1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Are You a BUYER, or a SELLER?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:06 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Are You a BUYER, or a SELLER?

I love to buy trucks and parts and got to thinking....how many would rather buy than sell something?
I know...I know...you must buy first then have it to sell.....but in general do you like to sell? Or do you like to just buy,and sell only as a last resort?

I have been buying and selling since 1973 and have a love for the hunt....and to shop for something and get the lowest price.
Ebay is a great tool to buy and sell, and just thought I would ask you since it is Christmas. Craigslist is a good place also.
Thanks....Bill

Old 12-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man do I love to buy! The wife said I need to sell some stuff. But I told her thats what she is suppose to do after I am gone! Seriously, I love to buy tooling for my shop on ebay and so far have only good experiences. Two things i have sold that I will regret forever. A 1965 corvair convertable that i restored and a 1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate. Best bike I ever owned.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:14 PM
slappysdump
Senior User
I guess I'm a buyer--I've never sold a car or truck--traded in a couple but never sold any.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:16 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
buy, buy ,buy, gotta love the hunt.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:17 PM
slappysdump
Senior User
Oh wait a second--I did sell a truck once--my 1978 F-100, forgot about that one. Damn now I wish I had'nt sold it.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:44 PM
gdgerland
Elder User
I'm a buyer. For some reason, I buy high and sell low. Can't make any money that way. Maybe I could make it up on volume. Once I buy a truck it is very painful for me to part with it. I have sold a few but as I said, whatever I buy is a priceless classic but when I go to sell it, it's just an old rusty truck. With that in mind, I might as well keep it.

Gil

Old 12-23-2009, 06:46 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I like to buy but with our present economy I think I might have to start selling just to stay afloat. The problem is there doesn't seem to be many buying, or at least not willing to spend as much as they did a year or so ago. I sold a '48 Mercury radio, the one that fits a '48-50 truck, on the 'Bay a few months ago and got less than $50 for it. The one I sold was the worst of the ones I have but was in better condition than ones I've see sell a year or so ago that sold easily for $150. I put it out there just as a test to see how the selling was going. I've been trying to sell a set of brake drums for what I have into them for the last year and had a few tire kickers but no real bites. I have other parts I could sell but I'm not putting anything else out there until I see the market pick up. I watch the 'Bay on a somewhat regular basis and haven't seen any interesting items show up lately because I think the market is too soft. Usually there would be a radio or factory grill guard or some other hard to find item showing up. Now it's mostly reproduction manuals, pieces of hardward and other stuff you can buy from the reproduction parts dealers.

With the present thinking in DC and the burden it looks like we're going to be saddled with tomorrow afternoon, I doubt it's going to get much better any time soon.

I can tell you one thing, in good times I would guestimate I have a easy $8-10K worth of parts up in my mezzanine and other places, but I doubt I can get half for it now. If I die before I sell it all my wife and kids will sell it all to the first scrap dealer that knocks on the door. She strongly disagrees with my estimate, even when I've sold that "Rusty piece of junk", that she was going to have the kids throw into the dumpster, for $100-150.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:58 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm a buyer. I'm hoping MidFifty or Lmc and some of the other parts sellers for our trucks would start running some sales on parts. Sure would be nice.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:14 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
My wife loves for me to find trucks,and actually coaxes me into some of them. I even turned down one yesterday that went cheap,and she said buy it.

I know what you mean about all the manuals and tail light repros etc on the ebay now.
Generally like to buy, but you have to know how to wheel and deal to sell also.
These guys that say....I want xxdollars for something and I offer them x....I usually leave my number with them.....most times they call me in a week and take my offer.
If not.....I will keep on huntin'.......

Old 12-23-2009, 07:14 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by norvillebob
buy, buy ,buy, gotta love the hunt.
+1 Just don't seem satisfied with the purchase, so I go try to find another, lol.

