1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mono Leaf Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check here Dropped axle Axles Axel for an axle. Joe

Old 01-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Well, how'd that happen? Dropped axle Axles Axel is what I entered.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Ok, FTE shows it stuff. forget the www. Then enter droppedaxles. Then add the .com. Maybe that will pass. This is extremely irritating. Joe

Old 01-01-2010, 10:12 AM
HD74
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex 51
I just had an email back from Dave Mann at Roadsters.com, nice chap, said there's no problem shipping a dropped beam overseas, the beam $350, dropped rod end adapters $60 (and only $140 shipping to France)

But currently (01/01/10) there is an 8 week waiting list on truck axles due to demand.

I had a company from California quote $238 to ship a pair of mono springs to me.

It would be interesting to know how much springs and axles weigh for shipping purposes.

Alex
I ordered mine Dec 10th and I was told then it was 4wks. Humm, I'll have to check on that.
Hey Okiedokie, just check out the site you posted seem they are using the exact same pictures and pricing is the same.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Sid is the man who does the axles out of Guthrie/Ponca City Okla. [droppedaxles.com]They have a very good reputation around here. Joe

Old 01-01-2010, 11:52 AM
mfire138
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have mono leafs with reveresed eyes on my 58. The trucks rides with a little more bounce in the front end but its not to bad at all. I am about to order a drop axle from Sid to drop the truck another 2"

Old 01-01-2010, 07:01 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Dave Mann is the guy I'd use no matter how long the wait. He's very proud of the quality of the work he does and does it right. 8 weeks isn't long, are you going to drive your truck before beginning of March anyhow?
Removing every other leaf in the OEM stack will drop your truck ~ 4" and soften/smooth the ride as well. Reversing the main leaf eyes will drop it another 1 1/2".
If we haven't been able to convince you not to buy monos by now, I guess we never will. Good luck, mistakes are very expensive when parts have to be shipped overseas.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

I would stick with Sid.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Alex 51
Freshman User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Dave Mann is the guy I'd use no matter how long the wait. He's very proud of the quality of the work he does and does it right. 8 weeks isn't long, are you going to drive your truck before beginning of March anyhow? Oh yes... it has wipers so it wont be hidden from rain or snow - I'm using it nearly every day before I'm back to work on the 5th, the first show I'm going to is in two weekends time, and my mate wants me to take him to the church in it when he gets married next month -
Removing every other leaf in the OEM stack will drop your truck ~ 4" and soften/smooth the ride as well. Reversing the main leaf eyes will drop it another 1 1/2".
If we haven't been able to convince you not to buy monos by now, I guess we never will. Good luck, mistakes are very expensive when parts have to be shipped overseas.

I Had a reply yesterday from Sid who said...

"My axles are $350 for the axle $60 for tie rod drops and shipping is $140 USPS Total is $550. I just quoted a price to one of my of my dealer customers for a F-1 axle shipped to France. This must be you also. I am about 6 to 8 weeks behind on all my orders...Thanks SID"

Obviously he was refering to this email I had from Dave...

"Thanks for your interest in what we do. We are currently busy and there is a wait of eight weeks for our truck axles.
We can send your axle in the mail for roughly $140.
For another $60 we will include a spacer kit for you to install between your tie rod ends and the steering arms on your spindles so everything will fit as it should. F-1 axle and dropping it 3": $350
Tie rod spacer kit: $60
Shipping to France: $140
Total: $550 US"

So exactly who does these axles I dont know - Dave? Sid?

Personally I am not interested in Mono springs, I dont trust the thought of them and with the rural roads around here they will be heavily worked.

I blanket email companies when I'm on a mission to investigate stuff and explore many options in order to make my own mind up.

After all the enquiries and forum threads I have read I think Jag IFS is the best way for me to go, in UK they are dirt cheap, they are more expensive here in France due to rarity and the collectors etc.
I just need to find out if a LHD steering rack will be a straight swap onto a RHD front end - I did manage to find an XJS a couple of hundred miles south of me without and motor or box that is being offered for spares but still awaiting info from the seller on front end price and transportation etc

Cheers

Alex

Old 01-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Jeff Olsen
Junior User
Ax, I am convinced not to buy the mono's for the safety reason alone makes alot of sense. I think I will look into the drop axle instead. Would you remove everyother spring in the leafs? Seems a cheap and easy way of lowering.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Sid.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:33 PM
HD74
Elder User
Originally Posted by Okiedokie

Sid.

Neither, there being formed by an older Gent in Az. He was hospitalized last month and that's the reason for the long delivery time.
Just hope he gets well soon.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:36 PM
HD74
Elder User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Dave Mann is the guy I'd use no matter how long the wait. He's very proud of the quality of the work he does and does it right. 8 weeks isn't long, are you going to drive your truck before beginning of March anyhow?
So your saying that removing ever other leaf from the stack can lower it 4 inch, without the axle drop? Thanks

Old 01-02-2010, 12:29 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Mid Fifty had info on removing every other leaf from the OEM as well as how much drop you can expect from each lowering modification but it seems to have disappeared from their latest online version. I'll have to see if I can find one of my paper copies and scan the instructions and table.
Yes 3-4" just from spring work depending of how much the OEM stack has sagged over the years.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

I hate to disagree, but I believe Sid drops his own. I will ask him to make sure.

Quick Reply: Mono Leaf Springs