Sponsored by: Moser

Drivetrain vibration & rough ride 2010 Supercrew 4x4 lariat

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Fraisthorpe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Drivetrain vibration & rough ride 2010 Supercrew 4x4 lariat

I just bought a new 2010 supercrew 4x4 lariat. I have 2000 mles on it. vehicle is equipped with 20" wheels with scorpion tires.
Problem is that ride is very hard plus there is really annoying low level vibration that seems to be related to drivetrain - this vibration is most noticable on smooth roads. i have owned 99, 03, 05, and 08 4x4 lariat supercrews and this is by far the worst riding truck. i put a lot of miles on my trucks and this one is not in the least enjoyable to drive.
i took it back to ford dealership and they just said that these new bodies are 'stiffer' and transmit more vibration and that new 6 speed transmission is not as smooth.
I reduced tire pressure from 40psi (as delivered) to 35psi with no difference
i don't buy it - i believe that something is wrong that can be fixed - but not sure where to look.
other than this problem i really like the truck!
any ideas?

Old 01-01-2010, 04:12 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it to another dealer and get their opinion.

If they tell you the same thing, read your manual. There are specific procedures for dealing with this type of issue.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:33 PM
REDFORDFX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fraisthorpe
I just bought a new 2010 supercrew 4x4 lariat. I have 2000 mles on it. vehicle is equipped with 20" wheels with scorpion tires.
Problem is that ride is very hard plus there is really annoying low level vibration that seems to be related to drivetrain - this vibration is most noticable on smooth roads. i have owned 99, 03, 05, and 08 4x4 lariat supercrews and this is by far the worst riding truck. i put a lot of miles on my trucks and this one is not in the least enjoyable to drive.
i took it back to ford dealership and they just said that these new bodies are 'stiffer' and transmit more vibration and that new 6 speed transmission is not as smooth.
I reduced tire pressure from 40psi (as delivered) to 35psi with no difference
i don't buy it - i believe that something is wrong that can be fixed - but not sure where to look.
other than this problem i really like the truck!
any ideas?

I would say the 20inch tires small side wall would have alot to do with feeling ever little bump there is?

Old 01-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Fraisthorpe
New User
Thanks for the responses
I will try another dealership. I also agree 20" wheels have lower profile tires which have less "give" than smaller wheels, but, even taking that into account as producing harder ride, i still believe there is someting going on with drivetrain system that is producing a really annoying vibration.
Any other ideas or similar experiences appreciated
Thanks

Old 01-02-2010, 12:08 AM
JTreibs
Junior User
Fraisthorpe
I have a 2010 Lariat with 20 pirellis as well. I know what you mean. A couple of things to remember. The 20" wheels come with a sport tuned suspension. I believe this along with the less rubber on those tires adds to your unsmooth ride. Also take into account that those pirellis flat spot for alot of people. I test drove a platinum with 18s before the Lariat and its ride was smoother. Just something to consider.

I was thinking about adding a leveling kit to the front and putting more rubber on those 20s to give it a better ride... but I think we might be screwed from the get-go with the sport tuned suspension.

The whole stiffer bodies = more vibration is garbage. If the wheels were rigidly mounted to the frame then yes, absolutely. But The best rides in vehicles are from vehicles that have frames with less ductility (flex) and better shocks/springs combinations. A shock and spring combination has a specific amount of movement when acted on by an outside force. If you have a frame that flexes over such a large area, your ride and reliability and quietness is going to goto the dogs.

J

Old 01-02-2010, 02:00 AM
Huck BB62
Senior User
Test drive

Seriously, get the service manager at your dealership to take you on a back to back test drive in your truck and then another similar one on the lot. This tactic works wonders.

Might end up being those tires.

My Raptor's a magic carpet ride!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:52 PM
peter_bilt101
New User
vibe issues

I drive a xlt with 18 goodyears, but am having an issue similar to yours!I don't think its tranny?but more the driveline or tires it's a humming vibration at any speed,I have 50000 kms don't know what that would equate to in miles?because i'm from canada.driving at highwy speed 110km per hr i can take it out of gear and shift into neutral and that darn humming vibration will not go away, the reason i did this was to eliminate the tranny? any ideas?

Old 01-18-2010, 06:33 AM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
Are they in balance? Checked with a high speed computer balancer? Just because they were mounted does not mean they are balanced correctly. Chris

Old 01-25-2010, 04:30 PM
johnmsch
Junior User
I have the same setup as you, and I don't notice any vibrations at all. Just picked up the truck on Saturday, but have been on backroads, interstate, etc. It rides really smooth.

I'd say go to another dealer and make them ride in it with you.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:47 PM
captaineddie
Senior User
I have the max-tow package with 20-inch wheels with the Pirellis and my truck rides fine.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:08 PM
khogle2
New User
Originally Posted by captaineddie
I have the max-tow package with 20-inch wheels with the Pirellis and my truck rides fine.
mine is the same as your truck, and it is good. in fact, I test drove about 10 different trucks with various tires, spring combinations and the 20" set up was really pretty good.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:26 PM
BulletBob
Junior User
Frais - good luck with your endeavor. Unfortunately, I've been living with the same experience since the Summer (same setup, 20's and same tires). Had the truck at two different dealers twice a piece, tires balanced/rotated at both dealers, updated programs, etc. Still has not changed the vibration and roughness of the ride.

JT - I'll have to dig into the "sport-tuned suspension" you mentioned. That stinks if it is the case and we are stuck with this forever. I was thinking about adding a leveling kit and different tires to see if it would go away. Would I just be wasting the money?

Thanks,
BB

Old 01-28-2010, 08:12 AM
jwh2car
Mountain Pass
If you have the 20's, and from what I'm reading that means you have a specially sport-tuned suspension, does that also equate to the max tow package or is it some all different hard-ware altogether?

Old 01-30-2010, 12:45 AM
Spindoctor
Junior User
I have the 20" Pirelli option and my truck is smooth as silk on any type of surface. Large bumps can be felt and heard, but not in an objectionable way at all. Something's wrong for sure. Shocks and springs won't cause vibrations issues - they result in a bit more harshness over bumps which some perceive as a "rough ride" while others as "controlled road holding and handling". You might want to have an expert at an alignment shop take it for a spin.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:32 AM
FTrookie
New User
I don't believe it is your 20" tires. I have 18" tires on my 09'S/C and I have the same issue. I test drove the extended cab version when I was looking a trucks and it rode very well. I was told by the dealer that the SC would ride even better since it was heavier, made sense. NO not true. This thing rides like a covered wagon and the vibration you are talking about is driving me nuts. It is ever so slight and it definately is not a wheel balance issue. Feels more like a tranny issue or maybe the driveshaft balance. To compound the issue, the dealer I bought from went out of business 2 months after I purchased and the new Ford dealer in my area was a Pontiac dealer that was going under and bought the Ford franchise, so I am not sure what the skill level is there. I am going to have to take it further away and see if I can get a better answer.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain vibration & rough ride 2010 Supercrew 4x4 lariat