Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Senior User

grandaddy's66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
can a diesel run "rich?"

I have a 1997 F250 with 140K miles and mods listed in my sig.

Son of a gun smokes live a chimney, ESPECIALLY when cold - it literally can engulf itself in a cloud of smoke (I cranked it at work once and left it for few minutes to let it warm up, and the fire department showed up because they thought the building was on fire!!! LOL!)

Once it warms up, it still smokes but a lot less. When I am near it, the smell of the smoke is so strong, it makes my eyes water. And it's not that sweet burnt diesel smell. It smells like I just stuck my head in an empty 55 gallon diesel drum. If it were a gasser, I'd swear up and down it's running "rich."

Any suggestions??

1997F250 4X4 XLT aka The Panzer
Hypermax H2e turbo, I/C & Stage 1 injectors
5 inch exhaust
Old 12-17-2009, 12:21 AM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Wrong section.
My 99 Powerstroke leaves no noticeable smoke at all. 205k.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:08 AM
Elder User

damons is starting off with a positive reputation.
StockiestWheel9
I'd like to continue this thread, I was going to start one. My 99 smokes. In short, the shop read 2 codes, bad turbo and #5 injector. I fixed the turbo, it was just a broken clip. Replaced the injector. I runs MUCH smooter, and smokes less (mine too was like a smoke bomp went off), now it smokes a lot less. I have noticed at idle it smokes, some, but when I take off after idle, POOF, then it's not really noticeable when driving. But it still stinks, like rich maybe? What is my next step? I will change my oil. (someone sugguested). It's black, the previous owner heavily abused this rig. I also want to mention I only have 138k on this rig.

Last edited by damons; 12-17-2009 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Update
Old 12-17-2009, 03:57 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
I'm guessing that the injectors are loose and excess fuel is leaking down around the injector nozzles past the copper sealing washer at the base of the injectors.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:25 AM
Post Fiend

bdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud of
To the OP, You will need to test your glow plug relay, and possibly the glow plugs. I am betting the smoke is a white smoke that is very acrid. That my friend is unburned fuel. You state that once its warmed up the smoke dissapates. With 4 gals of oil, and 9 gals of coolant it takes a 7.3 a good while to get the block warmed. We need you to perform a test. Before you go to bed tonight, go outside and plug your truck in, (block heater cord is under the front bumper, drivers side area.) If tomorrow morning(after being plugged in) the truck cranks without the smoke screen then its a glow plug problem. At 12 years old, as Dan suggested, your injector hold down bolts could be loose, so it may be time to crack the valve covers and retorque them.
PAA MEMBER # 7.3, 99.5 CC,4X4,SB, leveled,live tuned by Jody,1.15 van turbo w ATS housing,6.0 IC,AFE big boost filter, Petes Armour,fuel bowl delete,black MBRP stacks, 02 headlights,F650 dash, 16x10 MT wheels, 35" tires,and a bunch other stuff that wont fit in my sig. 425K and counting.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Elder User

StockiestWheel9
Well, since I did replace the #5 injector, while cover was off, I checked the other 3 and they seemed fine. The glow plugs were replaced 1000 miles ago. The smoke appears to be BLUE, not WHITE. And it's been very cold here, and I have it plugged in all night everyday. Same result. So........... now what?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Quote:
Originally Posted by damons View Post
Well, since I did replace the #5 injector, while cover was off, I checked the other 3 and they seemed fine. The glow plugs were replaced 1000 miles ago. The smoke appears to be BLUE, not WHITE. And it's been very cold here, and I have it plugged in all night everyday. Same result. So........... now what?
Compression test.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Post Fiend

Pocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandaddy's66 View Post

Son of a gun smokes live a chimney, ESPECIALLY when cold - it literally can engulf itself in a cloud of smoke (I cranked it at work once and left it for few minutes to let it warm up, and the fire department showed up because they thought the building was on fire!!! LOL!)

Once it warms up, it still smokes but a lot less. When I am near it, the smell of the smoke is so strong, it makes my eyes water. And it's not that sweet burnt diesel smell. It smells like I just stuck my head in an empty 55 gallon diesel drum. If it were a gasser, I'd swear up and down it's running "rich."

