Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Numbers please!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:49 PM
jimford1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Numbers please!!

OK I am a Ford guy but have also owned some Chevy's. I always think about the 350 and 351 debate. Many people say they are very comparable engines. I was just wondering if there has ever been comparison tests done with the same modifications to both motors. Recent stuff though. Since the aftermarket is better with Fords now a days! My 351 in my 68 is basically stock, except for the edilbrock 600 carb and performer intake. It is really quick. My old 350 with the same stuff on it seemed to be the same! Dont know, just want opinions!

Old 12-09-2009, 02:46 PM
wild.bunch
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It might be best if you defined your question a bit. First of all, when you talk about a Ford 351, are you referring to the Cleveland or the Windsor motor?

Also, when you say "recent," then I'd assume that you are talking about modern components, as well?

The basic Windsor head is always going to be at a disadvantage to the basic SBC head, however the Cleveland head has the most potential of all. The final word, all things being equal, will go to the best flowing head and the best designed chamber. Clevelands will be best in both categories, except perhaps for the original stock exhaust ports. There are ways around this and aftermarket aluminum heads will address this deficiency.

SBCs have a good oiling system, which is a plus for not needing such extensive modifications, but if you are talking about an all-out motor, then that's a non-issue, since this problem can be addressed successfully.

Again, the question can also be looked at (from a parts selection standpoint) by knowing which block is selected, since alternatives to the OEM equipment is available for all of these engines.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Areyouforcereal?
Senior User
Not too technical of a reply but all I know is that my friends grandfather used to race dirt track and allways ran a ford, 351C. All the other racers used chevy 350's, mainly due to part availabillity and price. He would win hands down every time. He decided to quit racing because he got tired of having to tear his engine down for inspection, every time he was accused of cheating.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:59 PM
jimford1
Senior User
I was thinking of the Windsor. I know that the Cleveland heads are great flowing. But I was thinking of my Windsor. Was just looking to see if there have been any real comparisons that aren't biased.