1943 G8T

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Fighter-of-Wars
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1943 G8T

Well, I finally decided to give up on my 1947 1 ton project, the body was just too far gone for me. So, this one was for sale close, it ran, was unique, and was in pretty good shape, had a title, plus it runs and was under a grand. So we went, loaded it up and brought it home, we pull started it cause the battery was dead, all the gauges worked, the dash lights tried to work, and heck even one tail light worked. I drove it around for awhile and then started taking it apart, going to try and leave it stock an use it around on the farm for stuff.

Its a 1943 ford G8T or 1.5 Ton truck. It has the 226 Flathead 6 with the 4speed trans. It is an old military truck, and has many unique and cool parts used only on the military Fords, and not the civilian ones. Like the slide out windshield, tow hooks, headlight guards, Round gauges, info plates riveted to dash with information, and 6 lug wheels. I also noticed it had rear shock absorbers on it, which wern't on my 1 ton, I don't know if these were on the civilian 1.5 tons are not. Well here is a vid and some pics.

YouTube - 1943 Ford G8T

Old 12-27-2009, 10:13 PM
soule46
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks like a good one to start with. Some neat history as well.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:34 AM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks like it's in great shape. Also notice on the G8T that the parking lights holes are not stamped, and the hood does not have the FO RD whiskers on the sides of the hood latch release or hood spears. I have the front sheetmetal from one of these trucks in my shop, you don't come across these trucks very often.

That's a great video you made of it, looks like just about everything works like it should. What are your plans with it? Leave it stock? Modify?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:45 AM
Fighter-of-Wars
Senior User
I plan on leaving it somewhat stock. I might put my hood off of my other truck that has the FORD whiskers and the spear and FORD stamped on the side on this truck so people will know what it is. I was going to put a different engine, trans, and rear axle in it but the Flathead 6 is in too good of shape to do that.

So I'm going to fix all the mechanicals, body, and electrical and put a wooden flatbed on it and use it to haul some stuff around on the farm. And drive in a few parades.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Dadstoy
Freshman User
I did not know those windshields fliped out like that. That would be a neat addition to install on my pickup. But the wiper motor would have to be moved to the top of the windshield.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Fighter-of-Wars
Senior User
4 months later and I have gotten a lot done.

Fixed cab corners.
Patched up the floor and strengthened it.
Installed gas tank.
Changed all fluids.
New seals on both axles.
New brake shoes on all 4 wheels.
Rebuilt Front wheel cylinders.
New Rear wheel cylinders.
All new brake lines.
Rebuilt master cylinder.
New plugs and wires
Rebuilt carb
Rebuilt Water pump.
Radiator fixed and new hoses
Rebuilt Generator
New regulator
oiled the speedometer
Greased the front end and u-joints
Fixed the horn
repacked wheel bearings
Fixed the headlights and have both high beam and low.
Fixed Dash lights
Put exhaust system on it which I scavenged off a old bus out back.
I have installed new turn signal lights on the front.
Fixed the wipers on it. All I need now are the blades.

A few neat things I have noticed on this truck compared to my tonner. Everything on this truck was painted OD green. I mean everything, every little screw, nut, part, spring has traces of that color on it. I never noticed this on my tonner. The screws that held the lights in were longer on this truck but the part that held the bulb in was steel instead of polished aluminum. The brake lines going to the front wheels were routed through the frame instead of a bracket that mounted to the frame that put the lines over the frame. The bumper is thicker and the brackets holding it are heavier. The horn is mounted on the passenger side on the six cylinder where on the 8 its on the driver side and the steering is set up differently on the six.

I also fixed the Pintle hitch on the back and used it to pull around a big air compressor we had. (Worthington compressor with a 855 cummins+air and fuel tanks) It wasn't light but the truck pulled it around no problem.

All I need now to have it road worthy is a setup for turn signals and a Pinion seal.

I have the lights on each front fender and the 2 lights in the back which I still have to get. They should be dual filament yes? And what turn signal switch should I get and how do I hook it up?