Any suggestions??
What color is the smoke?
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the Colorado diesel community.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Elder User

StockiestWheel9
As I stated earlier, it's definately blue.
Thanks.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Post Fiend

parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
With the engine running, open the hood and remove the engine oil filler cap.
Describe here the amount of smoke coming out, and the manner in which it does.
If there is a blowby problem, there might definately be a compression problem.

Just my 2 cents anyways.

To the OP, diesels can not run rich in the way you are thinking... While a gasser allows very little air, to full airflow to adjust throttle, a diesel always gets full air, there is no intake limiting valve.

In a diesel, throttle is adjusted by simply spraying more fuel, so yes they can run "rich", but it would be under heavy acceleration. What you are experiencing may be unburnt fuel, but it would be technically running fairly lean just idling.

In a diesel, the injectors simply spray as much fuel as they want, and because the fuel is instantly ignited by the compressed hot air, the engine needs no carburettor or fuel/air metering. It simply squirts the fuel, and burns it. There is obviously still a limit, as the air in the cylinder can only burn so much fuel, but other than that, its all in the fuel control. PS of course a turbocharger forces extra air into the cylinders, meaning more fuel. This is the point of the turbo...more power.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...-it-costs.html

Last edited by parkland; 12-17-2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 12-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Postmaster

CSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandaddy's66 View Post

Any suggestions??

Glow plug system needs maintance, be it a relay or plugs themselfs... Also, how long have the injectors been installed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrummonds View Post
To the OP, You will need to test your glow plug relay, and possibly the glow plugs. I am betting the smoke is a white smoke that is very acrid. That my friend is unburned fuel. You state that once its warmed up the smoke dissapates. With 4 gals of oil, and 9 gals of coolant it takes a 7.3 a good while to get the block warmed. We need you to perform a test. Before you go to bed tonight, go outside and plug your truck in, (block heater cord is under the front bumper, drivers side area.) If tomorrow morning(after being plugged in) the truck cranks without the smoke screen then its a glow plug problem. At 12 years old, as Dan suggested, your injector hold down bolts could be loose, so it may be time to crack the valve covers and retorque them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
What color is the smoke?
Quote:
As I stated earlier, it's definately blue.
Thanks.
We are talking to the orignial poster... you might want to start a new thread so there is no confusion...
Old 12-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Elder User

StockiestWheel9
Well I figured the original poster didn't belong in this forum, so we should continue mine.

Last edited by damons; 12-17-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Postmaster

CSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Well I figured the original poster didn't below in this forum, so we should continue mine.

Its not a big deal, but people are asking the OP questions that you are answering and it gets confusing...
Old 12-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Elder User

StockiestWheel9
Fine, so is it possible to start a new thread and refer to this thread so people can see what has been said?
Old 12-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Senior User

grandaddy's66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Wrong section.
My 99 Powerstroke leaves no noticeable smoke at all. 205k.
wrong section?? It's a 7.3 PSD.
Good for you and thanks for the help. Now, either come up with a troubleshoot or GTFO. Sheesh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead View Post
I'm guessing that the injectors are loose and excess fuel is leaking down around the injector nozzles past the copper sealing washer at the base of the injectors.
will check that. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrummonds View Post
Good stuff. Truck stays plugged in at night and during the day at work. The colder it gets, the more it smokes at startup and for several minutes after that until it gets good and warm. It is definitely unburnt fuel, of that I never had any doubt. Puffy, white/bluish, acrid, "diesely" smoke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
What color is the smoke?
puffy white/bluish

Quote:
Well I figured the original poster didn't belong in this forum, so we should continue mine.
didn't belong? Say what? It's my thread, fool.

1997F250 4X4 XLT aka The Panzer
Hypermax H2e turbo, I/C & Stage 1 injectors
5 inch exhaust
Old 12-17-2009, 10:29 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2004, 73, 99, alot, diesel, f450, ford, idle, odor, powerstroke, rich, runs, smoke, smoking, truck, white