6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

WHAT IS YOUR STRATEGY CODE AFTER NOVEMBER 09 FLASH?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 10:48 AM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT IS YOUR STRATEGY CODE AFTER NOVEMBER 09 FLASH?

Just checking in with you guys who have the ability to check your strategy code. Can you tell me what yours is Now after the most recent Ford flash November 2009 TSB 09-24-3 ? Thanks...just seeing if it is different than mine and I want to check with the tune writers to see if they are writing tunes to the new strategy codes. I like the sound of some of the new features implemented in the new flash and wouldn't mind getting it...only problem is that SCT hasn't written canned tunes that support this new flash, so I want to see if the folks at IDP, etc..have already got it covered. A couple of the benefits I'm looking at specifically are for the '05 MY

* Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.

* Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking.

* FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM vehicle power (VPWR) parameter identifier (PIDS) is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.

* Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.
2006-2007 F-Super Duty 6.0L:

* False DTC P0404 - EGR performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.

* Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high EOT conditions or high ECT are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.

* Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.

* FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM VPWR PIDS is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.

* Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.

6.0L: Check For DTCs And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:27 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Silly Question:

I checked and my flash was on October 30, 2009.

Would it have this version?

Old 12-25-2009, 11:45 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Here is the whole TSB"

TSB 09-24-3 6.0L DIESEL CALIBRATION UPDATE - VARIOUS ISSUES

Publication Date: November 20, 2009

FORD: 2003-2005 Excursion
2003-2007 F-Super Duty
2004-2010 E-Series

This article supersedes TSB 9-7-11 to update the model years covered and Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) calibration level.

ISSUE:
Some 2003-2007 F-Super Duty vehicles, 2003-2005 Excursions and 2004-2010 E-Series vehicles, equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine may exhibit hard start, no start, white smoke, lack of power, running rough condition after cold engine start up, or diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0404, P0470, P0611, P1260 and/or P1378 issues. Refer to the Calibration Content for information detailing specific vehicle content by vehicle application and model year that is being addressed by this calibration update.

This article includes previously released calibration content that improves injector performance in cold engine operation and additional diagnostic capabilities and product protection strategy enhancements. These enhancements provide additional diagnostic capabilities, adds additional new DTCs and engine protection strategies. Refer to the Calibration Content for additional details. See the appropriate Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnostic (PC/ED) manual for technical descriptions and diagnostic routines associated with new DTCs.

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) using IDS release 63.13 and higher or 64.01 and higher. The transmission control module (TCM) and fuel injector control module (FICM) , will automatically update if they are not at the latest calibration level. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2009.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at MOTORCRAFT PARTS FOR FORD, LINCOLN OR MERCURY VEHICLES.

CALIBRATION CONTENT

Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 418-01.

The PCM and FICM calibration update contains improvement actions to address the following symptoms:

2005 F-Super Duty 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 - Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 - Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high engine oil temperature (EOT) conditions or high engine coolant temperature (ECT) are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM vehicle power (VPWR) parameter identifier (PIDS) is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.
2006-2007 F-Super Duty 6.0L:

False DTC P0404 - EGR performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high EOT conditions or high ECT are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
Oil cooler efficiency monitor - DTC P012F stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM VPWR PIDS is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger over boost detection - DTC P0234 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when a turbocharger over boost condition occurs.
2005-2007 And 2009-2010 E-Series 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 EGR Performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
Cooling loss protection - Revised engine protection strategy when an engine over-temperature condition is present. Vehicles updated with this service calibration will display higher temperature gauge readings when high EOT conditions or high ECT are encountered and may disable EGR operation to prevent possible EGR cooler damage.
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM VPWR PIDS is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking
2008 E-Series 6.0L:

False DTC P0470 - Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit fault due to a freezing condition.
False DTC P0404 - EGR performance due to a stuck turbocharger condition.
False P1260 induced during cranking due to low battery voltage.
Generic on-board diagnostics (OBD) improvements including; Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 4 and J1699 OBD data test results as reported to the service tool.
Turbocharger vane sweep strategy - Performs a sweep of the turbocharger vanes and unison ring during stationary idle conditions. Vane sweep can occur once per hour to help reduce turbocharger sticking
Previous released calibration content included in IDS software release 48.2 or higher for: 2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion and 2004-2008 E-Series 6.0L diesel equipped vehicles:

