Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Post Fiend

4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of
Smile How to: Install New Window Motor w/pics

So I got bored at work again and decided to do a write up on installing my new window motor.

Tools needed:

Ratchet

5.5mm socket

7mm socket

8mm socket

Step 1.

Tape up the window so it doesn't fall and brake when you remove the motor.

Click the image to open in full size.

(I used Gorilla tape, plenty strong but wont remove paint)

Step 2.

Remove Switch panel and black plastic that covers mirror bolts.

(You should just be able to pry these off with your fingers)

Step 3.

Remove Red reflector on door and remove the screw behind it along with the screw behind the switch panel. Both should use a 7mm socket.

(Go ahead and twist and push through the light also)

And disconnect the 4 plugs on the back of the switch panel and set panel aside.

Step 4.

Lift on door handle and pull out to remove door panel.

Step 5.

After door panel is removed you will see the "water guard"

(This is just stuck on with a light adhesive) Go ahead and pull this off.

Step 6.

Use your 5.5mm socket to remove the four speaker screws and set speaker aside.

Step 7.

Disconnect wire from back of motor.

Step 8.

Unscrew the 3 Gold Colored window motor bolts. (IMPORTANT: Support motor when removing screws.)

IMPORTANT: DO NOT REMOVE THE 4 GRAY BOLTS!!!

Step 9.

Remove motor through speaker hole.

Step 10.

Install new motor. Reconnect the power plug. and re-assemble everything.

Note: While you are in there Grease ALL the tracks. I like to use this stuff:

IMPORTANT: Before you re-assemble your door panel connect the switch panel and make sure it all works. It is a good idea to have a friend hold up the window when you first take the tape off (just in case).

Last edited by Stewart_H; 12-11-2012 at 01:27 AM. Reason: To fix picture links
Old 12-31-2009, 09:55 AM
Elder User

RMBC Freeride has a good reputation on FTE.RMBC Freeride has a good reputation on FTE.
Nice writeup, thanks! My front windows are moving sloooooooow... think im due to replace soon. Reps comin'
2002 Excursion LTD-Ultimate 4WD 7.3 PSD (major project, here): 35" Dura-Grapplers, Regeared to 4.10's, V-codes+2.5" leveling kit front, C-code+extra leaf rear, 4" Magnaflow turbo-back, EBPV delete, 1.0AR Exh. Housing, Bellowed up-pipes, DIY 6637+Petes cover, Wicked Wheel, Banks 6.0 Intercooler, 6.0 Trans Cooler, RiffRaff HPx, AIH & FRx, PHP Tunes, T500 HPOP
Old 12-31-2009, 10:35 AM
Master of Strokes

weekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud of
Good post Nolan!
Nick PAA#9
08 F-450 KR 6.4 Elite Race Trans, Elite 71mm turbo/ 59mm VGT, ARP, RDP I/C Boots, 5.5 Icon lift, 22.5 AF wheels, OUO traction bars, Alradco Radiator
04 X 6.0 Barter Stage 3 68mm vgt, 190/75's, T-500, Alradco I/C, 05 axle with 4 link and King Coilovers
01 X 7.3 38R, 238/80's, RDP I/C boots, Full fuel system, ARP studs, Comp 910's, T-500
Old 12-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Elder User

dvldog458 has a good reputation on FTE.dvldog458 has a good reputation on FTE.dvldog458 has a good reputation on FTE.
Outstanding!
My drivers window motor is on its way out...good to know what I'm getting into. Thx
2004 Excursion Limited 4x4 w/ 6.0L SCT X3 (Elite Diesel) A-1 H-11 head studs, EGR Delete kit, 8" BDS and 2.5" shackle lift w/ 40" Nitto Mud Grapplers, MBRP 409 Turbo back, Dieselsite Coolant filter kit, NJ Chapter
SEMPER FI
Old 12-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Post Fiend

4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of4inchlovin has much to be proud of
Thanks for the reps...

All and all it was super easy to do. Make sure you put some lube on the "felts" down in the door also. Not going to hurt anything but will insure no chatter or binding...
Old 06-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Elder User

njstevens is starting off with a positive reputation.
any good hits on where to get a new motor? need one for passenger side door.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Post Fiend

www.partsguyed.com

Ed can get it to ya in a hurry! and for a good price... and its

"OEM BABY!!!!"
Old 06-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Elder User

njstevens is starting off with a positive reputation.
Got lucky. Got some lube and greaedd the runners and wheel up reall good and they are flying now. Saved me some bucks but thatnks for the info for the future for if /when i do need a new motor.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Post Fiend

COOL! Alot of times with slow windows all they need is some lube...

My motor was freezing up....

Which brings me to a good side note.

If your window is stuck, turn on your dome light and push the window button. Look to see if the light dims when you push the button. If so your motor is stuck from getting dirt in it probably. Hold the button down and hit the door panel just below the arm rest on the flat part. This SHOULD un-freez the motor. And get you another few uses out of your window before freezing again. I went on like this for atleast 2 months. LOL
Old 02-07-2011, 05:53 AM
Freshman User

3fingervic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great pics. Very helpful. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Freshman User

dlaude6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What are these tracks and runners you're talking about greasing up? My front windows are VERY slow and will try just greasing them up before I pull the trigger on some new motors.

This thread also taught me how to remove the doors (had to do for a different issue), two for one with this thread! Thanks! (yes I know it is an old thread, but it is better than me asking a question and having someone just link me to this thread, right?)
Old 05-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Posting Guru

wallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud of
dlaude6;

The window felts or runners that the glass slides in. One on each side, and also put some grease, lube down where the arms attach to the bottom of the glass.

You will want to use a silicone type spray in the tracks. Worse case use wd-40. You don't want a build up in there with dust on a greasy spray or you make the issue come back faster.
You can cheat and just roll window down all the way and spray down the sides with the straw an up the top. Run window up and down a few times to lube. Try this way first before going thru the motion of opening panel.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Post Fiend

Looks like wallz has got ya covered. Thanks!

Also the reason we have a search function on this forum is so that people can find old threads and use them. So never hesitate to revive an old thread
Old 05-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Junior User

markland is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yep easy to do, just don't remove the grey screws like I did the 1st time I tried, was a mother trying to get the frame and bolt holes realigned again, very easy to do and painless, however in my situation my problem was in the loom coming from the door post and had 2 cut wires, but guess there was just enough connection left to get a reading on my test light but not enough to operate the window so I got a new motor but had to fix the wires to make it work!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Freshman User

dlaude6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
dlaude6;

The window felts or runners that the glass slides in. One on each side, and also put some grease, lube down where the arms attach to the bottom of the glass.

You will want to use a silicone type spray in the tracks. Worse case use wd-40. You don't want a build up in there with dust on a greasy spray or you make the issue come back faster.
You can cheat and just roll window down all the way and spray down the sides with the straw an up the top. Run window up and down a few times to lube. Try this way first before going thru the motion of opening panel.
Ah, yeah that's a good idea. I'll lower it, spray the heck out of it with wd-40 inside where the windows at, and roll it up and down a bunch of times. Is the motor protected from this area or should I aim away from it? haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4inchlovin View Post
Looks like wallz has got ya covered. Thanks!

Also the reason we have a search function on this forum is so that people can find old threads and use them. So never hesitate to revive an old thread
The search function is key!

I'll update to let you know how this goes, but I have a funny feeling that I'll need new motors (call it "my luck" haha).
Old 05-05-2011, 11:06 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
2001, back, connect, door, excursion, f150, f250, ford, install, motor, panel, power, remove, replace, replacing, truck, window