General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Only in Ky

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 05:30 AM
ltl_jrw
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only in Ky

I live in Ohio and I am in Ky working for a pipeline company from Wisc. and the 21st of last month I was driving a 2 ton company truck and got pulled over my KDOT for a routine check. As the truck was reg for 64000 lb in Ky it was suppose to be on a list of all trucks operating in and thru Ky by the company. As it turns out the truck was not and because I was driving I got the ticket with a court appearance not prepayable. I turned in the ticket to the company the day I got it and was assured all would be taken care of.

Being the ticket was a court appearance ticket I went to court yesterday along with a company rep and I got thrown under the buss. The company had taken care of the reg problem but I GOT A 1 YEAR PROBATION AND THE COMPANY GOT OFF SCOTT FREE, NO FINE. If I get another violation within this probation the old ticket will come back to bite me in the *** with up to 1 year in jail.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:37 AM
modar
Elder User
why cant the working man get a break?

Old 12-22-2009, 12:16 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's abbreviated KY for a reason. Don't get another ticket.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:20 PM
jasonch
Senior User
commonwealth state!

Old 12-22-2009, 05:32 PM
ltl_jrw
Senior User

More to this story, I was talking to some of the guys about what happened in court and one of the supervisor came over to me and called me aside and told me to keep my mouth shut, this came down from the main office, and not to bring this up anymore. He told me if I keep perusing this that the company might be audited and KY might find more violations and it could cost the company 10's of thousands of dollars. They were sorry I was put in the spot but they are not going to fight this. I have been thrown to the wolf's and the company is at fault but is going to let things just stay as is.

I am thinking of filing a civil rights law suite as they told me to shut my mouth and not tell anyone else. The drawback to a law suite is being they a very large pipeline company they could blackball me and I might not be able to work pipeline again. As I make in excess of $80,000 a year I doubt I could find another job that even comes close to that at this time. If I quit my job then no unemployment and I am really screwed. See pipeline company's all share information and the word about me would spread before I could get home.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:41 PM
jasonch
Senior User
tough spot, requires a lot of thinking, no one wants to roll over and take it, but a family make it a little easier to justify getting screwed. good luck man!

Old 12-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Jaaaaaaackman
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ltl_jrw
I live in Ohio and I am in Ky working for a pipeline company from Wisc. and the 21st of last month I was driving a 2 ton company truck and got pulled over my KDOT for a routine check. As the truck was reg for 64000 lb in Ky it was suppose to be on a list of all trucks operating in and thru Ky by the company. As it turns out the truck was not and because I was driving I got the ticket .

Question , how does a two ton truck get registered for 64,000 lbs?

Question , how long have you been a truck driver? its common knowledge that an overweight is a driver ticket not company, if the truck had an overweight permit its the drivers responsibility to to have it in the cab to present on demand, did you have a permit?

ifn I was you at 80,000 dollars a year I would suck that up as a bad *** lesson learned........

Old 12-22-2009, 06:42 PM
ltl_jrw
Senior User

Originally Posted by Jaaaaaaackman
Question , how does a two ton truck get registered for 64,000 lbs?

Question , how long have you been a truck driver? its common knowledge that an overweight is a driver ticket not company, if the truck had an overweight permit its the drivers responsibility to to have it in the cab to present on demand, did you have a permit?

ifn I was you at 80,000 dollars a year I would suck that up as a bad *** lesson learned........
First I don't own the truck so don't know how a 2 ton got registered for 64,000, that is what was on the IRP registration.

Second I have been driving commercially for over 35 years

Third it was not an overweight ticket but a "Registration Violation, Failure To Add To The Taxable Inventory".

Old 12-22-2009, 06:42 PM
19704X4F250
Posting Guru
Been there, done that!! Bus tracks don't come off the forehead easily. I was ticketed over a year ago due to my company's negligence and I had to pay a $284 ticket. It took me a year but I drove like a cop was behind every tree and bush. I agree with Jaaaaaaackman, suck it up, collect your $80,000 salary and drive safely for the next year.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Jaaaaaaackman
More Turbo
First I don't own the truck so don't know how a 2 ton got registered for 64,000, that is what was on the IRP registration.

Second I have been driving commercially for over 35 years

Third it was not an overweight ticket but a "Registration Violation, Failure To Add To The Taxable Inventory".

Strange I don't understand it,,,,

But thats a good job I never made good money driving trucks.....

Old 12-22-2009, 09:07 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
. He told me if I keep perusing this that the company might be audited and KY might find more violations and it could cost the company 10's of thousands of dollars. They were sorry I was put in the spot but they are not going to fight this. .
could tell him that the "pain and suffering" of being on probation is worth a dollar amount

Old 12-22-2009, 09:49 PM
petes79f150
Posting Guru
Ask them what it's worth for you to keep your mouth shut. Let's see.....a nice little cruise to the Bahamas for me and the wife sounds cheaper than "10's of thousands of dollars".

Pete

Old 12-23-2009, 03:15 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Have You talked with Your Union Rep? @ $80K/Yr, that must be a union job?

Old 12-23-2009, 04:29 AM
ltl_jrw
Senior User

Originally Posted by fonefiddy
Have You talked with Your Union Rep? @ $80K/Yr, that must be a union job?

Yep have talked to both the Union Stewart and Business Agent and the BA talked with Union Lawyers and said their hands are tied as there is nothing in the pipeline contract that covers this.

Wife wants me to just drag up and come home but if I do I can not draw any unemployment benefits. I have been so lucky to have been able to work when soooo many people have been laid off, or lost there jobs altogether.

About 6 months ago I was offered a job with Shell Oil company but turned it down because it was overseas (Nigeria, Africa). The money was good, $28.000 a month but I had to sign a contract for 2 years. Kinda wish I had taken the job now but no retirement. With pipeline there are no company benefits just union benefits and I am about 3 years from retirement.

Well Today I am going home for Christmas, have 5 day off with no pay and will make a decision then.

Have a Merry Christmas

Old 12-23-2009, 09:01 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Edit, because I don't know how to delete my post.

Good luck Buddy.

Quick Reply: Only in Ky