1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

99 F-250 Light Duty won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:30 PM
TCA_Bowhunter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 F-250 Light Duty won't stay running

Ok new guy with a question and a long read, thanks for taking the time in advance.
Just to let you guys know I have just recently joined some Archery Forums and have found them to be a wealth of knowledge, yes you have to filter through the unwanted posts but for the most part I have found forums to be very informative and helpful. So my hope is this one can help me out with my truck issue as well as the other forum have helped me and get to know some truck guys too. That being said her is the problem.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
I own a 1999 F-250 Light Duty, only made one year, it has a 5.4 L Triton under the hood. I am overseas in Iraq with the US Army and I let my buddy borrow the truck and trailer to get our stuff off of our hunting lease in Texas. The truck made the trip without a hitch until they reached about a block away for my house where it died at the light. First thing I thought was they ran it out of gas, so I wasn’t too worried, they said they couldn’t get it to stay running when it got started again but managed to limp it to my house and it has been there since. I got home for my R&R break and took a look at what the issue was and it was out of gas “ go figure” well I put about 5 gals in it and cranked it didn’t want to start then it fired up, but died after idling for a bit. Then it didn’t want to crank again, I got it going finally and this time I thought it was getting better since it stayed idling for a long while. I put it in gear and started out and it died. So I cranked it again and it idled I gave it some gas put it in gear and got it to drive around for a short while then it died about 5 minutes later as I was turning around at the end of my street. I got it going again and back to the house where it is now waiting to go to the shop or me to fix it; I would rather fix it myself.
This is what I have diagnosed:
Two probable causes:
1) A fuel problem –
- Clogged fuel line
- Fuel pump went out
- Fuel filter (if I can find it or if it has one) clogged
-Injector pump bad or clogged
-Injectors clogged
2) Ignition system issue-
- Coils old or bad
- Electrical issue in general
<o></o>
I am leaning more toward the fuel issue that the ignition since I can get It going every once in a while and it acts like it I running out of gas. I have Chilton’s manual and look into the issue for about a day or so but I didn’t want to waste my entire R&R messing around with the truck instead of spending time with my family. My tour here is about to end I am about head back to Texas and home so I want to get my truck running and use it without burdening my son or extended family.
This truck has been a champ for me and I want to keep it for a few more years if possible.
Thanks again to all for reading and your help in advance.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Ron W.
Elder User
Nothing but a wild guess but if he ran the fuel pump dry it could be your problem, the fuel is the coolant for the electric motor in the pump assembly. And yes you have a fuel filter and it should be changed (in my opinion) about every 15k miles.
Good luck

edit: forgot to mention you can check fuel pressure with the correct tool.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:25 PM
eallanboggs
Elder User
You describe a bunch of symptoms. Sometimes it starts, but then it doesn't. Sometimes it cranks, but at other times it doesn't. Sometimes it runs and idles, but at times it dies. Let's be more specific in the description. Stop jumping all over the place.
What is the mileage?
What is the maint history?
Are any DTCs set(check eng lite "ON")?
What is fuel pressure?
What is fuel volume in 30 seconds?
Has fuel filter been changed.
There is a schrader valve on the fuel rail to measure pressure. A right angle adapter is helpful to connect the gauge.
When you have a crank, but no start you can spray starter fluid to see if starts. You need an assistant to crank the engine over as you spray the starter fluid with the air filter plenum removed.
A faulty IAC motor can cause the engine to stall after it starts. You can bypass the IAC by cracking the throttle slightly to see if that keeps it running.
Once you try all these things ask for more help.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:37 PM
TCA_Bowhunter
New User
Thumbs up Thanks

Guys thanks for the info, I will check all your sugestions when I get back to the states.

Your sugestions are really appreciated.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
When a truck with FI is run out of gas you need to cycle the key a few times to prime the line. 4-5 times of cycling the ignition will usually do it.