door open,and can then get the other ones open from pushing from the inside,but the windows are pretty much hopeless until after the car has ran for at least 30 minutes,which is a pain in the butt because I hardly ever drive the car that long at one time. Is there anything I can buy to put on the window/door seals to keep them from freezing? thanks!!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:47 AM
FTE Administrator

SteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputationSteveBricks has a superb reputation
Try some cooking spray like Pam or some WD40.
Join our Chapter *HERE*
9/21/54 - 9/25/09
Old 01-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Old, tired and grouchy

Old93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputation
^^^ Even Steve, where it NEVER freezes knows!........WD-40, Pam, Silicone lube, all will keep the moisture at bay at keep the rubber weatherstrips pliant and sealing well.
84 Ranger 4x4 2.8 V-6 5spd......474,000 miles!
Dave
Oregon Assistant Chapter leader: To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 01-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Post Fiend

cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.
I thought of wd-40 or cooking spray,but wouldn't that leave a mess on the windows when I roll them up and down?
Old 01-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Old, tired and grouchy

Old93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjben View Post
I thought of wd-40 or cooking spray,but wouldn't that leave a mess on the windows when I roll them up and down?
Not sure the config of your windows, but on mine the worst you get is a little on the extreme edges of window where it goes into the weaterstripping, nothing to worry about. I have never had trouble with the bottom edge against the window freezing up yet.
84 Ranger 4x4 2.8 V-6 5spd......474,000 miles!
Dave
Oregon Assistant Chapter leader: To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 01-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Senior User

wycowboy63 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I use silicone spray on mine. Works well and doesn't leave a mess unless you overdo it.

Chris
Old 01-02-2010, 02:01 PM
<---Dog is my co-pilot

ArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputation
Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick is easy-on rubber care for your seals and weatherstripping.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/donjamer/FTE%20Pics/blumax500-1-1.jpgFTE Fraternity of Blue Max
Old 01-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
If you use the silicone stuff, don't get any on your paint. If you ever repaint the vehicle, that will give problems until that area is acid etched.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Post Fiend

rebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud of
I always used silicon spray on the vertical edges and on all the weatherstrips around the door. The weatherstrips rub in by hand, the windows use a rag for paint protection and spray into the channels or soak a foam Q-tip and rub/squeeze into the channel

But, if you have troubles after that, then get a marine dry lube with graphite, available at West Marine.

Libraries are like art museums for the printed word.

Bronco IIs and 4x4 E-series -
the best Fords, because I own them!
Old 01-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Postmaster

fonefiddy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.fonefiddy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Don't Use Pam, WD, Silicone. Use Maguires Rubber Conditioner. Any of the others will deteriorate the rubber over time.

I've found the best cure is to use Rain-X, and to USE a snow brush. When it snows, brush it off completely. Not just enough to see. If You get all of the snow off, it doesn't melt as You drive, and cause freeze ups.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...149391.520.390
Old 01-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Posting Guru

jimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to beholdjimbo beam is a splendid one to behold
When I detailed cars a few years back a trick the shop manager taught us was to use liquid tire shine on all the rubber surfaces, seemed to work pretty well. We'd have 50-100 cars on the dealer lot at any time, never had a freezing problem with any of them.

I like to roll all the windows down as far as they'll go, then using a rag I soak the rubber window channel area with the tire shine, use a clean rag to wipe of the excess. Tire shine also works well when applied on the door-jam weather stripping, keeps the doors from freezing shut. Application is the same, soak a rag and apply to the weather stripping.

I like to use a squirt of wd-10 into each of the exterior door lock holes to keep them from freezing. I also soak the latch area and door hinges with wd40 to keep them from freezing too.

Like fonefiddy mentioned, remove all the snow that you possibly can from the vehicle. The snow melts as the vehicle warms up, then the newly melted snow-water seeps into everywhere and refreezes once the vehicle cools off for a long period of time, like sitting over night.
1996 F150. 306/4R70W. E303 cam, AFR205 heads, TrickFlow intake mani, CAI, 90mm TB, 30lb injectors, MSD 6A, long tubes/duals, B&M shift kit, Moates Quarterhorse tuned, etc etc... 13.265 @ 103mph in a extended cab with "just a 302..."
1994 F150 4x4. 302, ZF5 swap, 3 inch lift, 33X12.50 BFG KM2s, 4.10s. "6 litre tuneup", gt40 heads, shorty headers/glasspacks.
1994 F150 4x4. 351, e4od. Stock for now...
Old 01-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Posting Guru

rywegh has a good reputation on FTE.rywegh has a good reputation on FTE.
Ryan M Weghorn
I have always used Pledge at least on the door frames. It keeps the door from sticking to the rubber gasket and leaves a nice lemony fresh scent while doing it.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Former Vendor

DanoFF50 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fluid Film will keep your door frames and locks from freezing, and it will last a heck of a lot longer than anything else you could try. No solvents to evaporate.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Postmaster

Furyus1 has a spectacular reputation.Furyus1 has a spectacular reputation.Furyus1 has a spectacular reputation.Furyus1 has a spectacular reputation.Furyus1 has a spectacular reputation.Furyus1 has a spectacular reputation.Furyus1 has a spectacular reputation.Furyus1 has a spectacular reputation.Furyus1 has a spectacular reputation.Furyus1 has a spectacular reputation.Furyus1 has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoFF50 View Post
Fluid Film will keep your door frames and locks from freezing, and it will last a heck of a lot longer than anything else you could try. No solvents to evaporate.
I can vouch for the locks - It works great for them...
"
You obviously don't comprehend the level of insane I operate at." - The 4th Doctor
Old 01-07-2010, 02:21 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > General Automotive Discussion

Tags
2000, car, cars, door, doors, f150, ford, freeze, freezing, garage, shut, stop, time, window, windows