Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2009, 12:03 AM
New User

Lacy's Her Name is starting off with a positive reputation.
Speedometer out, Check engine light on, Overdrive column switch blinking!!!!

2000 SD250 w/5.4l v8

So I just drove from 29 Palms, Ca to Indianapolis (Carmel), IN. A couple days after I get here in the cold, troubles start. My speedometer isn't working, my check engine light is on, and my column gear selector overdrive switch OFF light is blinking. All cab fuses were checked and I briefly looked at the fuses under the hood, to no avail. My truck is driving fine for the few miles I put on it. It's acting ok????? Any ideas????
Old 12-26-2009, 12:20 AM
Postmaster

Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.
VSS on the rear diff, would be my first choice of a place to start...

try unplugging and cleaning the contacts.. but it is prolly done for and needs replacing...

code reader should help verify thou...

"list of previous owned Fords much to long to list here.."
Old 12-26-2009, 12:22 AM
New User

Will that cause the Overdrive switch to blink and would the check engine light to come on?
Old 12-26-2009, 12:26 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Yes, it will.

The VSS output is fed to many different systems on your truck, like the speedometer, the engine PCM, the ABS and the transmission controller. Each of these systems use the vehicle speed as part of the process to determine what needs to be done at any given moment.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 12-26-2009, 12:32 AM
New User

How much are VSS and can they be bought at Autozone?

Semper Fi
Old 12-26-2009, 12:43 AM
New User

Just another question? The VSS is on the side of the transmission and the ABS sensor is on the top of the rear diff? Is all this correct?
Old 11-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Junior User

TX03EX is starting off with a positive reputation.
od light flashing, check engine light on, no speedo, drives and shifts fine.

I have the same issue. Replaced VSS with a factory Motorcraft Unit. Nothing changed. Truck drives fine. Code shows the abs module isnt talking to the PCM? or something like that...ideas?
Old 11-10-2012, 03:13 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2001, blinking, check, engine, f150, f250, f350, flashing, ford, light, overdrive, selector, superduty, switch, truck