Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mass air conversions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:49 AM
big_ford_rednek
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mass air conversions

i am pretty close to putting in my 351w into my truck, just short a flywheel and a trans. i really wanted to put an edelbrock 5.8l truck intake, some gt40 heads, the bbk throttle body i already have and my cam. but can only put in my sd cam, and headers do to mysd compute. so i was looking around at mustangs unlimited and for $500 everything except the computer.
Includes:
-Pro-M 75mm Chrome "Bullet" Air Meter
-Pro-M Wiring Harness
-Factory Ribbed Intake Hose
-Reuseable Conical Filter
-Mounting Bracket
-Easy-To-Follow Instructions

Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories

so all i would need here is a eec iv puter for a 5.8l with maf ?

this sounds like a pretty good price?

they have one for a 302 with computer but then i would have to reprogram the ecm because i heard at like 3500 or 4000 rpms and under heavy load it really leans out.

also mass-air.com has their conversion kit fo $1300
why the difference in price? anybody used either one of these. i know a lot of people here have done conversions, and around here no junkyard has any trucks/ mustangs with mass air, so im kind of limited on options. ebay has a air box and meter and tube with an opening bid of $90, the pro m kit comes with filter and intake tube.

or would it be easiest to just buy the wiring harness through ist(mass-air.com) buy a new mass air meter and intake? wouldnt that be cheaper/easier?

sorry for rambling on, just a lot of thoughts going through my head.
price is an issue, the installing/fabricating not an issue/ to a point, but time is of the essence also.

thanks guys

Old 12-20-2009, 08:14 AM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used Pro M meters for a long time now , there excelent !! I would get the meter directly from pro m , you can talk to them on the phone & tell them everthing you have done to the truck & what injectors your using & they will tune a meter for your truck .....Lew

Old 12-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by big_ford_rednek
they have one for a 302 with computer but then i would have to reprogram the ecm because i heard at like 3500 or 4000 rpms and under heavy load it really leans out.
You heard wrong the 5.0 computer will do fine, and since you have a 5-speed your best bet is to pick up an mustang A9L just so you can add a tuner later on if you feel the need. I'd also suggest you use the regular Performer intake and not the truck version, sell that twin TB and get a 75mm single for the car style intake.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:06 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Originally Posted by Conanski
You heard wrong the 5.0 computer will do fine, and since you have a 5-speed your best bet is to pick up an mustang A9L just so you can add a tuner later on if you feel the need. I'd also suggest you use the regular Performer intake and not the truck version, sell that twin TB and get a 75mm single for the car style intake.
You beat me to it Paul. I was going to reply with the same thing. The Edelbrock truck intake is designed for use with E7 heads. It is slightly better than the factory 5.8L EFI intake, but if you are going to spend money on an aftermarket intake go with a car style.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:10 PM
big_ford_rednek
Senior User
will the regular performer have low end power? im not gonna rev it more than 4000 to 4500 at the absolute most. i just wanna have something with real low power band

Old 12-20-2009, 06:14 PM
big_ford_rednek
Senior User
also are all A9L's mass air?

Old 12-20-2009, 06:27 PM
monkei
More Turbo
Paul, don't you at least have to/want to change the displacement scalar in the 302 computer before using it in a 351?

"also are all A9L's mass air?"

Yes, all a9l are MAF EECS.

Since you're putting in a 351, the car intake will be fine. You'll make lotsa torque. Lightnings did, and they weren't even MAF.

"The Edelbrock truck intake is designed for use with E7 heads. It is slightly better than the factory 5.8L EFI intake".

I'd say this is stretching it, they do make better torque. Not enough to warrant the cost, IMO.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:35 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you only want to rev it to 4000 rpm , why change it to mass air ???

Old 12-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by monkei
Paul, don't you at least have to/want to change the displacement scalar in the 302 computer before using it in a 351?
Nope, my 5.8 ran for many years on an unmodified 5.0 mustang computer, even passed emissions tests. And the difference in runner length between any of these intakes is next to nothing so they will all make great TQ.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:26 AM
mike460
Elder User
will the regular performer have low end power? im not gonna rev it more than 4000 to 4500 at the absolute most. i just wanna have something with real low power band
Pretty much any of the EFI intakes that aren't box type uppers will do fine. I have a Trick Flow R on mine with a 3.08 gear and it totes the truck around fine at low RPM, though it was a little better with the Performer lower and Professional Products upper I used to have (but that intake was a total joke at anything above 3K compared to the TFR).

