Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

SOLVED! No wts light, truck wont start cold.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Ericfrickey
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up SOLVED! No wts light, truck wont start cold.

Hi guys, im new here and have been scouring the internet for an answer to my problem and I noticed several other people had the same problem as me with no concrete answers. I want to share what worked for me in case it helps someone else.

I have been starting my truck every morning for the past 2 weeks with a small shot of ether because the wts ligt wouldnt come on and plugs werent heating up. I would turn the key and no wts light and I would get a clicking noise over and over. I tried a new relay, 8 new glow plugs, replaced a bad battery and put new battery terminals. I checked fuses and searched for corrosion and bad connections on wires nothing worked. The starter turned over perfectly everytime so I didnt suspect it or the solenoid as the problem, I was wrong!

Today I checked the solenoid on the starter and the positive post was wiggling in the solenoid. I tightened it up and the wts light came on and she started up from cold on the first try. I was relieved to say the least. I replaced the solenoid and starter for good measure because they were really old and rough looking not to mention the solenoid was literally coming apart. She starts awesome now and the wts light comes on everytime.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:48 PM
1989f250IDI
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ericfrickey
Hi guys, im new here and have been scouring the internet for an answer to my problem and I noticed several other people had the same problem as me with no concrete answers. I want to share what worked for me in case it
I have been starting my truck every morning for the past 2 weeks with a small shot of ether because the wts ligt wouldnt come on and plugs werent heating up. I would turn the key and no wts light and I would get a clicking noise over and over. I tried a new relay, 8 new glow plugs, replaced a bad battery and put new battery terminals. I checked fuses and searched for corrosion and bad connections on wires nothing worked. The starter turned over perfectly everytime so I didnt suspect it or the solenoid as the problem, I was wrong!

Today I checked the solenoid on the starter and the positive post was wiggling in the solenoid. I tightened it up and the wts light came on and she started up from cold on the first try. I was relieved to say the least. I replaced the solenoid and starter for good measure because they were really old and rough looking not to mention the solenoid was literally coming apart. She starts awesome now and the wts light comes on everytime.

Our glow plug systems are kicked on by our starters?

Old 03-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
No, but it sounds like his GP system gets its power at the solenoid.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Ericfrickey
Freshman User
Im not sure. I have about 3 weeks of experience with diesels as I just bought this truck and it is my first diesel. However, I do know there is no glow plug controller on this model only a relay because autozone sold me a gpc and I had to return it because there isnt one on this truck period. I believe the starter positive post completes the circuit for the glow plugs wts. It was definitely the problem because when I tightened the post up the problem was immediately fixed.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
What truck do you have? As far as I know ALL the IDIs have a controller. If you have the newer style it's under the relay.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Ericfrickey
Freshman User
1989 f250 2wd 7.3 idi. Relay is stand alone and bolted directly to passenger fender with nothing under it. I do know what youre talking about because when I bought the gpc it was just as you said a relay mounted to a plastic gpc box.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:30 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
what year is your truck? the 86-earlier trucks had a controller that screwed into the water jacket on the rear of the left head, the 87-up trucks have one that bolts onto the back of the intake manifold. some people bypass them in favor of a pushbutton. maybe your PO did something funny with the wiring.

i just had my 87 apart for a rebuild, so everything is fresh in my memory. there is a starter solenoid on the fender that serves mainly as a distribution block, as well as a solenoid on the starter. the starter recieves only the heavy battery wire and a small signal wire. all the fusible links, including the one for glow plugs, come from the solenoid mounted on the fender

all that said, you either had some funny wiring done by a previous owner, or its a total coincidence that your work solved the issue. i'm betting on the funny wiring

Old 03-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Ericfrickey
Freshman User
Its an 89. I will check the back of the manifold and get back to you on that tommorow. I dont think theres any funny wiring as everything has been kept original. I have pages and pages of receipts and service history from the original owner. The truck looks and operates like it would have originally aside from a door post issue and faulty guages.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:22 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the fender mounted solinoid is for starter,,the longer bolt acts as a binding post for nearly all electrcal loads on the truck,,his GPC is on the back of the manifold,,he had a louse conection,,caused his problem,,We learn together

Old 03-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro

Yellow circle is starter relay, all our trucks have that.
Red circle is glow plug relay in 86 and earlier trucks, you shouldn't have that obviously:

This photo is courtesy IDIDieselJohn. Being a van it shows a nice view of the rear of the engine. This is the GP relay/controller you have:

Old 03-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Ericfrickey
Freshman User
Hey C eater you were right on all counts. I went to start it this morning and the wts light came on for 10 seconds or so, I got excited for nothing because this time it just turned over as usual, just faster bc of the new starter but WOULD NOT START AGAIN! Had to give it crack again to start.

Also the gpc IS right where you said it was. Idk what to do. I want to replace it but if I drop another 100$ on this truck and it doesnt work I am gonna blow it up like uncle cy did his chevy.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Many, myself included, have opted for installing a manual button instead of dealing with those costly, unreliable controllers.

You can buy this kit to simplify the job:

6 9L 7 3L IDI Ford International Glow Plug Manual Relay Controller Solenoid Kit | eBay

Or just buy some wire and a push button and convert your relay to manual.

Here's how:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...le-system.html

Old 03-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Ericfrickey
Freshman User
Ok would you mind providing a link to wire that push button? Everything I can find shows how to wire the newer models on the fender but not my style on the manifold. Also, do you find it strange that my wts light comes on for 10 seconds now when its cold but the gps arent heating up? Thank you for your help I couldnt find anything on this style truck that was accurate until now.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
If the WTS light is coming on, but not the GP is sounds like the controller is working, but not the relay. Or the function of the controller telling the relay to kick in isn't working. You may need to do some more diagnosis.

If memory serves me on the new system all you do is disconnect the white wire from the relay and tape it off and set it aside. Run a new wire from that terminal to your button switch. The second wire from the switch goes to a good ground.

Push the button in, wait 10 seconds or so, release and start.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Ericfrickey
Freshman User
Ok im dumb u did post it. Sorry. I need to slow down

Quick Reply: SOLVED! No wts light, truck wont start cold.