1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

ot axe ring ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:49 AM
needhelp49
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ot axe ring ?

when my dad died mom gave me his fav ring. its silver and turquoise
i toke it to local jewler to have it sized and he said the stone was bedded in sawdust and wouldnt touch it.
do you have any suggestions on how to get it sized.
hope this makes sence thanks for any help joel

Old 12-08-2009, 08:26 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Wow,
I've never heard of that. You might try sending a message to AXracer, I believe he dabbles in jewelry

Bobby

Old 12-08-2009, 10:30 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Wow,
I've never heard of that. You might try sending a message to AXracer, I believe he dabbles in jewelry

Bobby
dabbles??? Does the pope "dabble" in religion?

The good news is that the jeweler you took it to was skilled enough to know his limitations and passed on doing the work.
The bad news is that he is likely right and resizing it is going to be problematic and expensive to have done safely and correctly. Depends on the sentimental value of wearing it, but you might want to consider displaying it under a small glass bell jar rather than having it sized.
Silver is very difficult to repair/rework, especially when set with heat and chemical sensitive stones, turquois being one of the worst.
A very skilled jeweler could unmount the stone(s) and do the resizing then remount it, but that carries a high risk depending on the quality of the stone. Much turquois is reconstructed (assembled from fragments with epoxy then cut and polished) or treated with wax or plastic, and/or dyed. Even the finest natural untreated turquois is very fragile and easily damaged, so requires a highly experienced hand and a lot of luck to remove. I am one of the best in the country and I would have passed on it.
Then final and best option if it is very important to be able to wear it is to find a jeweler who owns a laser welder and is very skilled in it's use on silver. Laser welders are very expensive ($40K and up) and have a steep learning curve for each metal. Most LW owners don't bother with silver work since most cutomers won't pay the cost of work that is significantly higher than the price/value of the item.
Whatever you do don't let anyone try to do the work with lead based solders! That will destroy the piece and preclude doing any additional work on it. Ask a lot of questions on how the work will be done of the person who will actually be the one doing the work. If they say they send it out or only let you talk to a sales clerk, walk away (with your ring in hand).
I stopped doing silver work a long time ago because of the problems involved.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:39 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Heh heh heh.....

...woke you up huh....LOL

Old 12-08-2009, 11:01 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Heh heh heh.....

...woke you up huh....LOL
dabbles...???
Does Ford dabble in building trucks?
Does Rupert Murdock dabble in newspapers?
Does Donald Trump dabble in real estate?
Does Ray Krock dabble in hamburgers?
Woke me up???? He!! yah you woke me up!
(Thanks, I really needed to get up and go out to my studio and finish the one of a kind platinum engagement ring with 18K gold trim, set with white and fancy yellow Asher cut diamonds, for my customer.)
dabbles... sheeesh.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:05 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
I know its got to be tough on you having to go out to that dump of a studio to fiddle around with the craft, but I have the utpost confidence in you, you'll be able to cobble something together to please the customer

Now, quit dawdling and get to work

Bobby

Old 12-08-2009, 08:14 PM
needhelp49
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you sir yes its vary sentimental my dad found the turquoise in scottsdale and our neighbour made the ring way back in the 60s i think he found it i know for sure the neighbour made it
its a vary nice ring so i wont touch it ill have my finger shrunk