1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Why do they keep screwing with this site?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 04:48 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My update. Vista/IE8/AVG. I googled "How to remove google ads" selected, How to remove google text ads. Proceedure: IE enter www.\windows\system32\drivers\etc next select host, right click, open, select notepad,high lite, ok, add to the list (type or paste)

127.0.0.1 (open space) paqgead.googlesyndication
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication

click "Save"

I haven't had a flash ad in three days. Maybe yahoo and others have a similar process.

Bye the way has anyone clicked on the word "Page" in the upper task bar, then select source. It prints these threads/ also covers ads/ evaluates members somewhat/ between 400 and 900 numbers, about Julies, 4t8 etc. anyone know what it is?

Old 12-21-2009, 06:20 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 49fordpickumup
Bye the way has anyone clicked on the word "Page" in the upper task bar, then select source. It prints these threads/ also covers ads/ evaluates members somewhat/ between 400 and 900 numbers, about Julies, 4t8 etc. anyone know what it is?
I think you are seeing the html version of the web page - this is where the programer writes the steps that show how the page loads and looks.

The last time we had a major screw up with the site I found the wrong instruction for an ad to display and posted it - finally one of the IT people changed the code and things started to work again.

My quess is that there is a problem between FTE software and IE8/Flash 10.

Telling the IT people that they have a problem is like telling an Effie Owner that they have to drive a Chevy forever.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:00 PM
lumbermansvo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an added data point, I'm running OS X 10.6/Safari with all the latest updates and I'm getting the same pop-up. If I tell it not to kill the script it just keeps popping up. If I tell it to kill the script it locks up Safari and I have to force quit and re-start Safari.

I don't have any other browsers to check it with.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:24 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by lumbermansvo
As an added data point, I'm running OS X 10.6/Safari with all the latest updates and I'm getting the same pop-up. If I tell it not to kill the script it just keeps popping up. If I tell it to kill the script it locks up Safari and I have to force quit and re-start Safari.

I don't have any other browsers to check it with.
You're using a browser (Safari) that is actually a version of Konqueror. (The standard KDE browser)

You too can download and use Firefox on your MAC (that's a truck isn't it? )

And although you can go to Mozilla.com to get it you can also get it directly from APPLE.

Apple - Downloads - Internet Utilities - Mozilla Firefox

Most or all of the Firefox add-ons work too....And you'll probably solve your problem.

And while you're at it you can try Open Office and Gimp too (Also Free)

All the above is available for Windows, Linux, UNIX and the MAC. Just download and install the appropriate version for your operating system.

You don't have to register, give them your email or anything so they cannot try to sell you anything or spam you into non-existence!

Cheers,

Rick

Old 12-21-2009, 09:25 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I am wondering if any one else is having the same problems I am having with this site. The last day or so every time I log on the board I get some BS window telling me something about a movie making Adobe Acrobat 10 run slow and do I want to discontinue running it. I press the "Yes" button but it doesn't help. Not only does it screw up this site then it messes up my entire computer, I have to go into the computer and manually turn off programs, wasting at least 5 minutes. No other site does this. I had this problem first on my home computer so I thought maybe it was the machine's problem but I have the same problem on my shop computer.

The genii administering this site seem to like to "fix" things on a regular basis and tend to screw up things that have been working just fine. No other site I go ever seems to have people messing around and screwing things up like this one. eBay likes to screw around with their system to keep us "safe", read make more money for themselves, but at least I've never noticed their adjustments screwing up the performance of their site, or my overall computer. It seems almost on a monthly basis some one sticks their fingers into this site and screws something up. The classifieds are almost completely useless, another "fix".

