Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have changed this hose a few times, here is how I go about it

1 disconnect batteries.

2 remove drivers side battery

3 remove battery tray/ airfilter

4 remove driverside CAI pipe

5 replace hose

6 reinstall everything in opposite order.

It takes me about 30 min to do it this way.... An hour or more leaving everything in place

Old 01-18-2011, 05:00 PM
DavidE
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for info Steve. I take it no other parts or special tools needed. I see several PS hoses on my parts diagram so was trying to get right one being discussed here.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:03 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No special tools.The hose will come with a teflon oring on both ends.
Dumb me did not write the part number down from Autozoo.I was down and in a hurry.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:00 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

The hose wasn't that hard to swap out. We had a couple of feet of snow on the ground and I didnt need to pull anything else out to change the line. It was a PITA but not impossible.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:54 PM
electryc_monk
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This was majorly helpful... I admittedly didn't NEED to remove the battery from it's tray but, I did pop the Tymar Mod "off" and the subsequent hose pieces too....

BTW I DO have the part # from O'rielly's... will have to go get it off the box/reciept later this weekend.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Just blew the connection apart on my truck. Bummed a ride to the Ford dealer and paid $95 bucks for a new one... Luckily it blew in the parking lot here at work and not out on the road. I think I have some fluid and some wrenches...

Old 02-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Since I'm a "cagey old veteran" I skipped all the steps except replace the hose. Adjustable wrench worked fine. Took about 20 mins, explaining how EVERYTHING works to the immigrant security guy...

Old 03-23-2012, 12:52 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, add me to the list of a blown PS hose in that same location. I found out after getting my lifetime tire rotation today and pulled into an ajacent parking lot and heard moaning (I know, I looked too) and my brakes were mushy, was able to get it home.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:39 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Poppa,

When you blow a hose, it's really not "safe" to do much except replace the hose on-the-spot, and refill.

Limping it home will usually cause the pump to run dry, without any lubrication, and likely do internal damage.

Let us know if you got lucky and didn't.

Pop

Old 03-23-2012, 03:34 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

I was thinking the same thing. Metal shavings from a destroyed pump cant be good for the hydroboost or steering box.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:36 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Pop and jetdoc, no, no damage, plenty of fluid still in the res. I limped it home and washed underneath to find out if it wasn't just a back burp of fluid out the cap of the resovoir but its coming from one of the pressure hoses so I ordered all of them today via web order. I didn't hear any whining on the way back home so, we should be good, I hope, I'' let you all know. Just to let you know, I was taking advatage of my free lifetime tire rotations until the previous tire rotation the fella was jacking my truck up using the rear shock mounts and under the front u-bolts, I seen the shock mount later that evening was bent up and the front u-bolts were buggered up, I was ticked to no end and called to complain. Told this young fella don't do what the other guy did, under the axles I told him, and he did, then this. Done with them now.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:07 PM
autonoz
Senior User
I have power steering fluid leaking, but it looks like it is coming from the low pressure hose. Is that the fitting on the bottom. The fluid is not shooting out, it is just running out slowly.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:35 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread was 6 months dead. I am sure you had to dig for a few minutes to find it. Subscribing as I am sure my hose has never been replaced.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 1fixitman
This thread was 6 months dead. I am sure you had to dig for a few minutes to find it. Subscribing as I am sure my hose has never been replaced.
Depending on your mileage I'd replace all of them, high and low pressure hoses and cooler hoses. Prevenitive maintence on the other hoses that didn't leak or blow on my truck makes me feel better. Remember, pay a little now or possibly pay big later. (breakdown)

Old 11-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Tinkerbell73
Freshman User
I guess it was my turn to join the club, lol! Can't complain since I have almost 300k miles and have never replaced it before.

It sounds like its a PITA but I shouldn't have to remove anything? It blew in the back part of my property where I have no tools or lights or anything. Just wondering so I can doit all at once... :-)

Also, once it's been replaced, do I need to flush the system or just fill and go?

Quick Reply: High Pressure power steering hose