1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Cold air intake and chips

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:14 PM
951bulldog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold air intake and chips

Hey guys, new here. I have a Ranger w/ a 3.0 V6. Looking for a little extra go, but would rather not spend a ton. So here is my question. what is the difference between the $60 caold air intakes on Ebay and the K&N or Volant ones that are $300? Or how about the ones that are $170ish? Isn;t it just a bigger tube w/ a filter on the end?

Also, any advice on performance chips? With these I could see how there could be a difference between the $25 Ebay ones and the $300 ones, so is there really a difference?

I don;t want to sound cheap and rarely if ever buy stuff from Ebay, but for this, especially the CAI, I really can't see a difference, unless there is some hidden tech in there I can't see. Kinda like a Rolex and a Swatch, both tell the same time, but the Rolex looks better.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:10 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
You get what you pay for with intakes. Chips suck and are pretty much worthless. The best combo is to get a bama engine programer and AEM, AFE, volant or K&N intake. You will see a noticleable increase in power with bama and a good intake. You can check out the bama engine programer at bamachips.com. A good catback exhaust will also help with the programer and intake. There is also an underdrive pully available for the 3.0 that helps.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:00 AM
951bulldog
New User
Originally Posted by wendell borror
You get what you pay for with intakes. Chips suck and are pretty much worthless. The best combo is to get a bama engine programer and AEM, AFE, volant or K&N intake. You will see a noticleable increase in power with bama and a good intake. You can check out the bama engine programer at bamachips.com. A good catback exhaust will also help with the programer and intake. There is also an underdrive pully available for the 3.0 that helps.

So what's the difference between a cheapo intake and a good one? Isn't it juist a pipe w/ a filter on it? Or is there more to it?

Old 12-24-2009, 03:51 PM
reddog99
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Save your money as far as "cold air" intakes go. The Ranger already has a cold air intake in stock condition. It draws air from behind the headlight. You're not going to get it any colder unless you re-route the intake to draw from the air conditioner output!

Old 12-25-2009, 08:42 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
On a good intake they do the work to reduce the angles and bends of the tube. They use computers to determine the best flow and volicity from filter to tb. Should also have a good heat sheild. Need correct filter and tube diameter, plus length, it is a science. It's not a question of cold air as much as unrestricted fow and the volicity in which the outside air can reach the engine before getting too much heat soak in the tube. More air in it's self won't do alot without proper fuel/ air ratio, thats where bama come in. With increased air/fuel and advanced timming, you get a decent power bump and alot of times better mpg. I hsve used bama, intake and catback on several of my vehicles over the years and have been pleased with the result. The amount of power will differ between vehicles and engines and how restrictive the stock airbox is. I have never had a 3.0, but Waves has, a fellow member and he had the intake and catback and said the reults were ok. I turned him on to bama. With bama added to the mix he was surprising pleased, he ended up with about 15 extra hp and close to 20 pounds of torque on 92 octane fuel. He installed an udp for another 6 hp. It's still not a race truck, but alot peppier. His ranger is a 4x4 and runs the sand dunes on the beaches of Texas. He's alot happier with it now.