I suppose if I was a paying member I might be able to avoid the ads, which I suspect is causing the Adobe problem, but I'm not. I would assume since I have to endure the uploading of all the ads I am paying for it anyways. I don't think I should have to suffer ill effects on my computer. Site specific problems are a PIA but when they start screwing up the rest of the performance of my system that goes too far. I refer a lot of people to this site because of the knowledge and helpfulness of the board member, you guys and gals are the ones that make this site the best site on the net but there is another Ford truck specific site available to us, if this site gets to be too much of a hassle I can't see why we can't easily switch to that one. I know there are other FTE members who post on it. (I bet I'm going to a nasty email for this)

I bet you can tell I'm ticked. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

Hey Bob - Morris directed me to your issue.
First, our apologies for it occurring, it appears that there is an ad that is being sent from our affiliate partners that is causing the issue.
We have been trying to find out which partner (and which ad) is causing the issue, but haven't had any success thus far.
We are continuing to look, but if you see what ad is being displayed on the page when it is occurring, it would be of great assistance.

Separately we have turned off a bunch of our advertising partners when we became aware of the issue in the hope that it will fix it.
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
In that light, the site is it's people. Without them it is nothing.

Having worked in the IT community and have an understanding of both the constant threat from security issues, but also the lust that IT engineers have to constantly "play" with their product.

In the case of this site, there seems to be a very definate agenda, and discussed or not, the appearance is that the membership is not as high on the priority list as other goals or groups. Things get passed up, things may get discussed, but nothing changes or improves, only the agenda marches on. There are no responses to complaints, there are no changes to the user areas that get complained about, and when there is discussion from the administrators they simply pretend to not understand what you are talking about. As an example I site the many discussion we have had about data storage and the search engine capability.

Specific problems lie in the posting of photos; the poor search engine, animated advertising interfereing with processing speed and navigation capability, and loss of information. These are gross problems particular to this site and have been "in discussion" as long as I have been here - with no improvement.

Frank, it's not our responsibility to fix this site. And even when I have tried and provided more than enough information, there has been nothing but resistance - not part of the agenda. If anyone has noticed this site has constantly been evolving and changing geographically but not improving for the members. If you notice, everyday there is somethng a little different and sometimes they cause problems - like this one. So they are doing stuff.

These issues have been recognized by the membership, complained about - at length - and the only result has been that the members have actually had to implement other processes outside the site in order to make it functiuonal for the membership to trade technical data. The use of Photobucket, saving noteworth links to favorites to form personal tech libraries, and the production of personal websites to contain critical data and drawings to present to other members - for a few examples.

I don't expect any changes to come from this, as usual, but hopefully this will let the newer members know that those folks who have been around awhile are trying to take the steps necessary to help them whenever possible and provide the information they need despite the lack of support from the administrators and IT people running the site.

As I said, the site is it's people. And the people here are what make this site so great. It's time to support the members needs. I feel your pain Bob, hang in there!

Julie, forgive me here.
I understand where you are coming from, we try to make this site as member focused as feasibly possible.
We all care about the community, and the guys and gals that help moderate and administrate this site do too.
Forgive the rather emotional response, but sometimes when you spend days without sleep to keep the site online you take suggestions that
the appearance is that the membership is not as high on the priority list as other goals or groups
personally when you have so much blood, sweat (and on occasions) tears invested in it.

I am hardly saying we are perfect (we certainly aren't), but we do sincerely care.
Anyhow, enough of my heartfelt plea, onto the important stuff, the issues:
  • Search - we have made a multitude of updates to our search engine to improve performance. The current iteration is a completely custom search that we have built that runs off a sphinx engine Sphinx - Free open-source SQL full-text search engine (which from all reports is the best engine for mySQL databases - it powers sites such as craigslist, piratebay etc.) and integrates with this forum software in a seamless manner.
    To the best of my knowledge, everyone that has followed the FAQ I put up here isn't having any issues with search: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - FAQ: Board FAQ (and if they are having issues, I am not hearing them - so please speak up!)
    If you could elaborate what the issue is that you are experiencing with search, I would be more than happy to help with the issues you are seeing.

