Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2009, 06:41 PM
New User

ianobetz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rear Heater Not Working

I just purchased a pretty nice, older ford E-350 superduty van. It has rear AC/Heater. The front heater works great, but the rear heater does not blow hot air, just cold. There's no place to adjust the temperature on the rear heater (it runs off the front controls).

The Haynes manual doesn't go into the rear heater too much, so I was looking for some direction. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start my diagnosis?

Thanks for your help, Ian
Old 01-01-2010, 11:15 AM
New User

Update:

I did some snooping around in the rear heater... The condenser in the back is getting hot, but there's no air going through the intake to pass through the condenser. I'm not sure how to get in the compartment to check things out though.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Post Fiend

gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Turn on the rear fan for a start.

Make sure that the Front control is on "Heater".

NOT AC.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:32 PM
New User

Well... I guess I asked for a place to start didn't I? Thanks gearloose1. At least you didn't tell me to open the door, insert key into the ignition and start the engine.

I've gotten to the blower motor in the back. It seems that when I turn it from cold to hot on the thermostat, the door inside the blower assembly doesn't switch from A/C to Heater. The vacuum line looks like its in good shape, but makes no sound when turned from cold to hot. Has anyone run into a problem like this?
Old 01-01-2010, 03:01 PM
New User

More troubleshooting resulted in getting the heater to work by disconnecting the vacuum line that goes to the blend door actuator. When I disconnected it, the door opened right up and switched from AC to Heat. So no matter where I the thermostat is on the panel, the vacuum line is keeping the heater door closed. Sounds like an instrument panel issue. Any help from here?
Old 01-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Post Fiend

gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.gearloose1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Vacuum control switch on the front panel is the next place to check.

Find out why it is not delivering or shutting off vacuum.

Is the line normally on (vacumme) or off (no vacuum)?

If you can find the routing... sometimes, the line is kinked... or alternatively, plugged.

Compressed air carefully used can help --- be careful not to damage anything using too high a pressure...etc...

Do you have a kinked line?

Check that first.

Then check the dash switch and see if the line is pulling vacuum...
Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 AM
New User

getout is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did you end up figuring out what was wrong? I've got the same problem in a van I just bought. Haven't gotten into it yet but now that I've got a place to start I might get it pulled apart over the weekend.

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2013, 01:59 PM
New User

Joseph Luke Plotts is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same prob with my e150.....any solutions?>???
Old 11-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Luke Plotts View Post
I have the same prob with my e150.....any solutions?>???
Do you have a Club Wagon or other high trim level van---or is your rear heater assembly uncovered?
Old 11-08-2013, 02:03 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans

Tags
2000, 2004, 2006, e350, ford, heat, heater, hot, motor, rear, switch, truck, van, working, works