Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 door Bronco questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 03:15 PM
79Ford4x4
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 door Bronco questions

Hey guys. I am thinking of turning my truck into a 4 door bronco. Right now it is a single cab longbed. My family will be adding one in a few months and I only have single cab trucks. Not enough room for three kids so I need bigger. Selling is not an option either. I would like to take a crew cab and weld on the back half of a bronco to make this. I have found some pictures buy no build threads. Does anyone know roughly what the wheelbase of that combo would need to be? I know I might have to move the rear axle back some. Any info you have would be great. Thanks

Old 12-22-2009, 03:18 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
these are called centurians.

google for more info.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:36 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
The frames are different behind the B-post so you're going to need the back half of a Bronco frame. And a custom driveline made from one out of an extended cab truck (you'll need to split shaft somewhere in the middle with a carrier bearing), then you'll have to cut and weld the cab together - I guess you'd start with a crewcab frame, cut the back off and tack on the Bronco frame - then smooth out, finish, and paint the body.

Are you sure you have the space, skills, tools, time, and money to do this job? Wouldn't it be easier to buy an Expedition or a Centurion if that's what you have your heart set on?

I just don't see the point in anyone going through that much time and money to build something they can buy for less. If you're doing it for the cool factor, and you have lots of time and money then I can see it, but you say you're doing it for family reasons. So I don't get it.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:44 PM
truckrider814
Posting Guru

For some more info go to Fourdoorbronco.com there's a few people that have done this quite successfully i might add. can let you know what you'll need and everything their a great bunch there.

Kyle

Old 12-22-2009, 04:31 PM
79Ford4x4
Elder User
Yes, I know of the centurians. Yes it would be easier but I'm not going to buy something I can build for much less. What I am talking about is cutting the crewcab at the c pillar. Leaving the door structure there. Then cutting the bronco at the b pillar. Slide the two together and weld her up. I have that part figured out. what I don't know is what the wheelbase will need to be stretched to. This is for my factory frame. No need to get another and swap everything over. If I need to stretch the frame that is fine and easy to do.

truckrider814- Thank you sir. That is the kind of info I need to find

Old 12-22-2009, 05:17 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 79Ford4x4
what I don't know is what the wheelbase will need to be stretched to. This is for my factory frame. No need to get another and swap everything over. If I need to stretch the frame that is fine and easy to do.
I'm not sure on the wheelbase. The best thing to do would be to find someone with a Centurion and ask them to measure it for you (and hope they do it right).

I don't think you understand what I'm talking about with the frame. I can't find a pic of the Bronco frame, but the floor under the rear seat and behind it isn't at the same level as the cab floor. It's about 6 inches higher. The frame has a 6" curve in it on both sides to support the difference in floor height between the two sections. That curve isn't present in an F-series frame. You're either going to either make the floor level (bad idea IMO) or use the rear half of a Bronco frame.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:46 AM
79Ford4x4
Elder User
Well, I found out the wheelbase ( 140.4" ) Also found out a few other things. A 350 centurion has a 350 front frame half and a bronco back half. I did forget about the difference in floor heights. Came across a guy that did a full centurion conversion and he was in $20,000. I think I can do it for about $1,000. Combining two parts trucks ( F350 4x4 crew and bronco). Not trying to make a centurion so to speak. Interior will just be what the stock 350 came with. I have the space and tools for the job but time is not on my side. need to find some decent parts trucks

Old 12-23-2009, 02:17 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well it should be a interesting project -please take plenty of pictures -and post em up
Good luck

Old 12-23-2009, 02:23 AM
andyman91
Senior User
Old 12-23-2009, 08:28 AM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Add up all the prices of your parts and then always times it by 3 and thats still prob. more than it's going to cost you. Not trying to discurage you just a good rule of thumb.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:05 AM
79Ford4x4
Elder User
I have always wanted to make my own. I've looked at some cent's for sale but they hold there value well. 5-7 grand for a rusty heap. I know I could build it for less. My girlfriend and I were talking yesterday and it dawned on me that I can't accommodate three kids+woman in any of my trucks. So I need to make it bigger. An extended cab doesn't offer enough space for three car seats. Those things take up alot of room. A crew cab has enough room. Does anybody know what is involved in just the crew cab swap. Unfortunatly that might be a little more feasable at this time. Just trying to figure my options

Old 12-23-2009, 12:12 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 79Ford4x4
Came across a guy that did a full centurion conversion and he was in $20,000. I think I can do it for about $1,000.
i doubt that $1,000 cost.

maybe $10,000+ is more realistic.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:05 PM
79Ford4x4
Elder User
Really! How much do parts trucks cost. $400 or less. Take $400 x 2= $800. I have full sheets ( 4x8 ) of plate steel all the way up to 3/16. Square tube and DOM in many wall thincknesses. So steel is covered. Bronco truck will donate the rear frame and rear body. Crew truck will donate all parts from the rear cab wall forward. Like I said I am not trying to make a Centurion. No fancy interior with cush seats, captian chairs and wood trim. Just a simple work truck that can haul the kids. The rear of it would be used so no carpet or anything like that. Why is this such a hard idea to grasp. Maybe I should have posted this in a forum that accepts things other than bolt on-everybody has crap

Old 12-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
well i think u got it covered and yea 75% of people here are against customizing these trucks for some reason....

maybe its coz they go no know how

i would like to hear more about ur plan of approach and pics along the way

and i agree with u on most every one here just wants to bolt stuff on and go plow snow

get pissed if u want.... i dont see anything exciting about plowing snow....

good luck with ur project and if u run into any snags let me know and ill see if i can help u out or at least work out a solution

Old 12-23-2009, 06:22 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Hitokori
well i think u got it covered and yea 75% of people here are against customizing these trucks for some reason....

maybe its coz they go no know how
It's because 90% of the customizations I see are butchered by amateurs who don't know to weld and don't understand physics, geometry or math. There are very few people that are competent truck builders. Who knows, maybe you are one of them, I have no idea. Maybe you can do the things that you say you can do. If you can, that's awesome, and I hope you keep us all posted with your progress and lots of pictures. I really enjoy threads like that. If you are doing a good job, people's comments will let you know that. There are dozens of threads in this and other forums about people who have done/are doing their own custom work and they receive lots of positive feedback so it's not like there is some group of people on FTE that are adverse to it.

Quick Reply: 4 door Bronco questions