Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Postmaster

jetdoc is a splendid one to beholdjetdoc is a splendid one to beholdjetdoc is a splendid one to beholdjetdoc is a splendid one to beholdjetdoc is a splendid one to beholdjetdoc is a splendid one to beholdjetdoc is a splendid one to behold
Duncan Tuley
High Pressure power steering hose

Hey all! My high pressure power steering hose just blew at the "B" nut at the pump. Meaning, the fitting is still in the pump but the line is out. Do I need to replace the whole line or is there a retainer I can swap out? Many thanks!

Duncan

https://www.youtube.com/user/jetdocbwi?feature=mhee
Old 12-20-2009, 05:16 PM
still plays with trucks

bfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to behold
I'd say the whole line.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Post Fiend

big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfife View Post
I'd say the whole line.
X2, wouldn't cut corners with hose connections like that. They shouldn't be that much.
Mike's 03 [FONT=Verdana]F-250 7.3 CC SB XLT 4x4 Auto and just joined the 229,000 miles and counting. [FONT=Comic Sans MS]PAA#26 Wife's: Whoops, I mean an 08 (Explorer) Eddie B. 4.0 v6 4x4 109,000
Old 12-20-2009, 05:58 PM
New User

hienergy557 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That nut is available from the Ford dealer here in Australia, it's the same as the one used on our Falcon. It's a nut with a o ring seal and a clip inside, once it is put on it shouldn't come off, you have to carefully grind the nut to remove it and put on the new one. But also our trucks are right hand drive, done by Ford Brazil for Ford Australia.
I would think the connection to the pump is the same LH drive or RH drive.
Cheers Colin.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Elder User

Bergerson has a very good reputation on FTE.Bergerson has a very good reputation on FTE.Bergerson has a very good reputation on FTE.
I had to buy the whole line when mine blew on me last summer, list price from ford was around $85.00 I got it for $60 and some change
00' F-350, ( LIVE TUNED) DP Tuner, GTP38R, AFE II intake, , MBRP 4" straight piped ex, 6" superlift, 38" Toyo M/T's on 20" diamo's 17 Karat's, 238cc DI Mini-Me's Hybirds. (2) backup cameras, custom home built front bumper, 10 HID off road lights..
Old 12-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Senior User

swaybar is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i replaced mine last summer also, forget the cost but like it says "high pressure". i think you'd be best off with a new one

1999-7.3 4x4 F350 SUPERDUTY LONGBED
"NEVER PAY SOMEONE TO DO SOMETHING YOU CAN DO YOURSELF"
BRIAN
Old 12-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Postmaster

jetdoc is a splendid one to beholdjetdoc is a splendid one to beholdjetdoc is a splendid one to beholdjetdoc is a splendid one to beholdjetdoc is a splendid one to beholdjetdoc is a splendid one to beholdjetdoc is a splendid one to behold
Duncan Tuley
Thanks for the input guys.....It looks like it's swaged on there but a new line was only 34 bucks at NAPA. I was backing up in two feet of snow trying not to hit my neighbors truck when it blew. I must have been too close to the stop.

I will say this though....It jerked the wheel right out of my hand when it happened! Luckily for me I was close to home.

Thanks again!

Duncan

https://www.youtube.com/user/jetdocbwi?feature=mhee
Old 04-26-2010, 02:08 AM
New User

Tinker2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can anyone tell me why Ford uses that pressed on fitting over an o-ring on the pump end, and a flared fitting on the steering end? Why not use a flared fitting on both ends? I'm getting tired of replacing that dang hose!! I've replaced it 4 times in 6 years. The last time was last week, and the time before that was 7 months ago.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:16 PM
New User

torreador250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs down 2003 F250 5.4L 4X4

