1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Flathead header worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:43 AM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flathead header worth it?

Folks, I have a 52 F1 with a stock v8 flathead. I'm trying to make somewhat of a daily driver out of it. I need a full exhaust. My manifolds are in good shape. I thought about just making a custom exhaust using the manifolds , for a cheap dual exhaust option. I have some cash on hand I obviously cold use the money elsewhere on the truck. However I do need exhaust to get it inspected. I see Reds headers has a full exhaust system for $400 or so, that's not a bad deal. I figure I'd have about $100-$200 in my homemade job.

I guess my questions is, are headers worth the time trouble and money involved for a basically stock flathead? This is no show truck, just a driver. hate the thought of snapping off a manifold bolt. I've had headers on vehicles before, very few were worth the trouble I had with them, leaks, heat, rusting etc... on the other side I don;t want to toss out performance I could gain with headers or money I'd be waisting replacing my manifolds down the road..

thoughts/input?

bob

Old 12-27-2009, 10:54 AM
52 F3
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It just depends on what you want and what you are willing to deal with.

I personally have no use for headers on anything except a race car unless it is to fit an engine into something that manifolds just won't work on.
Everything about headers is a pain and not worth it on a driver.

Extra heat in the engine compartment.
Starter and other items hard to get to.
Plug wire problems.
Exhaust leaks to deal with.
Clearance issues.

Just my opinion. YMMV
Richard

Last edited by 52 F3; 12-27-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-27-2009, 04:26 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
I've run Red's nickle plated tube headers on my 48 for the past 10 years - same headers on a daily driver. I've had none of the issues Richard listed... 'course I don't have high temperature issues in Montana.

The headers that Red's sell actually FIT the F1-F6 series trucks and are made specifically for them.

That said, there are minimal hp advantages to running headers on a stock engine. If you have good manifolds use them. Mine were cracked and the engine was out of the truck on the floor making replacement easy.

In your situation, I'd spend the money on something else. Just my dos pesos.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If you have a good exhaust manifold, I'd use it and save the money for something else...If it's not broke.....

Old 12-27-2009, 06:22 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Ditto MT's comments. I bought them because they sound nice!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:32 AM
chappys4life
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I am not 100% if they are reds but I have some headers on my flathead and love them. I have super simple exhaust. Its headers to 2" pipes into glass packs that dump out right before the rear axle. Nothing fancy but sounds great and it was on there before I got it. Daily driven since march.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:08 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
I have dual exhaust using stock manifolds on my '48 panels without a problem. The set up was on the chassis when I bought it. Since the chassis was a pickup chassis I had to reroute the exhaust around my gas tank. I haven't noticed any problems and they sound nice, the glass packs are finally starting to burn out.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:37 PM
JimBollman
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a topic I'm also interested in for my new 1950 F1 Stake. It has the stock single exhaust now, but I want dual exhaust. I have looked for a supplier of pipes for the stock manifolds but so far have not found any. Is custom pipes the only answer?

Old 12-28-2009, 02:22 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
Originally Posted by JimBollman
This is a topic I'm also interested in for my new 1950 F1 Stake. It has the stock single exhaust now, but I want dual exhaust. I have looked for a supplier of pipes for the stock manifolds but so far have not found any. Is custom pipes the only answer?

I think so. I thought I knew of at least one supplier. I see Mac's has parts for an original (tail, crossover)

My exhaust needs 2 repairs , I may just fix that and go, or If I cannot get something else, I may have to run the Reds. Mostly for cost, and just sell the manifolds.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:25 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Unless I was going gennie, I'd never consider stock exhaust manifolds. Yes, the exhaust manifold is just a single component of the entire breathing system but manifolds of that era were mostly about clearance and cost, not efficiency.

A good flowing exhaust with a bump or two of the jetting is almost always a good thing

Just my .02

Old 01-18-2010, 06:39 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
I thought I update this. I did end up going with Reds headers. I did not buy the complete kit, mostly because the shipping was $100! I bought their headers and extensions along with a set of 26" smithy's I gave them a quick coat of heat paint and installed them tonight. Instead of full tailpipes I plan to run 90's off the muffler and excite right in front of the rear tires. If I hate it I can alway's order the tailpipes... I originally planned to just use the manifolds but after looking at a custom exhaust or making my own I thought this was the better option.

My manifolds are in excellent shape and all the bolts came off except one. I spent a good amount of time after I twisted off the head. I had several attempts of welding on a nut with no success at first. I finally bumped up the wire to .35 and the bolt got cherry red and finally came loose...

I do like the Reds headers and extensions. They fit well. My only issue would be they fit real loose and you need to crank on the pipes to get them to seal. Only an problem is you want to tear down the system.

getting close

Old 01-18-2010, 06:56 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
You won't be disappointed! That's exactly the system I have, except for the side dumps (I'm going to get tailpipes soon).

I agree about the loose fit; I'm thinking of having the muffler shop put flanges at the joints (so they'd both slip on and bolt together), because I hate how muffler clamps crush the ends.