• Posting of photos, our older gallery system has had some issues in the past, but I do believe these issues were resolved relatively quickly.
    Which galleries were you having issues with?
    These ones: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Galleries
    Instructions: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...orum-post.html
    OR
    These ones: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Albums
    Instructions: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...galleries.html
    I would be happy to help diagnose further

• Animated advertising intefereing with processing speed and navigation capability.
    Ford-Trucks is a large site, with a wealth of information, and some really wonderful members (some of whom I have even been fortunate enough to meet ). To support such a large site with exorbitant hosting and hardware (to give you an idea, for the price of around 12 brand new F150's, you could purchase the firewall that Ford-Tucks sends its information through), and still make it free to our users to users.
    As a result, we rely on advertising to support these costs. We try to be as reasonably as possible (i.e. no popups, no ads that are not "family friendly" etc.), but to keep the doors open on the community we do need to run ads.
    We don't even block users that elect to visit the site with things like "ad blocker" installed, but we do need to have advertisements unfortunately to "keep the doors open".
    (you do of course have the option of becoming a member for $20 or so, and getting rid of all of the banner and in text advertising)

• loss of information This is really one I am not familiar with. Our database gets a "hot backup" every hour, and to the best of my knowledge we have never lost a post, thread, user or PM. If I am mistaken, my apologies, I would really like to know how to assist further
Originally Posted by brewster1
I've seen "Tire Rack" so many times I would never buy from them. By the way, I still can't get email notifications of the digest. The administration
sent me a fix (delete cookies, cleanup disk, etc) but it didnt work. If you're on dialup you're pretty much hosed.
jt
JT - it is possible that your e-mail server is blocking us/or putting us in spam.
If you can check, see if anything from "info@ford-trucks.com" is getting through to your e-mail.
If its not, shoot me an e-mail at adrian.harris@internetbrands.com and I can help further
I haven't gotten post notifications for about 2-3 weeks. The only way I know there are new replies to posts I've been part of is to come and check myself.
Bob, I am guessing yours is the same issue as JT.
Our mail server is showing that it is sending stuff to you, but obviously there is a link missing in the e-mail chain somewhere.
I sent you a test e-mail, let me know if you get it.
Thanks!
I am using about the same set-up: Vista Premium; IE8 but with Macafee Protection.

Vista has a Security Protocal called "Data Execution File Protection" that you can not turn off. It works in conjunction with either IE7 or 8. And it will shut down your IE if it senses certain things like malware or adware.

Want to test this? If you have Vista, go to your "USER CP." Run down the Left column to "Edit Gallery." If you have any galleries (not albums) listed in this section, try clicking on "Edit." Vista will close down IE right now and yowill get this cue:

"Internet Explorer has closed this webpage to help protect your computer

A malfunctioning or malicious add-on has caused Internet Explorer to close this webpage."

That's pretty clear.

This is from the Malware on the site.

Has it been brought up -yes! Has it been fixed - no! But maybe the IT guys don't think it needs to be, or they came up with a different solution. And that's one of the things here that's oddly interesting. Every picture that I imported - all 500 of them, is now in albums on my user page that I didn't create. And the photo's are accessable and the URLs transfereable from them. This is one of the "evolutions" I have noted on the site that are ongoing. I would imagine thee are quite a few of these "band aids" that have been emplaced from time to time. Maybe we have just hit on another one that a new version of Adobe is fighting with.
Julie,
It is possible that the Javascript we run to make uploading your photos easier may have some conflicts with, Vista Premium; IE8 and Macafee Protection.
I will do what I can to find a box running that combination and see if I can reproduce the error.

Thanks, and sorry for the issues y'all are encountering,
Adrian

Old 12-21-2009, 10:28 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Adrian,

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm glad it wasn't a conspiracy. (being the resident Linux geek here)I haven't had any of the problems mentioned.....but then I also don't see any "Black Helicopters" hovering in my backyard either ......

All kidden' aside, you guys are doing a GREAT job.

Thanks,

And Merry Christmas!!

Rick

Old 12-21-2009, 10:55 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Adrian,

The last time the system locked up on me, today, a LMC ad was at the top banner. I don't remember what ad was the the first two times I had the problem.

I far as I know, I haven't gotten your test emails.

