Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:50 PM
davekoob
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance Suggestions/ Bought a 'new' used truck

Good Evening guys,

(repost from my post at another forum)

I just purchased an 02 XL 4.2L and I'm looking to kinda go over it with a fine tooth comb. Upgrading from a 99 Ranger V6 4.0L. As far as vehicle experience goes, I'd rate myself at about a 5 or 6 (on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being 'Can put gas in it' to 10 being 'complete teardown and rebuild'). I'm comfortable with changing brakes, rotors, alternator, light electrical work, plugs, filters, etc. Anything involving the removal of 20 or more screws/ bolts/ fasteners I typically leave to my mechanic.

The previous owner of this truck had the oil changed religiously at 3000 - 5000 miles. (every stinking receipt is in the glove box). I've got a very detailed report of all the maintenance done on this truck as it was a fleet truck and went through GM Fleet Care.

What seems to be missing from all of this maintenance is some of the regular stuff like plugs and coolant and tranny flushes etc.

The truck has 213,000 miles on it and I'd like to know where I should start for 'tuning' this up to get the best mileage out of it.

Here's what I'm looking at so far:

New Plugs:
Bosch Platinum IR 4509 Plugs:
Amazon
Amazon

New Wires:
Bosch 09459 Plug Wire Set:
Amazon
Amazon

New Serpentine Belt:
Gates K061031 Belt:
Amazon
Amazon

New Headlight Bulbs:
Sylvania 9007SU BP SilverStar Ultra High Performance Halogen Headlight - Pack of 2
Amazon
Amazon
I know the headlights will not add any sort of performance improvement, but I GOTTTTTA brighten up the front of this thing!!!

Air Filter/ Cold Air Intake
K&N 57-2550 FIPK Air Intake 97-04 V6 4.2L
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-F...Q5fAccessories

Any Recommendations on fluids I should be putting in this thing?

I'm thinking a few rounds of high mileage formulated oil with K&N Oil Filters (unless there's a better option???)

This will be a daily driver and I'm looking for mileage (mpg) gains. Currently I'm at a stock setup, but definitely looking to consider an exhaust overhaul, and possibly a tuner purchase (which is a whole 'nother confusion!!!!!!)

Lets get the 'easy' stuff out of the way first!!!

Thanks for all of your help!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:33 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have a lot of answers for you, free flowing intake and exhaust always help, the high mileage oils only have seal swell and higher detergent, not really that much of a help. If things were taken care of in the oil dept, I wouldn't mess much with that. You should stick with the plat plugs, Bosch seem to do ok, don't hear a lot of complaints for the most part. Belts are just something that has to be done every so often. Gates generally still seem to be ok, not so impressed with their hoses as of late. Might want to check those as well...

BTW, if you should head up to the Autozone there in town (I know, it is all the way across town...) Say Hi to Manuel (the manager) for me, he trained with us down to Cedar Rapids. Roger

Also, you may find more info in the tech forums...

Old 01-01-2010, 11:16 PM
yamaweezle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definately start with a fuel filter change...