Really, though, I have more of a weak spot for seeing something scrapped, crushed, or rotting in a field. So I make an effort to save them.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:18 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I like to buy but with our present economy I think I might have to start selling just to stay afloat. The problem is there doesn't seem to be many buying, or at least not willing to spend as much as they did a year or so ago. I sold a '48 Mercury radio, the one that fits a '48-50 truck, on the 'Bay a few months ago and got less than $50 for it. The one I sold was the worst of the ones I have but was in better condition than ones I've see sell a year or so ago that sold easily for $150. I put it out there just as a test to see how the selling was going. I've been trying to sell a set of brake drums for what I have into them for the last year and had a few tire kickers but no real bites. I have other parts I could sell but I'm not putting anything else out there until I see the market pick up. I watch the 'Bay on a somewhat regular basis and haven't seen any interesting items show up lately because I think the market is too soft. Usually there would be a radio or factory grill guard or some other hard to find item showing up. Now it's mostly reproduction manuals, pieces of hardward and other stuff you can buy from the reproduction parts dealers.
I have noticed the same on ebay, Bob. Is it because of the economy or because of the higher charges on ebay and paypal.

About the health care stuff in DC; it may pass the Senate but I doubt if the House and Senate will be able to agree on the same bill...

Old 12-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Wayne S
Elder User
I am definately a buyer.I love the hunt for my next vette or truck.I currently have two for sale and looking forward to the new hunt.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:53 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
In general, I'd say that I'm a buyer. I'm constantly trolling fleaBay and Craigslist for good deals - and sometimes even not so good deals if it's something I really want or need. I think we all suffer from the bug now and then and just can't resist the prospect of buying a new toy - even if we don't have the time and space for it.

Once in awhile, though, my mood changes. As I learn more about life, cars, trucks, and even myself, my direction with the projects I've got in the works tends to morph over time. After this goes on for so long, I realize that I've got a ton of money invested in stuff that I'm no longer going to use and am tired of tripping over. At that point, it's sell, sell, sell!

I differ from a lot of guys when I'm on a selling spree, though. Most of them that I've ran across or dealt with are after absolute top dollar and don't care how bad they screw somebody. I always try to make a little profit, but I have reasonable expectations of what stuff is worth. I don't like to give things away, but if I got a particularly good deal on a piece when I bought it, I feel good about passing the part along at a fair or slightly low price to another enthusiast who truly appreciates the hardware.

I'm finding out that it doesn't always pay to be honest and fair, though. I sold my dad's rusty, crusty '64 Galaxie fastback on Craigslist this fall. I advertised it honestly and made no bones about the fact that it needed a complete restoration and a ton of sheet metal replaced. A guy that I went to high school with ended up buying it. He told me the whole time he was looking it over that he loved that body style and absolutely HAD to have this car. He came back out a couple days later to pick up a spare engine and the title. He went on and on about how he had the wheels all polished up and was working on getting her running. He had new quarters and floor pans already ordered. "I'll drive it back out here this summer so you can see it!" A few days later, it was on eBay with a minimum bid of over twice what he paid for it. He neglected to mention in the ad that it didn't run, had no brakes, and he downplayed or didn't mention the rust issues. All the pictures were carefully taken to exclude the ugly spots. After reading the ad and looking at the pics, your average person would have gotten the impression that he was bidding on a nice, running driver. It doesn't really bother me that he's trying to make a buck. It's the fact that he looked me in the face and lied to me about his plans when he bought it and then turned around and lied to his potential buyers when he tried to sell it. I hate liars and crooks. It doesn't matter whether they are the buyer or the seller. This jackazz did it both ways!

Old 12-23-2009, 08:58 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
I'm a scrounger/trader more than a buyer/seller.
I like to hunker and spit while working a deal - nothing like the chase.
I worked for two weeks with an old junkyard operator to shave 5 bucks off a tranny - he called me up a month or so later and told me to come down and pick up 2 more that he just got in - said no one wants to haggle any more.
I noticed that most people don't want to seal a deal anymore unless you are right in their face with hard cash.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:16 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm definately a buyer....I buy buy buy parts to make sure I have the components to fix what I need and tell myself I will sell the excess.... It's a lie.....I give it away or trade it away...Hey ILYA! tee hee.

Quick Reply: Are You a BUYER, or a SELLER?