White smoke, lack of power, running rough condition after cold engine start up due to injector spool valve sticking internally during cold engine operation.
No start/hard start when accompanied with DTC P0611 (FICM Performance), P1378 (FICM System Voltage Low) and/or all eight (8) injector circuit codes.
The new calibration changes the frequency of injector spool valve shuttling under certain conditions and will sound differently from previously released versions.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
092403A 2004-2010 Econoline, 2003-2007 F-Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion 6.0L: Check For DTCs And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
RECALEM 04
vrsc is offline Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2009, 11:57 AM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
gearloose1...I have the whole TSB. My question was not whether anyone had the whole TSB or Not? I'm asking what their strategy code is now after getting the flash. What is your strategy code?

Old 12-25-2009, 12:28 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Hey.. how do I downdump the strategy code... without an AE reader?

Old 12-25-2009, 09:42 PM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
The only way I know of is with my SCT programmer or Edge Insight...do you know someone with a programmer....it doesn't hurt your PCM...it will just read your current strategy. It would be good to have handy if you ever need it. I'm hoping we can narrow down this latest flash by determining what others strategy code is IOT determine who has the most recent flash and who don't. Thanks.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:33 AM
FLYINGRMK
Freshman User
I had mine done last week. Starts great, Now my fuel has gone down to 12.5 MPG on a 500 mile trip. used to be almost 16 MPG.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:45 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FLYINGRMK
I had mine done last week. Starts great, Now my fuel has gone down to 12.5 MPG on a 500 mile trip. used to be almost 16 MPG.

That cannot be related to the flash...

Have you tried clearing the memory and have the turbo etc. relearn / retrain?

Old 12-26-2009, 01:30 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Winter fuel will also contribute to loss of MPG. Oh, BTW, my strategy is still VXBC9. Are you saying that some strategies have changed?

Old 12-26-2009, 04:21 PM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FLYINGRMK
FLYINGRMK...would you mind telling me what your strategy code is now? Thanks.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:11 PM
M. Kelly
Senior User
code number

New FICM first week this December.

Stragtey code VXBC3NJ

Old 12-26-2009, 11:42 PM
FLYINGRMK
Freshman User
Originally Posted by gearloose1
That cannot be related to the flash...

Have you tried clearing the memory and have the turbo etc. relearn / retrain?
I just had the batteries replaced with the reflash. Will that clear or relearn anything? The winter time fuel makes sence But 3-4 MPG..
Originally Posted by MoyockPowerstroke
FLYINGRMK...would you mind telling me what your strategy code is now? Thanks.
I Have a Edge Juce tuner that I have not used in some time but is still in the truck, will this give me a strategy code? if so i will plug it in and pull the codes.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:12 AM
melon350
Freshman User
Just had mine to the dealer, I got VXCF9H7. Does this mean I will not be able to use the spartan tunes? My old strategy was the VXCF4 so it had been a while.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:50 PM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by melon350
Just had mine to the dealer, I got VXCF9H7. Does this mean I will not be able to use the spartan tunes? My old strategy was the VXCF4 so it had been a while.
melon...yeah, you will need to update your tunes to match your new flash strategy. Since getting the new flash, can you describe the turbo vane sweep strategy while at idle. I haven't got the new flash Yet, but will and some are asking what the turbo sweep sounds like. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:36 AM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought anything past about 2 years ago had the vane-sweep function?

My VXCF5H5 strategy does the vane-sweep when it does the VGT relearn. With it's stock exhaust system, I cannot hear the vane sweep/VGT relearn when my ear is less than 12 inches from the tailpipe; and I know all too well what a VGT sounds like when closed down (I sleep next to them every night).

So you may not be able to hear it even if you DO get it.

-blaine

Quick Reply: WHAT IS YOUR STRATEGY CODE AFTER NOVEMBER 09 FLASH?