Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2009, 07:50 PM
New User

rkul80 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Truck pulls to the left (hard) when braking

Hi guys, so far you've been a great help. I got a little something for you. Right now I'm driving a 00 F-250 and when braking (not even hard) it pulls to the left. The first thing I thought of was a frozen pin in the caliper on the passenger side. Both were OK (replaced the pads 2 months ago). Next I replaced the passenger side caliper (since the pads were not worn equal - switched inboard with outboard), bled the brake lines. Didn't help at all. Then I took apart the brake lines cause I thought they may be clogged. Blew them out with air (I hope I can do that), the air was coming out on the other side so I guess there is no clog. Bled the lines again but it still pulls like crazy. WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT???
Thanks for any info.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Senior User

embry1123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
check your tires, sometimes a seperated belt in a tire can cause a severe pull.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Post Fiend

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
Pulling left should mean the right front tire is traveling faster than left. This could because the left is doing more braking or because the right isn't doing any at all. It could also be a matter of bump steer if the front end is submarining while braking.

</td><td> Look, see these two tow hooks? They look like tusks. And what kind of animal has tusks?</td></tr></table>
Old 12-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Junior User

95FordTruck02 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ive had this happen twice on my '02. The first time it was the dirty pin issue, that was solved with a shotgun barrel wire brush and some new lube. The second time the caliber was shot - a piston had just froze up. I had done the brakes not too long before, so that was definitely a surprise. Have you checked to be sure the pistons are functioning properly? Beyond that the only other guess I have is really a stretch, but could there be a problem with your passenger brake line being damaged and swelling when pressure is applied? This could cause the driver side to seem to function harder, however I doubt to the extent you describe. Good luck, i'd check those pistons.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:45 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
I've had braking pull to one side that I could not solve. I finally took it to a tire shop to have the brakes checked by a professional. The brake technician gave the brakes a clean bill of health, but showed me the pull was due to "radial pull". Same as you, I would experience a pull to the left when braking. The shop rotated my tires, putting the offending tire on the back axle and the pull went away.

Don't ask me why it worked, it made no sense to me at all, but it worked.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 12-15-2009, 12:57 AM
Freshman User

sprintnut is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the same pulling when braking, new tires eliminated this completely. Only had 32,000 miles but something (belt?) let go inside the tire. Since I tow a heavy fifth wheel it seemed prudent to replace all tires.
Good Luck
Old 12-15-2009, 06:06 AM
Ambassador

hanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputation
might wanna check your ball joints as well. Thats exactly what mine did (hard pull) until I figured it out and changed it

Buford T Justice "There aint No way, No way, that you could come from my loins"
Old 12-15-2009, 07:16 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
If you have elimated the brakes as an issue then a quick rotation of the tires is next, check all the driveline for play as you said this truck is a 2000 model, so what is your miles on the truck?

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 12-15-2009, 07:39 PM
New User

The truck has around 184K on it. The tires are only one year old and looking good (less than 5,000 miles on them). Will try to rotate them. Thanks for info.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:41 PM
New User

The ball joints were replaced last year and it has new U-joints now. I double checked the pins and pistons and everything seems to be OK. Unless the caliper is bad again (bought it at Autozone as a rebuilt one), now that I think about it, the caliper has a bit of a play even after I bled the lines and pumped the brakes several times. I think it shouldn't move at all, right? All bolts are tight, as far as I know. Let me know what you think about that.
Anyway I'm gonna rotate the tires now and if that doesn't help I will have to look at the caliper again. Don't wanna take it to the shop, especially when you have to maintain few more trucks. Every dollar counts now.
Thanks for the help guys. I'll post an update as soon as we get rid of the sub zero wind chills here in Milwaukee, WI.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:41 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
1999, 250, brakes, braking, breaking, f250, f350, ford, hard, left, pull, pulling, pulls, side, truck