Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Modular V10 (6.8l) SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Junior User

Zaner21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Remanufactured V10 stories?

I'm in the market for a remanufactured or used 6.8L motor. Just wondering if any of you have any tips or advice and also any stories... good, bad or otherwise?

Most of the local junkyards around me want $2000+ for a 2V 6.8L PI Head motor with >100k miles. $3000+ for <100k. Motor Works in Spokane has remanu for $2900. Jasper wants ~$4100. I read on here to expect ~$4500 from Ford. Another remanu company, whose name has slipped my mind, said to go with a used motor for the 6.8L because of the tight tolerances of the original motor, there's not enough material to remove to get a quality remanu surface.

I'm looking for some wisdom from the pro's. Thanks
Old 12-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Postmaster

mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.mwsF250 has a great reputation on FTE.
Craigslist! And this is a great time to find them as people want cash badly...

I stumbled on a private party deal last year. A 2006 V-10 with 6K miles, negotiated to well under $2K. Got the engine, wiring harnesses, complete intake ducting, A/C compressor, alternator, engine mounts, PCM, etc. Literally everything but the exhaust pipe!!! Still have tons of parts for spares and to sell. It was 500 miles from me, but I had friends in the area so it turned into mini vacation.

It was advertised in the RV section as a "parting out motorhome" ad. A 2006 motorhome that caught fire and burned out interior and most of shell. Engine was completely untouched.

Yes, it was a 3V when I needed 2V. Short blocks are effectively identical. I sold the COP's and other parts and used that cash to buy 2V PI heads from Clearwater Cylinder Heads. I still have the heads, intake, exhaust manifolds, and all of the accessory drive to sell, which if I get good price on will effectively make it a $500 dollar (or less) project.
'99 F250 V10 Super Cab Long Bed 4x4. '06 short block, PI conversion, modded airbox, 5 Star custom tune, FM50BB, 315/75-16 GY Duratracs, mild lift, 4.30 LSD, Ride-Rite bags, on board air, Rancho RS9000 w/MyRide, under bed subwoofer, 160 amp Quick Start large case alternator
Why, yes, I am some kind of geek engineer. Thank you for asking.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Elder User

Rugby3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Keep searching there plenty of deals out there for wrecked trucks with low mileage V10's in them. You should be able to find one for $3k or less with a little bit of time and effort.

01 F-250 XLT CC LB V-10 4x4
True Blue/Silver Metallic
Chris
Old 12-17-2009, 06:41 AM
Senior User

myblkex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've never used this particular company (Promar - link below ) - but they seem to be reputable... L/B $2900 remanufactured.

Engine Product Search

may be worth taking a look at. Otherwise you can never really go wrong with a Jasper

2000 V10 Excursion 4x4 w/ '05 Conversion
ProComp Lift with 315's, HID's, Cowl Hood
20% tint, Helliwig Rear Sway, XM Satellite
5 Star'd Tune *****
Old 12-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Check with Ed, the ford parts guy, forget his actual login name here.

He used to be able to arrange a Ford new or reman engine, with warranty, to be shipped to your local dealer. CHEAP.
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 12-18-2009, 11:20 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Parts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud of
where are you located? You might me able to willcall one from one of my powertrain warehouse's near you. I pm'ed you the price I can sell it to you for.

ed
Old 12-19-2009, 06:56 PM
New User

pcdiver2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
hey ed, i may be interested also, pm me if you would like . I live in Missouri
Old 12-21-2009, 12:41 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Parts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud ofParts Guy Wyatt has much to be proud of
your pm is turned off
Old 12-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Freshman User

bigjp is starting off with a positive reputation.
not sure if anybodies interested but i found this on craigslist. its not mine but seems like a good price for somebody

6.8L V10 For Sale
Old 01-12-2010, 07:16 PM
New User

mfg02 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ed, I can't figure out how to pm but I just found out tonight I need a new engine. I have a 2000 F250 2v v10. I heard you were the guy to talk to about a reman engine. Could you quote me a price. I live in Memphis tn.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfg02 View Post
Ed, I can't figure out how to pm but I just found out tonight I need a new engine. I have a 2000 F250 2v v10. I heard you were the guy to talk to about a reman engine. Could you quote me a price. I live in Memphis tn.

visit my site www.partsguyed.com use the contact us link and send me vin, info etc and let me see what I can do for you.

ed
Old 01-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Quote:
PMs require 25 posts before being enabled.

But Ed's already got you covered
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Quote:

sent you a email via my web site.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:32 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)

Tags
4x4, 68, 99f250, block, book, craigslistorg, engines, f250, ford, long, rebuilt, remanufactured, speed, v10, ypipe