And for the pinion seal how do I go about taking it our and installing it. There is a nut on the pinion U-joint flange and a ring of bolts on the axle around the pinion, is there anything else I need to replace while I have it apart.
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:25 PM
44farmtruck
New User
You have a neat truck. I would like to see some more pics after all the work you have done. On the pinion seal, the nut on the U-joint has a key through it and then it comes off. Use a gear-puller if need be on the U-joint. Then remove all the bolts on the flange that is around the pinion, and then the flange and pinion seal will come off next. On my truck it appeared there was no gasket between the flange and the rear-end housing. However, I would recommend applying some gasket-maker when you reassemble, to help stop any oil leaks around the flange. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Fighter-of-Wars
Senior User
Thanks very much for the info on how to do the pinion seal.

The truck doesn't look much different compared to what it did look like, but it runs so much better and I feel safer driving it around. Might make another driving video before I do the work on the pinion seal.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Fighter-of-Wars
Senior User
Another update, but still no vids or pics uploaded. Maybe soon.

I decided to get rid of all old wiring which I should of done in the first place. So we put all new wiring in, changed the light switch from the multi-index stock switch to two toggle switches instead. One for headlights and one for running lights. And the cab marker lights are also on their own circuit. Also got turn signals front and rear wired up and they work as well as the brake lights+license plate light but NAPA gave me a 12 volt flasher instead of a 6 volt so I have to get that and I will have fully functioning turn, stop and headlights. Also replaced the old high/low beam switch.

I talked to the local sawmill and put in an order for my boards.

2 4x6's 11 feet long
6 4x4's 8 feet long

And we have boards for the decking so it won't be long.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:56 AM
46pickup
New User
Another G8T on another site

Nice truck.
Take a look at The garage journal board>the garage>free parkings>barn find: '43 G8T 1.5 ton

I thought at first I was looking at the same truck. I've had a military cab put away for several years to use on a '47 dump truck, up until now I had no information about these military versions, now two show up. Have you located any information source about these trucks? I am missing the window and would like to find one.

-Bert

Old 05-14-2010, 04:57 PM
0ldV8truck
Junior User
neat truck you have done heaps , i only potter around with mine . took me 12 months to grind the valves, lol We all eagerly await new video/photos

Old 05-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Fighter-of-Wars
Senior User
46pickup- The only information that I have gathered is through searching on the internet. The most I learned though is working on it myself and finding many different components, and parts compared to my civilian truck.

OldV8truck-Thanks, its a fun truck to have. I have been busy and not had time to upload video yet. Will try to today.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Fighter-of-Wars
Senior User
Here is the video of me driving. I do grind the gears but it takes practice to get shifting the transmission to where its perfect, I am getting better though.

I also got the wood for the bed also and the front wheel bearings are now shot because I didn't tighten them up correctly so no more driving for awhile till I get those replaced. But here you go.

YouTube - 1943 Ford Driving.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:26 PM
0ldV8truck
Junior User
Your goin good

Keep working on it and you will get it sorted, I was 14 when i got my "47" everyone said i was mad , but i got there, And im so happy that i did it up, What colour do you plan on painting it? what size are the tires? have you ever driven a v8 one? how does the 6 compare? I think the bigger trucks are really neat a lot of people forgot about them,Good work on your video as well ive posted some photos in my gallery/album if you want to have a look
Cheers David

Old 05-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Fighter-of-Wars
Senior User
I had planned on painting it a darker green, much like the one in your photos. I have never driven a V8 one but I think that the 6 has got pretty good low end power. I was able to pull a big old air compressor around we had that had flat tires and weighed prolly around 2000 pounds with no problem. Barely felt like it was back there. Of course I was only putting around the driveway in second gear but I didn't have to put my foot on the gas when I first took off in first gear with it.

After I get the truck done I will get some good vids of loading it and pulling stuff with it which I really want to do.

Quick Reply: 1943 G8T