Just my $0.02

Old 12-21-2009, 11:42 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Originally Posted by monkei

"also are all A9L's mass air?"

Yes, all a9l are MAF EECS.

Since you're putting in a 351, the car intake will be fine. You'll make lotsa torque. Lightnings did, and they weren't even MAF.

"The Edelbrock truck intake is designed for use with E7 heads. It is slightly better than the factory 5.8L EFI intake".

I'd say this is stretching it, they do make better torque. Not enough to warrant the cost, IMO.
My point exactly. Edelbrock's own literature states they made a whopping 34 ft./lbs. more torque than stock: Edelbrock.com - Manifolds - Ford - Performer - 5.8L

Old 12-21-2009, 11:53 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Originally Posted by lew52
If you only want to rev it to 4000 rpm , why change it to mass air ???
Lew, that is a good question. Why spend all this time and money if you aren't going to rev. any higher than stock? If you are worried about having a cam that is not SD friendly what do you think that type of cam will do to the low RPM torque?

Maybe I am confused here, but it seems to me you could use the GT40 heads, a standard 5.8L roller cam, headers, a decent intake and stay SD. You could make reasonable gains on performance and not have to worry about a MAF swap. Maybe save the $$ of the MAF swap to get a custom cam designed for your combination of parts and performance goals.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Hitokori
Posting Guru
or u could scrap the efi and run carb and put any cam u can think up in it

i think the speed density is a joke its like driving the hmmv's no matter how hard u push the gas pedal to the floor its only going to go so fast

and droping a carb on it is cheaper and easier than having to hunt all the mas air sensors and trying to make stuff work

i like fuel injection... dont get the wrond idea there but u can change jet sizes in a carb cheaper that buying bigger injectors and power programmers

Old 12-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Hitokori
and droping a carb on it is cheaper and easier than having to hunt all the mas air sensors and trying to make stuff work
Ah.. no that's simply not true. Switching to a carb is a much bigger hack job than a MAF conversion, gotta rig up an ignition box and add a fuel regulator, and that's after you switch the intake, bolt on a junkyard carb that you just rebuilt, and rig up a throttle linkage. The parts needed for a MAF conversion can be had for around $200 used or from a junkyard, they won't need a rebuild, and the job can be completed in a few hours once you understand what wires go where, there's no way you're do a carb conversion that cheap or that quickly.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 AM
big_ford_rednek
Senior User

conanski

heads wouldnt work with sd?

and also an intake/ throttle body would effect the sd computer?

cuz i was planning on an edelbrock truck intake and a bbk 56mm throttle body. with headers, and the comp sd cam.

Originally Posted by Conanski
No.. all that stuff would need tuning on a mass air setup so SD simply has no chance. Forced induction with an FMU is SD compatable however and really the only way to get somewhat serious performance levels with this system.

this is my plans, and this is what i was going off of. i copied it from a different thread.

its mainlly the fact that i dont want to have to rev it up that high to make power. i want a truck build, lower powerband, lotsa usable tourque downlow. if the motor doesnt make good tourque below 3,000 rpms, then whats the point.

i also want a reliable motor that is gonna last. the higher you rev it, and the more you rev it higher, the less mileage you get out of it in the end. the motor has 20,000 miles on the rebuild, and i hate seeing it go to waste in my 89.

also, if the edl truck intake makes 34 ft/lbs with e7's, wouldnt it make more with gt40's? also, the truck intake is made for egr, where as most other intakes were not.

rla2005, thats what i was innitally planning on doing, heads, intake throttle body, sd cam and headers. but then was told the sd puter could only handle headers and a cam, which led me over to a mass air swap

and i had once thought about going carb, but thats way too much of a headache to even worry about.

Quick Reply: mass air conversions