Adrian, I appreciate your responses to this post. I am by no means an IT professional and have no idea of what you go through to make this site work. We all appreciate your work but to the naive, myself being one, it seems like IT guys just don't like to leave things alone when everything seems to be working fine. If you could please tell us what causes the problems. Does software wear out like mechanical items? What happens? I think if the unknowing, again like myself, who don't understand the software stuff could be brought up to speed on how it works. I'm not asking for everything you've been trained to do and have spent extensive time learning, dumb it down and just give us the bare basics. We're mostly a bunch of nut and bolt turners and we think all this computer stuff is voodoo.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:35 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Adrian,

The last time the system locked up on me, today, a LMC ad was at the top banner. I don't remember what ad was the the first two times I had the problem.

I far as I know, I haven't gotten your test emails.
Ok, thanks.
We will try contacting your e-mail provider and see if we can get them to allow our e-mails
Adrian, I appreciate your responses to this post. I am by no means an IT professional and have no idea of what you go through to make this site work. We all appreciate your work but to the naive, myself being one, it seems like IT guys just don't like to leave things alone when everything seems to be working fine. If you could please tell us what causes the problems. Does software wear out like mechanical items? What happens? I think if the unknowing, again like myself, who don't understand the software stuff could be brought up to speed on how it works. I'm not asking for everything you've been trained to do and have spent extensive time learning, dumb it down and just give us the bare basics. We're mostly a bunch of nut and bolt turners and we think all this computer stuff is voodoo.
To be honest, I am not an IT guy either, but the best way to explain it is that is like an old truck.
Some days things work beautifully, and then other days the transmission dies, you blow a head gasket and the right blinker fluid needs to be replaced
Software doesn't have a "shelf-life" so to speak, but as it gets older its security systems must improve so as to prevent it from being "hacked".
We typically don't make that many changes to the site, the last was probably about 3 months ago when we added the directory of our vendors, and our new classified system. Prior to that it was about 12 months ago when we upgraded the forum software.
In the coming 12 months we probably will have one more upgrade, which will be to the latest version of the software this site runs on.
Hardware on the other hand does date, and as the site has more and more posts and photos (a good thing ) it needs more powerful computers not only to store all of it, but to allow people to be searching through the larger library of information.

Hope that kind of explains it
Best,
Adrian

Old 12-22-2009, 09:49 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Adrian,

I use Godaddy for my site hosting and email accounts I don't have a problem with receiving emails notices from any of the other site I post on, just FTE and they only seem to start maybe a 2-3 weeks ago. I also have two different internet providers, one for home and one for business but I have the same problem on both so I doubt that's the problem. It has to be either FTE or Godaddy. I never changed anything on my Godaddy account unless they implemented some kind of security device on their end but if they did I would also think that it would filter out all of the notifications. Again, it's all voodoo to me.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:32 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Any way the wind blows!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Adrian,

Ever think about running for Congress?

I know -pick pick pick pick pick! All in good fun!

Merry Christmas

Old 12-22-2009, 12:14 PM
NumberDummy
Ford Parts Specialist

Received 648 Likes on 543 Posts
All the other sites I go to are completely free and have either no or minimal amount of side advertising and don't have any of the problems we encounter here. Many of the sites are set up identical to FTE and have less restrictions on posting and searches.
How many of those other sites have over 550,000 registered members?

How many of those other sites get as many "hits" a day as FTE does?

How many of those other sites are owned by a company that owns 100 websites?

Internet Brands owns FTE, and 99 other websites, so the same ads you see here are run on all of them.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:36 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by NumberDummy
How many of those other sites have over 550,000 registered members?
I don't know the stats of the all of the other sites I visit but by counting the number of members on the first page on the HAMB's member list (30) and multiplying that by the number of pages (86655) you get 2,599,650 members, that's slightly more than 550,000. Since I've been lurking over there for about 2 years, and posting for about a year, I have never noticed any major problems. Once in a while the site will become slow but the administrators will jump on with an apology let the members know there is a problem. Their boards are very easy to navigate, a very clear classified section, they have unlimited private messaging and allow new members to post and search without a minimum number of posts.

