Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Senior User

loubell is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I installed a heated mirror switch

After researching a plethora of posts on this and other forums, I found plenty that talked about adding a switch for the heated mirrors, but none that actually showed how to do it. So I says to myself "Self, why don't you do this mod and post up some pics for the nice folks on FTE who have helped you out so much with your 03". So I did it and took some pics. I was doing the fog light mod and the idle up mod at the same time (to complete the trifecta) but I wont go into those as they have been well covered in the past.

For starters, my original plan was to simply tap a switch into the heated mirror wire coming from the back of the fuse block. But when I looked at the back of it, the wires DO NOT all correspond to where the fuses, breakers, and relays are. After researching, I could not figure out which wire it was, so I decided to just do it in the front.

The first task was tapping into the fuse slot #9. Here is the location on my 2003 6.0
(Click on the little pics for bigger pics)

The mini fuse taps that are available are a little too wide to use side by side. So instead, I cut a mini fuse in half, stripped the plastic off, and crimped a butt connecter on each one.

I labeled all of the wiring with a P-touch label maker, so that when I (or a mechanic) tears into it in 10 years, it will not be a big guessing game as to what all of the different wires are for.

Here are the fuse taps and the newly labled wires inserted into the slot for fuse #9. Just peeking out his head on the left is the new 20 amp fuse with holder that I spliced in line.

And the 30 amp switch with a yellow LED while on. All wiring labled.

The finished product, with "Mirror Heat" P-touch label, left side of steering column.

No more heated mirrors in the summer. The heating elements should last twice as long now.

Last edited by loubell; 12-23-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Nice post loubell! Thanks for taking the time to write it up (reps to ya).
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 12-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Posting Guru

dschuffert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dschuffert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Great information! Thanks for sharing!!
Autoenginuity Proline with Enhanced Ford Expansion.

2011 Explorer Limited - Wife's Vehicle
2005 F250 6.0 PSD 4X4 3.73 CC SB Lariat - Sold
Old 12-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Elder User

2001400ex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have wondered about the heater mirrors. How do they turn on? Please don't tell me it is something stupid like the first 10 minutes every time you turn on the truck. Mine doesn't have a outside temp gauge, so always kind of puzzled me... LOL
SCT programmer, Coolant filter
Old 12-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Senior User

From What I heve read on the web, unless you have a switch (like on some later F250s) they are always on. I verified this with my multimeter.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Elder User

conger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.conger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubell View Post
From What I heve read on the web, unless you have a switch (like on some later F250s) they are always on. I verified this with my multimeter.
Great info... I always thought it would be good to turn off in the summer.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
The issue I have w/ them is all the "spotting" - it really interferes w/ the view.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 12-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Elder User

2001400ex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
The issue I have w/ them is all the "spotting" - it really interferes w/ the view.
That answers why all the spots. I was just wondering that the other day, why these mirrors have spots after a half hour driving in the rain.
SCT programmer, Coolant filter
Old 12-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Postmaster

william_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputation
On Excursions they're activated with the rear window defroster switch..
(stupid emoticon huh?)

Nice work loubell!!
Old 12-24-2009, 04:43 AM
Post Fiend

Nice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to beholdNice Work Truck is a splendid one to behold
Great wright up loubell, reps to you.
I did the same thing buy hooked them to a upfitter switch.
I only turn them on when the mirror is fogged or icy.
"Whatever You Are Be a Good One". Abe Lincoln
The more you explain it, the more I don't understand it.' - Mark Twain
Old 12-24-2009, 06:38 AM
Senior User

CombatMedicF-250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great work! Great Write-up...well done for sure!

Reps Sent!
2008 Harley Street Glide, V&H Monster Ovals, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, and PC-V
Trauma Medical Instructor, Combat Medic, Bronze Star, IRAQ x 2
Warrior Transition Battalion, considered a wounded warrior now! And it sucks!
Old 12-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Posting Guru

flamebuster has a good reputation on FTE.flamebuster has a good reputation on FTE.
Great write up Loubell what color wire did you tap into for the mirrors and where did you locate it at.. info is greatly appreciated..
2004 F-350 Super Duty Crew King Ranch . 6.0 psd...coolant, filter,egr. cooler delete, ccv. reroute, slotted and drilled rotors,kitty ran away, air bags,leveling kit, progigy,piaa lights, Warn HID driving lights, Warn 9,000i winch.
2003 EXP; All stock Wifes ride!!
Old 12-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Postmaster

zhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to all
Good work!
2004 F250 6.0L 2WD CC "Pavement Princess"
2007 Monaco Starwood SL 31BHD
2012 Focus SEL (Wife's ride)
Old 12-25-2009, 06:39 AM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by william_04_x View Post
On Excursions they're activated with the rear window defroster switch..
Wow, Is that true W ? for all model years ?

We here in North Texas had a WHITE Christmas last nite and
while slip sliding up I-35W in the BLOWING snow, I didn't have my rear defroster on and the mirrors were clear.....

Also didn't know that some worked all the time either

What a conundrum

Now you guys got me thinking about it !
all gone:12 MVP Destiny 355RE 5er,12 F250 6.7 CCSB Grey Metallic Lariat w/ Ultimate Pkg,05 Ex 4x4 6L,03 Ex 4x4 6L,02 Ex 4x2 7.3L
Old 12-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Great write up Loubell what color wire did you tap into for the mirrors and where did you locate it at.. info is greatly appreciated
From my original post
Quote:
For starters, my original plan was to simply tap a switch into the heated mirror wire coming from the back of the fuse block. But when I looked at the back of it, the wires DO NOT all correspond to where the fuses, breakers, and relays are. After researching, I could not figure out which wire it was, so I decided to just do it in the front.
If anyone knows which wire coming out of the back of the fuse block it actually is, post it up with some pics so that the members on this board will have two ways to wire up a heated mirror switch.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:33 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1859, 2008, 99, f250, f350, ford, heated, hooking, kit, mirror, mirrors, power, switch, truck, work