General Automotive Discussion

Alternator that looks like a Generator - Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by rebocardo
The LED bulbs now are pretty bright, probably more so then the filament bulbs, though they run much cooler and draw less amps. Plus, they have the electronics built into the bulb now. I do not recognise 1/2 those numbers, I think they have been superceded by newer numbers. If I had to guess what the real changes were, it would be the newer ones have the locking tabs AND are brighter then the older numbers. Which is why I think sometimes older plastic lens melt when you use the newer bulbs.

Ebay search with "led bulb 1034" came back with 134 hits, such as

1157 Blue 31 LED Light Bulb Turn Signal 2357 1034 7528:eBay Motors (item 120511132751 end time Jan-03-10 23:00:00 PST)
Thinking about it I might be able to get away with LED bulbs on the front. The front turn signals are clear lens. The back how ever I can buy LED lens for the 56 that has the LED`s built into the lens (they dont look orignal though they look alittle different) but they are connected to the stock socket by a bulb socket with wires.

This is the purpose built LED lens. It doesnt look bad but all those small recessed LED`s visable would take away from the orignal look

As compared in this photo of a oem reproduction lens

But what I can do is look on ebay for some LED bulbs and I can try some clear LED bulbs (the ones I used on my 63 were red LED sockets like you posted on ebay above behind a red lens. That might have been win it was dimmer. I associated it with the LED emitting the light straight into the lens and the traditional bulb had the light reflected forwards by the chrome housing). I could try the clear LED bulbs in the turn signals up front and the back up lamps out back. Being clear lenses they shouldnt be effected as badly but would reduced the amperage consumption. Could also try them on the back as well behind the red lens.

Since the 56 isnt really in a condition to be tested I will get some white LED bulbs and try them out on my 78 and see if they appear the same brightness behind the red lens. Hopefully they dont do a spotlight effect during the daylight.

I was checking out Ebay and I came across this. The photo they show tells me this provides way more light than the ones I had tried. The lens with the brake light or flashers on was about as bright as the stock bulb as a parking light. This one here looks like it would be brighter than the stock bulb when flashing, just being on. Only problem is if I use all these super bright bulbs the oem non halogen bulb headlight might be dim and look out of place. Guess I can cross that bridge when I come to it, but it appears the Xenon white LED bulbs are the ones I should be looking at not red colored LED`s.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon...Q5fAccessories

~Update~

That is what it was. Here is a Yellow LED bulb and it is considerably dimmer than the Xenon White. I guess the colored bulbs were ment to be used behind clear lenses and white behind colored.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1157-...Q5fAccessories

Old 01-03-2010, 03:35 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
> Hopefully they dont do a spotlight effect during the daylight.

Probably not, I think the newer ones are dot approved (older ones are not) now because they have two layers, one to the side and one straight back. If you compare the amp draw in a catalog, color ones draw about 100 mil-amps less then the white ones.

I do not think there were any DOT standards back in 1956, so I would not be too concerned about that :-)

Computer guys (www.computerguys.com) sell ones for your house if you get into the LED thing. As mentioned before, Wast Marine sells LED replacement bulbs too.

The reason for keep mentioning the West Marine catalog is the LED Festoon is the type used in the older dome lamps (I do not know the #) and the LED Wedge Bayonet is a 194 type replacement.

They are usually local and you can go down and just buy just one to see how it does.

West Marine: LED Replacement Bulbs Product Display

Did you contact that guy with the $10 generator?

Old 01-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm.... hmmmm....

220 watts @ 12 volts....

18.33 amperes
Could be within it's abilities, but why in hell would you want to put a radio that current in a thing that you sweat the load so much about keeping stock?

YOU need to pick a direction...
(He observezzz)

My one potentially helpful idea here is that ambulances and emergency vehicles of the same year had higher-powered generators that could deliver more amperes. One of those might do the job and still be strictly a generator. Consider military vehicle generators as well

Old 01-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Greywolf
Hmmm.... hmmmm....

220 watts @ 12 volts....

18.33 amperes
Could be within it's abilities, but why in hell would you want to put a radio that current in a thing that you sweat the load so much about keeping stock?

YOU need to pick a direction...
(He observezzz)

My one potentially helpful idea here is that ambulances and emergency vehicles of the same year had higher-powered generators that could deliver more amperes. One of those might do the job and still be strictly a generator. Consider military vehicle generators as well

Well I wouldnt be changing the radio out it would still be the orignal factory installed radio. Just the internal guts would have been replaced with modern AM/FM receivers but everything works just like the orignal. I probably wont do it though I would like to since I dont personally know of any Am radio stations that plays music other than the mexican restraunt style music.

The reduction in amp draw is something I would prefer to do how ever. I found alot of LED bulbs that has a spot light (directional) panel and then led`s situated around the sides to shine on the reflectors. Considering on ebay I seen them listed as 3 miliamps if I convert all my bulbs including the dome light and the instrument lights to that I shouldnt have a issue with dimming headlights. I might even be able to run halogen bulbs without dimming.

Only thing is I have to track down a site that sells the bulbs I found on ebay. I would like to keep the same style bulb and the same number of LED`s for all the bulbs I use for external use.

About contacting the guy with the generator, I havent had the chance I been working with the guy selling reproduction inspection stickers and helped him out with making a reproduction 55-59 Ford "texas built" decals.

For instance the 1156 LED bulb I found that I think would work great in the backup housing (that is if it fits. I dont know if the LED bulbs are too long to fit) with 63 Super White LED`s. Looking for a 1157 LED bulb I found the same style with 63 Super White LED`s. Only problem is theres only one of each listed on Ebay that I found and their being auctioned off. To be honest I would like to find a place that sells this same exact bulb and the other numbers I need where I can just simply buy the bulbs. Id hate to get into a bidding war for a bulb.

Too bad I wont be able to check up on the car till next sunday. But I know a stock 1157 Bulb is roughly 48mm in length total. The 63 LED bulb I am looking at is 63mm total length. I dont know if it would fit in the tail lamp housing or turn signal housings. Might have to go to the 32-36 LED bulb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1157-...Q5fAccessories

I did the bulb conversion from the old numbers using the crossreference chart listed on that Ebay page and they are as follows.

Backup - 1156
Turnsignal/Brake - 1157
Dome/License Plate/Map Courtesy/Transmission Indicator Selector/Luggage Compartment - 67-G18
Instrument Panel - Ba9s-1895

But I will check out the link you supplied from West Marine and see if they have any of the style I have posted above from ebay.

~Update~

I desided to pull the lens off my 63 and measure from the inside of the housing from where the bulb socket snaps into the tail light housing to the inside of the lens when the lens is installed. I came up with 50.01mm. The 1157 63 LED Bulb is 63mm length overall but that is including the connection barb. Just the LED housing itself is 38mm in length. So I should be able to fit this bulb in my 63 but I dont know about my 56 though. I assume it would be the same but the socket is made into the reflector base housing and is on the inside of the lens so I need 63mm between the bottom of the lens housing to the lens itself.

Last edited by Rusty_S; 01-03-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: ~Update~
Old 01-04-2010, 09:26 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Without air conditioning and a "boom boom" stereo, a 30A generator is adequate. Some of them are "low cut in" meaning that they charge at relatively low rpm. The 30A one in my old VW's have never let me down. In my experience they last at least 50-60,000 miles between overhauls, and that is just new bushings or bearings, brushes and a commutator cleanup.

Jim