You can't go on one of their boards and have the same topic posted at the number 1 position for more than 2-3 minutes. The FTE's 48-60 board does not have that fast of a turn over rate. I check in on this board many times during the day and most times there are maybe 2-5 threads that are rotated through the first position and get maybe 15-20 replies, . Also, this board occasionally has a post brought up after a month or maybe a year and there will be one or two new replies. On the HAMB a rehashed post will get anywhere from 5-20 replies. Go to the HAMB and look at their average replies to any post and there will be over 100. I'm not knocking this board but if there are approximately 50 post with over 100 replies, only 10 with more than 200.
How many of those other sites get as many "hits" a day as FTE does?
Again, the HAMB has just as many or more than FTE. I am not a expert statistician and I haven't researched all of the FTE boards, I am just using the '48-60 board for my information. I believe this board is a good barometer of the action experienced on the other board. I could be wrong, maybe the other boards are lot more active than this one.

How many of those other sites are owned by a company that owns 100 websites?
The HAMB might not offer 100 but they do have numerous boards that are constantly being hit.

Internet Brands owns FTE, and 99 other websites, so the same ads you see here are run on all of them.
So they should have the system down pat and not have a conflict with viewer's browsers, especially those who use the most popular browser. Like IE or not, it's still the most used browser.

All I'm saying is with all of the ads that the non paying members get hit with every time we log on I expect this site to run as smooth as a site like the HAMB that don't have the ads, they do have some paying members.

Let me add this before anyone tells me to go over to the HAMB and stop complaining about FTE. I pay to come here, just like must of us do when we watch "free" TV, I endure the ads. I have been here a long time and have seen a lot of members come and go. The members here are the greatest. The vast majority of the members are very helpful and friendly. Over on the HAMB there are a lot of jerks. Some times you better have your asbestos underwear when you post over there. The guys over on the flathead site and the Buick site I stop at can at times seem very elite. There isn't much room on those boards for veering off the 100 point show winning restorations. Here on FTE every one seems welcomed no matter if you're building a 100 point car or, I hate the term, Rat Rod. I've gained a lot of knowledge from all areas.

It has been said before it's not the site that draws me here, it's the members.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:03 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Adrian,

I use Godaddy for my site hosting and email accounts I don't have a problem with receiving emails notices from any of the other site I post on, just FTE and they only seem to start maybe a 2-3 weeks ago. I also have two different internet providers, one for home and one for business but I have the same problem on both so I doubt that's the problem. It has to be either FTE or Godaddy. I never changed anything on my Godaddy account unless they implemented some kind of security device on their end but if they did I would also think that it would filter out all of the notifications. Again, it's all voodoo to me.
Thanks Bob - we will sort it out.
It will have occurred when we had our cyber attack occur about 3 weeks ago. While the attack was ongoing, it nixed our e-mail servers, all the e-mail notifications built up, and when we got everything working again the site had a lot of e-mails to send out.
We went from sending no e-mails to sending a lot of e-mails in a very short space of time and got dinged as "spammers" by most e-mail providers.
We have been in contact with all the ones that we were aware that had issues (MSN, Verizon, ***, Juno and a few others), I wasn't aware of any issues with godaddy, but we will sort it out with them
Thanks!
Hey Adrian,

Ever think about running for Congress?

I know -pick pick pick pick pick! All in good fun!

Merry Christmas
haha - I couldn't I am not a US citizen, plus, I don't think I would want the job either
Merry Christmas to you too!

Old 12-22-2009, 08:24 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Adrian,

Thank you for the attention you are giving this matter. I, along with the others I'm sure, appreciate it.

The postings I have made about this subject were made out of frustration. As I stated above this is the best site on the net, mainly because of the contributors but you guys are the ones keeping it together. Some times we just have to vent.

Everyone, have a Merry Christmas

Quick Reply: Why do they keep screwing with this site?!!!