6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

I installed a heated mirror switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:22 PM
SniperVision
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I use one of my stock auxilary switches for this? If so are they all the same or any recommendations? Thx again in advance!

Old 04-14-2013, 07:32 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Go back to page 4.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Culvert
Senior User
Just about to do this on my 06 SD with upfitter switches.
I cant get the OP pics to enlarge any bigger. What Id like to know is how do I plug into the fuse panel.
Running a wire from #3 Aux switch to #39 fuse. Do I just remove fuse & install a U shape wire connector. So both sides are tied into the mini fuse spot or do I cut 1 lug off the connector & go to 1 side of the fuse holder??

I hate wiring & don't want to burn up a fuse panel!!

Thanks for any help or better yet pics!

Old 05-29-2016, 08:28 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by solaratomic
Update: 2006 uses a Green wire w/violet stripe also, connector is not labeled but it is almost directly behind the mirror heat fuse. This connector is at the bottom of the fuse block, just about in the middle(looking directly at it). It has a looped light blue wire w/pink stripe (gos in loops and gos back in) and the release is on the end of the connector. This should help you identify it. I decided to go with the Aux 2 switch since the factory fuse is 15amps, now I just have to go get a large 15 amp fuse for the switch fuse in the block so the mirror wiring doesn't burn up for some reason. Based on the wire size I think I could've used Aux 3 but why take the chance if I'm not useing Aux 2 for anything else. I recommend a SMALL jewelers flathead screwdriver to pry out the red lock in the center of the connector and then to push in the back of the connector to get it to release the wire, it's no prob if you use that. Hope this helps.
I just wanted to let everyone know that this post is correct for the 2006. I found the wire for fuse #39 (green w/violet stripe), then to verify it was the correct connector, I looked for the blue wire w/pink stripe. The connector did indeed have the needed green w/violet striped wire as well as two blue w/pink stripe wires (I assume the OP was correct in stating it looped back in.)
To verify operation, I turned the truck on and let the mirrors get warm and then shut the truck off. I cut the green w/violet stripe wire and waited about 5 minutes. Started the truck up and after a couple minutes it was obvious the mirrors weren't heating up. Success! I attached a piece of 16 ga wire (all I had, probably don't need it to be that large) to both ends of the cut wire and ran them above the fuse box to the dash where I installed a 15 amp 3 pole lighted switch. I ran a ground to the right side of the dash. Now my switch lights up when the heat is on!

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-11-2017, 08:30 PM
spudthegreater
Mountain Pass
Heated mirror switch for F250 2006

installed heat mirror switch. Going to put a label on it later.

Green wire with violet stripe...hard to see without some light on it...

4Bolts and position 39 fuse.

I just got done replacing the stock non towing power mirrors on my F250 with some ebay aftermarket mirrors that have the lights/turn signal/ power adjust and heated mirror elements. Didn't know that any of that would actually work because the old small mirrors had none of those functions save the power adjust. Well, low and behold the connectors plugged in just fine and the mirror got hot while I was listening to the radio, I was like, what the heck? Didn't realize that the mirrors by design are always on when the key is on. That was not going to fly with me, so I bought a $6 15amp spst switch and installed a lit red led switch so I can turn it off or on when I want it.
here are some of the steps I took to do it.
1. Disconnect battery cable and remove fuse box with 4 screws, this is drivers side left bottom of dash.
2. Find the Green wire with the violet stripe cut in half and put connectors on them to feed two wires to a SPST switch. Pull the connector out of the back its the connector that is right behind the position 39 heated mirror fuse.
3. The SPST switch has 3 spade connection points, one is for supply, one is for load and one is for ground. the ground connection will allow the led to light up when you hit the switch. It will work with out the ground, but the led light wont light up, you wont know if the mirror is on or not.
4. Find a spot to put the switch and connect it up.
5. Reconnect the fuse box and reconnect the battery and test the switch and then check for heat by touching the mirror, you will feel it pretty quick.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:58 PM
spudthegreater
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by spudthegreater

installed heat mirror switch. Going to put a label on it later.

Green wire with violet stripe...hard to see without some light on it...

4Bolts and position 39 fuse.

I just got done replacing the stock non towing power mirrors on my F250 with some ebay aftermarket mirrors that have the lights/turn signal/ power adjust and heated mirror elements. Didn't know that any of that would actually work because the old small mirrors had none of those functions save the power adjust. Well, low and behold the connectors plugged in just fine and the mirror got hot while I was listening to the radio, I was like, what the heck? Didn't realize that the mirrors by design are always on when the key is on. That was not going to fly with me, so I bought a $6 15amp spst switch and installed a lit red led switch so I can turn it off or on when I want it.
here are some of the steps I took to do it.
1. Disconnect battery cable and remove fuse box with 4 screws, this is drivers side left bottom of dash.
2. Find the Green wire with the violet stripe cut in half and put connectors on them to feed two wires to a SPST switch. Pull the connector out of the back its the connector that is right behind the position 39 heated mirror fuse.
3. The SPST switch has 3 spade connection points, one is for supply, one is for load and one is for ground. the ground connection will allow the led to light up when you hit the switch. It will work with out the ground, but the led light wont light up, you wont know if the mirror is on or not.
4. Find a spot to put the switch and connect it up.
5. Reconnect the fuse box and reconnect the battery and test the switch and then check for heat by touching the mirror, you will feel it pretty quick.
window heat and camper alignment laser light.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:02 PM
spudthegreater
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by spudthegreater
mirror heat and camper alignment laser light.
120 deg line green line laser mounted on inside of rear window
neodymium magnetic mount removable with quick disconnect

Old 06-12-2017, 10:11 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
I'll have to find my pics for using the T-Bird timed switch in the door for this. I've got the ones from my old '01 F-250 in FB, but not this truck.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:36 PM
spudthegreater
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
I'll have to find my pics for using the T-Bird timed switch in the door for this. I've got the ones from my old '01 F-250 in FB, but not this truck.

didn't even think about going to a parts yard and seeing if i could find a door panel with a heat switch on it. could have wired right to that switch... dont know if the 2006 would have fit but it would have been great.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:41 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

For the T-Birds they were located on the dash, next to the heater controls. Using those was an old technique from around 2001. The wiring gets a little funky, but the advantage is when you want them to defrost you just hit the momentary switch and the mirror heats for like 15 minutes and turns itself off. Helpful for us aged personnel.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:30 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

What do you do when you want to use the heat to keep mirrors dry while driving in the rain?

Old 06-13-2017, 12:47 PM
spudthegreater
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv
What do you do when you want to use the heat to keep mirrors dry while driving in the rain?
are you referring to the post regarding the mirror switch labeled in white of the timed heat switch?

Old 06-13-2017, 01:06 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
For the T-Birds they were located on the dash, next to the heater controls. Using those was an old technique from around 2001. The wiring gets a little funky, but the advantage is when you want them to defrost you just hit the momentary switch and the mirror heats for like 15 minutes and turns itself off. Helpful for us aged personnel.
This post. ^^^^

Old 06-13-2017, 02:22 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

I leave them off in the rain so they don't get so spotted. My initial adaptation was converting the '01 truck to heated mirrors, but with the '03 it was so they were only on when they needed to be defrosted.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:37 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
This and the fog light mod are on my list of tiny wire mods that I really need to do,
Too bad that the original got eaten by time.

Also I know that he said that he started a new thread on the wiper shaker.
But it would be nice to know how well it worked.

Quick Reply: I installed a heated mirror switch