Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
Adding OEM fog lights to a 2008 XL

I know waigon did this a few months back, but I finally got mine and figured I'd share the experience...

This is a very easy DIY mod. I got the kit from PartsGuyEd.

The kit contains a new headlight switch (can be purchased with and without auto lights), a wiring harness that plugs into the factory connection, and two fog lamp housing assemblies w/bulbs...

First thing to do is find a 5/16 wrench of some type, I used a 1/4" ratchet with a 3" extension. This is the only tool that you will need.

I started with the switch. With the door open, pull the side panel off of the dashboard to get access to the headlight switch. Reach in and unplug the connector from the back of the headlight switch. With your right hand on the dash panel that contains the headlight switch (so it doesn't pop out) use your left hand to push the switch out from behind. This takes quite a bit of force, but there are only two metal spring clips that hold it in...and well. Push the new switch (w/fog lights) in where the old one (w/o fog lights) came out, plug in the connection from behind, and replace the side of the dashboard. With the ignition on and the radio off, turn on the headlights and pull the switch outward (to turn the fog lights on). As you do this, listen for the relay to click to make sure there is a fog light relay and it is operational... turn the headlights and the ignition off, and pop the hood... you're done inside.

Open the hood and use your 5/16" socket to remove the plates from where the fog lamps go (just outside of the tow hooks). Start with the top bolt on each one, as it is hard to get to and removing it first make it easier to turn since the plate is not dangling yet. Then remove the other two on each from underneath. The plastic plates can be removed from underneath by finagling them past the frame and bumper. Next, remove the hood stop from the passenger side (the one with the secondary hood release on it). The passenger side fog light cannot fit past the bumper, frame and headlight without removing something, and this is the easiest. The two bolts holding it are 5/16", too. Remove the lower bolt first, and then the upper bolt. Move the bracket, still connected to the truck by the release cable, out of the way (I placed it up over the radiator support). Once this is done, place one of the plastic plates that you just removed over the hood latch. This is to prevent you from closing the hood while the latch is not in the correct position.

Next, while the fog light holes are still empty, install the wiring harness. This harness will go under the frame and the rubber matt in the center. The fog light connection is on the driver side just to the outside of the horn. It will have a blank plug in it. Remove the blank plug, and plug in the harness. Route the harness down and to the outside of the hood stop. The first attachment point is on the hood stop. The second attachment point is on the bumper support (to make it easier to find, attach the first and third points then find the only hole that the second will reach). Route the harness down and under the frame along the bumper. The third attachment point (for the main run) is just underneath the frame and a little difficult to get to. The fourth and fifth attachment points are underneath the center rubber matt. Run the harness underneath the matt and attach where the holes are. The sixth and final attachment point for the main run is opposite the third, and equally hard to get to.

Now, the fog lights can be installed by slipping them in from above (complete the first before starting the second in order to prevent dropping and scratching the second while it is not secure). Install the light assemblies in the reverse that you removed the plates, and using the same bolts (lower two first, and then upper). Tighten them until the rubber just starts to deform. This will allow the housings to vibrate without fatigue, yet still keep them secure. Once you install the passenger side fog lamp assembly, replace the passenger side hood stop, too (upper bolt first, then lower) being sure to match the washer to the worn ring to make sure it goes back exactly where it came off.

Once both assemblies are secure, plug the connectors in, and attach the final two points. These are a few inches from the connection, and will attach to the lower inside leg of the fog light assembly.

The fog lamps can only be adjusted for elevation using the adjustment screw just below the light.

Pack your tools, box up the old parts, close your hood and wait for fog.

It is too dark to take pictures now, but I will if anyone wants them...
Old 12-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Elder User

bucci is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bucci is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for posting that info. I still want to do it to mine. Maybe when I get some money for christmas. I'd like to see some pics. Thanks again.
XL Trim with Power Equip. Group, XL Decor & XL Plus
9x7 Reading Dump Body with Scissor Lift & Chelsea PTO
Old 12-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Elder User

bucci is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bucci is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRebel View Post

It is too dark to take pictures now, but I will if anyone wants them...

Hey, how come you offered to take pics if anyone wants them, but didn't when I asked?

Did I tick you off or something?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Postmaster

TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
no... the semester is ending and I'm spending too much time inside and at my office... I'll have some by thursday.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Elder User

Ok thanks. No rush though, do what you gotta do. I just thought that something was wrong because you didn't give any type of reply.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Posting Guru

Wagion has a very good reputation on FTE.Wagion has a very good reputation on FTE.Wagion has a very good reputation on FTE.
You can get the passenger side one in with out removing anything. If you take the fog lamp adjustment screw out and slide it in just right it will go in.

Also the panel with switch on it comes off with the switch in it then you can easily remove the switch. I used a big pair of channel locks to squeeze in the tabs and it slid right out.

Replace the original bulbs with some 900? headlight bulbs and it is a huge difference.

Now someone just needs to figure out (and test it on there truck =) ) how to do the fog light on with high beams on the 08 and up.

I know there is one post here on how to do this that one of the electrical guru’s figured it out but it had not been tested and I'm not willing to try it on my truck. Especially with no dealership in town anymore
Old 11-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Senior User

66 BADBOY is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bringing this one back from the dead, as I will be doing this as soon as I get the $$$ to order from Ed. Hopefully next week or so.

Thanks for the great write up!!!

2008 F250 V10 CC 4x4 4.10LS, Western 8' Pro Plow, camper package, Line-X, Access Lorado Tonneau, TBC, Power Scope Mirrors, backup sensors. Self installed 5600lb springs, OEM Cab Clearance Lamps, and OEM Fog Lamps.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Senior User

cliles55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I bought the only 2008 F250 XL in the world that came "less fog light wiring"; can someone look at the wire colors for the shorting plug and reply? There is a cluster of wires that feed the corner light, low, and high beams behind the drivers headlight but no shorting plug to plug into the round connector on the light harness. I'm thinking, perhaps, wrapped up in the bundle toward the firewall, there are 2 wires that will connect to the harness (with the connector from Ford).

Other than not having juice, the install was pretty simple. I'd recommend looking for the shorting plug before beginning the install, though. It is a little disappointing now.

And partsguyed! Awesome logistics train!

Thanks,
Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
150, 2008, 2009, cab, f250, f550, fog, ford, harness, light, lights, mount, oem, wiring, xl