Sponsored by: DP Tuner

#35 instrument cluster fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:11 AM
King0581
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
#35 instrument cluster fuse keeps blowing

My 03 f250 keeps blowing it. It also controls the windows, dome light, radio. I can't find what's causing it to blow. Has anybody else had this problem? I'm about to throw a match under this thing and watch it burn, after the week U've had!

Old 12-26-2009, 05:55 PM
King0581
Posting Guru
Update: I havent thrown a match on it yet. I did put a 25amp fuse in it and it burnt up something in the fuse box itself without smoking whatever was the original cause. When it first started blowing the fuses I had a smell from the fusebox so maybe that is my problem to begin with. I'm just waiting on Ed to get back with me on a new fuse box. I hope that dont cost a arm and leg. The truck still runs and I have the edge for the gauges so unless I run out of fuel I'm gonna drive it. I have a extinguisher under the seat and a bottle in the back incase I would just assume watch it burn. Will update later.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:58 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
You're replacing the entire fuse box for a burned wire? Have you considered taking it apart and replacing the wire?

You are approaching your problem with a bias that seems to favor fire and destruction.

Don't think I want to be a part of this one.

Pop

Old 12-26-2009, 07:13 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Lee- What was original fuse size or what size fuse is it supposed to be in owners manual?

Old 12-26-2009, 07:13 PM
RussB
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it raining or very wet where you are at ????????? Thats the only thing that made a difference when mine was blowing.. although I have been in alot of wetness since and it hasn't gone on me ! You'll find it.. be patient and keep looking ! I'll trade you problems if you'd like !

Old 12-26-2009, 09:53 PM
King0581
Posting Guru
Bill, the #35 fuse is suppose to have a 10 amp fuse in it.
Russ, we had 18" of snow last weekend and a lot of rain yesterday.
Pop, I know it burnt something in the fuse box itself because I dont get any connection through threw the box. I see the back cover comes off the fuse panel once you get it out of the truck but dont see how it comes apart any farther than that to replace anything in it. I know the back has to come off but it seems like its got glue in it where the printed circuit is.
I know theres something amuck in the fuse panel itself now because it no longer blows the fuse and none of the gauges are working along with the radio, windows, doom light.
I guess once I get the fuse panel problem fixed, I will have to check the wires going to the interior light. I've read about people having problems there. I also read about the GEM but I also read that my '03 doesnt have one. So I dont know. Any suggestions?

Old 12-26-2009, 11:01 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Sounds like the wire that was partially burnt probly burned all the way thru. Be careful oversizing the fuse so you dont burn up the wire's, going to gauges- Good Luck

Old 12-27-2009, 07:39 AM
King0581
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by guitarpicr
Sounds like the wire that was partially burnt probly burned all the way thru. Be careful oversizing the fuse so you dont burn up the wire's, going to gauges- Good Luck
I pulled the panel out and can make a connection between the prong on the back for the power coming into the hot leg of the #35 fuse but cant find power going out any where. So that leads me to beleive something is burnt inside the fuse panel itself. You can take the back cover off the fuse panel but its like its got glue holding the actual back on where the printed circuit stuff is(if that makes since to you). I'm going to price a new one then see if I can get the back off of mine to see whats up in there. I'll replace that then check al grounds on the truck(that'll take awhile) Also gonna check my GEM or BCM whatever its called for my model. Still open to more suggestions.....

Old 12-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Mark250
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
After you get your fuse panel fixed, I would diagnose by unplugging one component at a time that is on that fuse circuit until the fuse quits blowing, then at least you know where to concentrate your search. I have seen wires smashed under factory fasteners before, shorting to ground. I would also caution against oversizing the fuse - if there's a short, something has to go & you don't want it to be wiring.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:34 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Lee- You could always bypass the fuse block & just install an inline fuse in that circuit,at least temporaily ,Just make sure u have the right amperage fuse. Also might check and see if radio shack or auto parts store has a re-set type fuse (10 amp) for testing so u don't keep blowing fuses.These have a manual reset button on them. .Great for finding short circuits.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:47 PM
King0581
Posting Guru
Thanks guys. The truck still runs fine and everything else is working so I'm still driving it. I need a wiring diagram for it to know exactly where the wires go. Anybody know where to find one? I feel sure that the wires go to the GEM/BCM (what ever you call it on our models)

Old 12-28-2009, 10:21 AM
King0581
Posting Guru
I did take it by a buddies shop this morning. He called and got me his price on the fuse panel. While talking to the guy at the stealership, the guy told him they have sold 8 new fuse panels in the last couple months for these trucks. Didnt like the sound of that.....
It'll be here in a couple days so we'll see whats up when I get that in.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't sold to many of the fuse blocks, so it might be a regional thing.

I sent you the part number so you can price the fuse block.

ed

Old 12-28-2009, 09:12 PM
King0581
Posting Guru
Thanks Ed.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:06 PM
King0581
Posting Guru
Got the new fuse panel in tonight. The truck will do fine if you are in it and put a new fuse in the #35 spot with the doors closed. It does fine until you cut the switch off and it tries to throw juice to the doom light. I have narrowed it down to something under the drivers seat blowing the fuse. If you get in and move around it will blow the fuse. gonna pull the seats out in the morning and hopefully find a cut wire. At least the new fuse panel came with all fuses and relays. I hope to get this taken care of in the morning and go look at houses. Between this and totaling my other truck in the last couple weeks, on top of the holidays, it reminds me why I drink.....

Quick Reply: #35 instrument cluster fuse keeps blowing