1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

No Limit Rack & Pinion Kit for Straight Axle - Report

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:20 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,790 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Gustave,

Excellent write up and pics. Thank you for taking the time to put this all together

Bobby

Old 12-21-2009, 02:25 PM
rastiss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i do realize the driveshaft doing the same. however, i'd think this being a more verticle shaft has to move substantially more in and out than a drive shaft. but maybe not. depending on spring rates and all. still would like to know how it "feels" running down the road. cause my next concern is attaching it directly to the axle like that, you would be more prone to vibration. i also know that ALL modern vehicle have collapsible columns and have for decades. however, they do not collapse except in case of an accident. in fact, many newer vehicle have a device that blows along with the airbags to help disperse energy from an accident. so it's not just "your" corvette js292. i am a certified I-CAR frame/suspension/steering tech. collapsible columns are due to in large part the corvair. their "straight shaft" killed a lot of people. ralph nader killed the corvair with his "unsafe at any speed" book. i just want to make a sensible choice, especially since this is my sons pickup.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Dr G
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rastiss
i do realize the driveshaft doing the same. however, i'd think this being a more verticle shaft has to move substantially more in and out than a drive shaft. but maybe not. depending on spring rates and all. still would like to know how it "feels" running down the road.
True, a driveshaft is at a low angle, so the change in length is small for vertical movement of the rear axle. Drive axles on IFS rear ends will go through much more angularity, especially on something like a rally car for instance.

The steering shaft on the No Limit kit ends up at somewhere around 45 degrees I think. So just crunching some numbers, if the steering shaft rotated upwards by 3 degrees as it followed the front axle, it would change length by 5% or so. I'd need more detailed measurements for a better number.

In any case, from my driving so far, the system is transparent. But I've not had it on the highway at speed to comment on that.

Gustave

Old 12-21-2009, 06:16 PM
rastiss
Senior User
please post your driving info when you get a chance. and thank you for your write up. this is the best way for "real world" feedback. i really like the looks and all on it. just hate to spend the $ and find out it isn't what i hoped. but at least it is a bolt on deal, so if you don't like it, it's not bad to change. it's awefully hard to go back from a stang II crossmember. can't wait to hear how it does at speed on the hwy.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:03 PM
GeeJay
New User
Just came across this posting and was wondering who else may have tried this kit?

Looks really good, but the ad says you cannot use the STD 3 speed column change. So just fishing to see if anyone has found a way round that, or if there is no way round.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:17 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Had plans to purchase this setup fron NoLimit at the Nats. in '07 but they did not bring one with them . Go Figure .

Old 09-22-2010, 03:40 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
interesting info . seeing as my bessie is down and i've been eyeballing such things , but in a manual version ......................... something to consider now !

Old 09-22-2010, 05:52 PM
tlb
Elder User

I have put many miles on this same set up including a trip to Pigeon Forge this past may with no problems. Been on all types of roads at speeds up to 75 mph although i don't like to go that fast, i have had no problems. I have put over 4000 miles this summer alone and never get tired of driving the old truck.

Terry

Old 11-03-2010, 06:20 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
So can i use my original drum brakes? also i would love to use my original steering column and make it tilt.... Has anyone tried this?

Old 11-04-2010, 01:07 AM
jay54f100
Senior User
Yes this is a good write up. Does it have a version to fit the dropped axle. I belive that is a round axle. Im gona get the 3" dropped axle with the 4" dropped Leaf springs moved forword.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:54 PM
juang316
Senior User
Anymore info on that rack? I just purchased a F100 and im very interested in going this route plus alot of other mods and rebuilding of the front end. Mostly to no butcher the front end and second I can do all the work unlike the MII.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:38 PM
52 5 star
Senior User
I am starting to install the same rack and pinion on my 52 F1

Old 12-05-2010, 11:32 PM
juang316
Senior User
Yeah well let me know what you think im so tossed up right now between MII 03 crown vic rebuilding the front end. Im dumping a 400 hp crate motor and 3 speed with od tranny and already order a 9 inch for it. I built plenty of Chevy's before but never had to deal with this solid front axle. Just really like the body style of the truck so im gonna adapt as best as possible. Ps no volare for me did not like the way that looked.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:19 AM
Dutchie61
New User
Thumbs up No Limit R&P

I wonder if anyone know,s wat power R&P is bin used with the No Limit setup.Super setup actualy.Is there a Car,Truck ore Van that has a simular rack? (according to the demensions).
I,m living in Holland and for me it,s verry dificult to get parts for my 54 FFie and expensive to.Would be nice if one of you guy,s could send me the measurements from the rack.Maybe I can find a simular one at a yunkyard overhere.
Thanks.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:03 AM
lexcoe
Elder User
i think any rack suitable for a rear steer setup ( as in behind the axle) would work as long as its close to the correct overall width.
Threaded tie rod adaptors could be machined to offset the rack as needed.
Simple mounts to the axle also shouldnt be difficult to fabricate, and the double D sliding imput shaft is easily obtainable. Food for thought perhaps?

John

Quick Reply: No Limit Rack & Pinion Kit for Straight Axle - Report