Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

can a diesel run "rich?"

Old 12-16-2009, 11:22 PM
grandaddy's66
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can a diesel run "rich?"

I have a 1997 F250 with 140K miles and mods listed in my sig.

Son of a gun smokes live a chimney, ESPECIALLY when cold - it literally can engulf itself in a cloud of smoke (I cranked it at work once and left it for few minutes to let it warm up, and the fire department showed up because they thought the building was on fire!!! LOL!)

Once it warms up, it still smokes but a lot less. When I am near it, the smell of the smoke is so strong, it makes my eyes water. And it's not that sweet burnt diesel smell. It smells like I just stuck my head in an empty 55 gallon diesel drum. If it were a gasser, I'd swear up and down it's running "rich."

Any suggestions??

Old 12-17-2009, 12:21 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wrong section.
My 99 Powerstroke leaves no noticeable smoke at all. 205k.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:08 AM
damons
Elder User
I'd like to continue this thread, I was going to start one. My 99 smokes. In short, the shop read 2 codes, bad turbo and #5 injector. I fixed the turbo, it was just a broken clip. Replaced the injector. I runs MUCH smooter, and smokes less (mine too was like a smoke bomp went off), now it smokes a lot less. I have noticed at idle it smokes, some, but when I take off after idle, POOF, then it's not really noticeable when driving. But it still stinks, like rich maybe? What is my next step? I will change my oil. (someone sugguested). It's black, the previous owner heavily abused this rig. I also want to mention I only have 138k on this rig.

Last edited by damons; 12-17-2009 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Update
Old 12-17-2009, 03:57 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
I'm guessing that the injectors are loose and excess fuel is leaking down around the injector nozzles past the copper sealing washer at the base of the injectors.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:25 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
To the OP, You will need to test your glow plug relay, and possibly the glow plugs. I am betting the smoke is a white smoke that is very acrid. That my friend is unburned fuel. You state that once its warmed up the smoke dissapates. With 4 gals of oil, and 9 gals of coolant it takes a 7.3 a good while to get the block warmed. We need you to perform a test. Before you go to bed tonight, go outside and plug your truck in, (block heater cord is under the front bumper, drivers side area.) If tomorrow morning(after being plugged in) the truck cranks without the smoke screen then its a glow plug problem. At 12 years old, as Dan suggested, your injector hold down bolts could be loose, so it may be time to crack the valve covers and retorque them.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:05 PM
damons
Elder User
Well, since I did replace the #5 injector, while cover was off, I checked the other 3 and they seemed fine. The glow plugs were replaced 1000 miles ago. The smoke appears to be BLUE, not WHITE. And it's been very cold here, and I have it plugged in all night everyday. Same result. So........... now what?

Old 12-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
Originally Posted by damons
Well, since I did replace the #5 injector, while cover was off, I checked the other 3 and they seemed fine. The glow plugs were replaced 1000 miles ago. The smoke appears to be BLUE, not WHITE. And it's been very cold here, and I have it plugged in all night everyday. Same result. So........... now what?
Compression test.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by grandaddy's66

Son of a gun smokes live a chimney, ESPECIALLY when cold - it literally can engulf itself in a cloud of smoke (I cranked it at work once and left it for few minutes to let it warm up, and the fire department showed up because they thought the building was on fire!!! LOL!)

Once it warms up, it still smokes but a lot less. When I am near it, the smell of the smoke is so strong, it makes my eyes water. And it's not that sweet burnt diesel smell. It smells like I just stuck my head in an empty 55 gallon diesel drum. If it were a gasser, I'd swear up and down it's running "rich."

Any suggestions??
What color is the smoke?

Old 12-17-2009, 05:00 PM
damons
Elder User
As I stated earlier, it's definately blue.
Thanks.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:52 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With the engine running, open the hood and remove the engine oil filler cap.
Describe here the amount of smoke coming out, and the manner in which it does.
If there is a blowby problem, there might definately be a compression problem.

Just my 2 cents anyways.

To the OP, diesels can not run rich in the way you are thinking... While a gasser allows very little air, to full airflow to adjust throttle, a diesel always gets full air, there is no intake limiting valve.

In a diesel, throttle is adjusted by simply spraying more fuel, so yes they can run "rich", but it would be under heavy acceleration. What you are experiencing may be unburnt fuel, but it would be technically running fairly lean just idling.

In a diesel, the injectors simply spray as much fuel as they want, and because the fuel is instantly ignited by the compressed hot air, the engine needs no carburettor or fuel/air metering. It simply squirts the fuel, and burns it. There is obviously still a limit, as the air in the cylinder can only burn so much fuel, but other than that, its all in the fuel control. PS of course a turbocharger forces extra air into the cylinders, meaning more fuel. This is the point of the turbo...more power.

Last edited by parkland; 12-17-2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 12-17-2009, 06:58 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grandaddy's66

Any suggestions??

Glow plug system needs maintance, be it a relay or plugs themselfs... Also, how long have the injectors been installed...

Originally Posted by bdrummonds
To the OP, You will need to test your glow plug relay, and possibly the glow plugs. I am betting the smoke is a white smoke that is very acrid. That my friend is unburned fuel. You state that once its warmed up the smoke dissapates. With 4 gals of oil, and 9 gals of coolant it takes a 7.3 a good while to get the block warmed. We need you to perform a test. Before you go to bed tonight, go outside and plug your truck in, (block heater cord is under the front bumper, drivers side area.) If tomorrow morning(after being plugged in) the truck cranks without the smoke screen then its a glow plug problem. At 12 years old, as Dan suggested, your injector hold down bolts could be loose, so it may be time to crack the valve covers and retorque them.
Originally Posted by Pocket
What color is the smoke?
As I stated earlier, it's definately blue.
Thanks.
We are talking to the orignial poster... you might want to start a new thread so there is no confusion...

Old 12-17-2009, 09:35 PM
damons
Elder User
Well I figured the original poster didn't belong in this forum, so we should continue mine.

Last edited by damons; 12-17-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-17-2009, 09:43 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I figured the original poster didn't below in this forum, so we should continue mine.

Its not a big deal, but people are asking the OP questions that you are answering and it gets confusing...

Old 12-17-2009, 09:57 PM
damons
Elder User
Fine, so is it possible to start a new thread and refer to this thread so people can see what has been said?

Old 12-17-2009, 10:29 PM
grandaddy's66
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Wrong section.
My 99 Powerstroke leaves no noticeable smoke at all. 205k.
wrong section?? It's a 7.3 PSD.
Good for you and thanks for the help. Now, either come up with a troubleshoot or GTFO. Sheesh...

Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I'm guessing that the injectors are loose and excess fuel is leaking down around the injector nozzles past the copper sealing washer at the base of the injectors.
will check that. Thanks

Originally Posted by bdrummonds
Good stuff. Truck stays plugged in at night and during the day at work. The colder it gets, the more it smokes at startup and for several minutes after that until it gets good and warm. It is definitely unburnt fuel, of that I never had any doubt. Puffy, white/bluish, acrid, "diesely" smoke...

Originally Posted by Pocket
What color is the smoke?
puffy white/bluish

Well I figured the original poster didn't belong in this forum, so we should continue mine.
didn't belong? Say what? It's my thread, fool.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can a diesel run "rich?"