I can't get a wrench on my high pressure line nut on the pump. The pulley wheel is in the way for starters, but its so tight, I don't see how I'd turn the wrench if i got it on there. Is there anything else I need to remove to get at that line?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:09 PM
wellhead

gradyc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker2 View Post
Can anyone tell me why Ford uses that pressed on fitting over an o-ring on the pump end, and a flared fitting on the steering end? Why not use a flared fitting on both ends? I'm getting tired of replacing that dang hose!! I've replaced it 4 times in 6 years. The last time was last week, and the time before that was 7 months ago.
Oversized tires? My truck is 10 plus years old, with oem wheels, and never had a problem with the ps hose,
Mods - zoodad-Isspro EV2 gauges,boost,pyro, tranny-6637 with cover-in tank mod-gpr led-AIH delete--CCV mod- four bit mod-2" front levelling blocks-6.0 IC and tranny cooler-RiffRaff plenium inserts & IC boots-DP Tuner-Bilstein 5100's.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Senior User

PaulDH is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
More Info on the Ford PSP High Pressure Hose

Check out this Thread for additional information on the defective design of the factory Ford PSP High Pressure Hose.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...ring-line.html

I'll be upgrading my PSP to a Saginaw-style GM pump, an also adding a hydraulic ram power assist, but I'm running 40" Nitto Mud-Grappler tires, and will need the extra power.

However it's common for the Ford Factory PSP high pressure hose to blow out of the fastening nut at the connection with the Ford PSP. There's an itsy bitsy retaining clip that wears down over time and when it finally fails, the High Pressure Hose is then allowed to blow free of the retaining nut - a design weakness and flaw IMO.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Post Fiend

big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.big poppa has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDH View Post
Check out this Thread for additional information on the defective design of the factory Ford PSP High Pressure Hose.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...ring-line.html

I'll be upgrading my PSP to a Saginaw-style GM pump, an also adding a hydraulic ram power assist, but I'm running 40" Nitto Mud-Grappler tires, and will need the extra power.

However it's common for the Ford Factory PSP high pressure hose to blow out of the fastening nut at the connection with the Ford PSP. There's an itsy bitsy retaining clip that wears down over time and when it finally fails, the High Pressure Hose is then allowed to blow free of the retaining nut - a design weakness and flaw IMO.
Very good info there about the clip, reps sent on this problem.. Scary stuff. Any pics available of this design flaw??
Mike's 03 [FONT=Verdana]F-250 7.3 CC SB XLT 4x4 Auto and just joined the 229,000 miles and counting. [FONT=Comic Sans MS]PAA#26 Wife's: Whoops, I mean an 08 (Explorer) Eddie B. 4.0 v6 4x4 109,000
Old 01-16-2011, 12:05 AM
Senior User

PaulDH is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here's a picture of Ford's high pressure PS hose snap ring/C-clip that let loose on a neighbor's F250 recently. That itsy bitsy snap ring on the right is the only thing holding the male steel ferrule end of the hose to the retaining nut. It's not even made out of steel. Made of a brass or copper or bronze type of metal. These snap rings wear away over time. The loss of snap ring material is visible on the bottom of the snap ring in this photo. In addition, a good portion of this snap ring is entirely missing - from 07:30 to 11:00 hrs. Failure occurs when the snap ring wears to the point that it can no longer restrain the PS hose from blowing free of the retaining nut that secures it to the PS pump. Causing this: All your tranny fluid pukes out of the power steering system.
The vehicle owner initial response will be this:
After some analysis of the problem, and figuring out what a worthless POS PS Hose Ford designed for their PS pump, you'll be doing this:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Postmaster

riverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to all
Mine blew off Tuesday evening.Bought a replacement hose from Autozoo.Yes,it is a PITA to get that 90 degree started in the side of the pump.
02 F-350 4x4 Auto ,David Lott Tunes, 4''Exhaust, 6637w/Pete's Cover, Crossover, AIH Delete, Foil Delete, Garrett 38R, Ped Gutted, Riffraff FRX ,Tugger Kit, Isspro Gauges, CCV, Recon smoke cab lights, Camo seat covers, Replacement Bumpers, Hutch/Harpoon ,Cold A/C Mod, True Cool ,Bellowed Pipes,HO injectors,T-500.
2012 F350 4x4 Auto FX4
Old 01-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Senior User

DavidE is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for headsup Guys. Do you need any special tools,orings or other parts to change this hose? I want to carry with me so would appreciate part #s. Thanks
Old 01-18-2011, 04:46 PM