Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Junior User

America is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why does my F350 PSD have two batteries?

This might seem like a dumb questions, but why does my 2001 F350 7.3L PSD have two batteries? I have two other F250, a 5.4L and 6.8L gassers, which both have 1 battery. Normally I drive the F350, but went on vacation for 3 weeks and of coarse the battery dies. When I went to jump it I notice two batteries. Do I charge both or just one? Is that normal for a diesel? or was the second one a add on?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:46 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Just about all diesel pickups get two batteries. The main reasons are 1) it takes a lot of starter motor power to crank them, and 2) glow plugs pull a lot of current.

If you have a bad battery you should replace BOTH batteries together.

I guess you don't open your hood too often, LOL.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 12-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Senior User

Tim98TA is starting off with a positive reputation.
I thought it was so they could fill that empty space on the drivers side.
'08 tailgate & rear lights / 2" wider fenders / repainted black w/blue pearl / stock emblems gone and now airbrushed / all lights and lamps replaced with smoked / SCTX3 by Innovative Diesel / 35" BFG KM2 MT / KMC Rockstars / 2" Level Kit / Bilsteins
Old 12-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Junior User

Thanks Bill, I don't open the hood much, as I routinely maintain my trucks at least every 3 months through my mechanic. I am somewhat handy mechanically, but if it's something new that I never worked on it will take me forever to fix. Also I'm a perfectionist on my own stuff. Free time with family these days is more important. The diesel was bought a few months ago and really didn't take a close look.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:13 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
you try to turn over 16:1 compression ratio and then you will know. plus the glow plugs and stuff, peak demand is why.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 12-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Posting Guru

Zmann has a good reputation on FTE.Zmann has a good reputation on FTE.Zmann has a good reputation on FTE.
and yes to your other Q they are connected so charging one will charge the other
Old 12-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Junior User

Thanks Guys, giving the F350 a good charge now and if it doesn't work, new batteries.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Posting Guru

Vijay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim98TA View Post
I thought it was so they could fill that empty space on the drivers side.
I agree with you...

Old 12-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Posting Guru

Ok, since you are in the market for new batteries, I suggest you to buy a higher CCA than stock. I use 875 CCA yellow top ones from Autozone. Optimas are little pricey but are very good...just a thought.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Posting Guru

Zmann has a good reputation on FTE.Zmann has a good reputation on FTE.Zmann has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay View Post
Ok, since you are in the market for new batteries, I suggest you to buy a higher CCA than stock. I use 875 CCA yellow top ones from Autozone. Optimas are little pricey but are very good...just a thought.
I bought the same auto zone batts ! the warranty was better than the optimas but I do like optimas for some applications just not pairs like this set up the chances of both optimas failing at the same time was low and good luck telling them you want 2 because 1 went south .. on the other hand wet cells are easy to make no worky so you can get 2
Old 12-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Posting Guru

I priced both Optima's and Yellow top ones from Autozone. It just made sense to buy Autozone brand at that time...

Old 12-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Post Fiend

Pocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant future
I'm also running the yellow tops from Autozone. The original Motorcraft batteries lasted 4 years before giving up the ghost. I threw on some Energizers after that, and they died in no time.

I've had the Autozone batteries for a few months now and they seem to hold a charge really well. Had some injector o-ring problems recently that I haven't fixed yet, so my truck has been sitting in the driveway for some time now. I had to use my truck last night, and the batteries were strong as ever. If they last as long as the Motorcraft ones, I'll be happy.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the Colorado diesel community.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Junior User

Fully charged, so hopefully stay charged. CA doesn't get too cold, but this last 2 weeks been cold. I'll keep the Autozone battery in mind.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Posting Guru

QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
This might seem like a dumb questions, but why does my 2001 F350 7.3L PSD have two batteries?
Primary purpose of batteries is to power the starter motor for engine start up. Two batteries double the available power available for the starter. This is important because the 7.3L diesel is harder to start then the gas engines. It is a larger displacement engine, has greater compression ratio, and needs plenty of cranking speed for the fuel system to pressurize and combustion to be supported. All this adds up to a more power hungry starter motor, greater current draw, and need for larger set of batteries.

Glow plugs also draw some current (100 Amp??) but it is not significant compared to the starter motor. If anything, the activity to operate the glow plugs helps to warm the battery a bit before starting, making the batteries more potent then if you did a fresh cold start crank.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Elder User

Cowboy65 has a very good reputation on FTE.Cowboy65 has a very good reputation on FTE.Cowboy65 has a very good reputation on FTE.Cowboy65 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwkTrip View Post
Glow plugs also draw some current (100 Amp??) but it is not significant compared to the starter motor.
On the 6.0 each glow plug draws 10-12 amps.
2006 F250 6.0 PSD SC SB ESOF FX4 XLT 3.73LS; BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO 265/70R17; Diesel Site Coolant Filter; Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40; WeatherGuard Tool Box; Stanadyne Performance Fuel Additive; Brand Motion iPod Adapter; Line-X Bed Liner; Leveling Kit; B&W Gooseneck Hitch; DashBoss; Wet Okole Seat Covers; Du-HA Underseat Storeage; BriteBox
Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
batteries, battery, charge, diesel, dual, duty, f250, f350, ford, forum, jumping, pickups, psd, super, truck